Sophie Cookson (born 1989 or 1990) is an English actress best known for portraying secret agent Roxanne "Roxy" Morton / Lancelot in the 2014 spy film Kingsman: The Secret Service and its 2017 sequel Kingsman: The Golden Circle, and for playing the title role of Christine Keeler in the BBC One drama series, The Trial of Christine Keeler.
|Born||1989/1990 (age 32–33)|
|Alma mater||Oxford School of Drama|
|Partner||Stephen Campbell Moore (2018–present)|
Cookson was brought up in Sussex and later Suffolk where she attended Woodbridge School. She was involved in singing and musical theatre since childhood. After being part of a theatre company that had toured Japan, she decided to quit acting to study art history and Arabic at the University of Edinburgh. However, she soon dropped out to pursue an acting career and attended the Oxford School of Drama for three years, and graduated in 2013.
While still attending Oxford Drama School in her senior year, she was cast as Grace Mohune in the Sky 1 miniseries Moonfleet, based on the J. Meade Falkner novel of the same name. In early 2014, she appeared in the film adaption of the Rosamunde Pilcher novel Unknown Heart produced by German television network ZDF, portraying Millie Lancaster. The same year, she also landed her first big screen role, replacing Emma Watson for the part of secret agent Roxanne "Roxy" Morton / Lancelot in the spy film Kingsman: The Secret Service, based on the comic book The Secret Service by Mark Millar and Dave Gibbons. Also in 2014, Cookson was cast in the female main role in Lee Tamahori's action epic Emperor, about a young woman seeking revenge for the execution of her father by Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, opposite Adrien Brody as the titular Emperor. The movie was finished and screened at Cannes in 2017 but its release has been held up[update] by legal challenges.
In 2016, she appeared in the film The Huntsman: Winter's War in a minor role as the female huntsman Pippa. Beginning in June 2017, she appeared in the Netflix series Gypsy as troubled singer Sidney Pierce. However, the series was cancelled in August after just one season due to negative reviews and low ratings, even though the second season had already been in development. In July, she appeared in the horror film The Crucifixion, playing a journalist investigating a lethal exorcism performed on a nun, and in September of the same year, she reprised her role as Roxy Morton in the sequel to The Secret Service, The Golden Circle, while also appearing in a musical short for the song Pleader by British indie rock group alt-J.
|2014||Kingsman: The Secret Service||Roxanne "Roxy" Morton / Lancelot|
|2016||The Huntsman: Winter's War||Pippa|
|2017||The Crucifixion||Nicole Rawlins|
|Kingsman: The Golden Circle||Roxanne "Roxy" Morton / Lancelot|
|2018||Red Joan||Young Joan Smith|
|Ashes in the Snow||Ona|
|2014||Unknown Heart||Millie Lancaster||Television film|
|2017||Gypsy||Sidney Pierce||Main role|
|2019–2020||The Trial of Christine Keeler||Christine Keeler||Main role|
|2022||The Confessions of Frannie Langton||Madame Marguerite Benham||Miniseries|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2015||Empire Awards||Best Female Newcomer||Nominated|
|2020||Newport Beach Film Festival||Festival Honors Award - Breakthrough||Won|
|2022||Golden Raspberry Awards||Worst Supporting Actress||Nominated|
- Cookson, Sophie (8 June 2014). "Sophie Cookson". Interview (Interview). Interviewed by Chris Wallace.
- Halligan, Fionnuala (5 June 2014). "Sophie Cookson, UK Stars of Tomorrow 2014". Screen Daily.
- Putchko, Kristy (5 June 2014). "Newcomer Sophie Cookson Beats Out Emma Watson For Secret Service". CinemaBlend.
- Mitchell, Wendy (13 February 2012). "Lee Tamahori signs on for Corsan's Emperor". Screen Daily.
- McNary, Dave (18 August 2014). "TORONTO: Sophie Cookson Starring Opposite Adrien Brody in 'Emperor'". Variety.
- Fleming, Mike Jr (19 May 2014). "Cannes: Corsan Pairs Lee Tamahori With Adrien Brody For 'Emperor'". Deadline Hollywood.
- Rothe, E. Nina (10 July 2014). "Discovering an Emperor With Adrien Brody and Lee Tamahori in Cannes". HuffPost.
- Roxborough, Scott (5 July 2017). "'Emperor' Producer Paul Breuls Arrested on Fraud Allegations". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Andreeva, Nellie (11 August 2017). "'Gypsy' Canceled By Netflix After 1 Season". Deadline Hollywood.
- "Damian in The One: Stephen Campbell Moore has a very famous ex-wife!". Entertainment Daily. 14 March 2021. Retrieved 21 October 2021.
- "Sophie Cookson Is Ready for Action". Women's Wear Daily. 16 June 2021. Retrieved 5 September 2022.