Ashes in the Snow
Ashes in the Snow is a World War II drama film based on The New York Times best selling novel Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys. It stars Bel Powley, Martin Wallström, Lisa Loven Kongsli, Jonah Hauer-King, Peter Franzén and Sophie Cookson. It had its world premiere at the LA Film Festival on September 21, 2018.
|Ashes in the Snow|
|Directed by||Marius A. Markevicius|
|Produced by||Chris Coen|
Marius A. Markevicius
|Written by||Ben York Jones|
|Based on||Between Shades of Gray|
by Ruta Sepetys
|Distributed by||Vertical Entertainment|
|Box office||$1,071,561 (Lithuania)|
This is a coming-of-age tale of a young girl, who with her mother and younger brother is deported to a Soviet labor camp amid Stalin's reign of terror in the Baltic region during World War II. An aspiring artist, she secretly documents her harrowing journey with her drawings.
In 1941, sixteen-year old Lina (Bel Powley) is preparing for art school, first dates and all that summer has to offer. But one night, the Soviet secret police barge violently into her home, deporting her along with her mother and younger brother. They are being sent to Siberia. Lina's father gets separated from the family and put in a prison camp. Lina fights for her life, fearless, vowing that if she survives she will honor her family, and the thousands like her, by documenting the experience in her art and notes. She risks everything, hoping that her messages in art will make their way to her father's prison camp to let him know his family is still alive.
- Bel Powley as Lina Vilkas
- Jonah Hauer-King as Andrius Aras
- Lisa Loven Kongsli as Elena Vilkas
- Sophie Cookson as Ona
- Martin Wallström as Nikolai Kretzsky
- Peter Franzén as Generol Komarov
- Aistė Diržiūtė as Joana
- Tom Sweet as Jonas Vilkas
- Sam Hazeldine as Kostas Vilkas
- James Cosmo as Mr. Stalas
- Greg Kolpakchi as Greshnev
- Adrian Schiller
- Sarah Finigan
- Gabija Jaraminaitė
- Darius Meškauskas
- Ramūnas Cicėnas
On May 19, 2015, it was announced that Bel Powley was attached to play the lead role of Lina Vilkas. On November 3, 2015, Jonah Hauer-King was added to the cast. On February 3, 2016, it was announced that Martin Wallström was cast as the movie’s male lead, playing a Soviet officer taunted for being Ukrainian, who befriends the young girl and her mother. Norwegian actress Lisa Loven Kongsli was cast as Lina's mother Elena Vilkas, James Cosmo as Mr.Stalas, and Peter Franzén as General Komarov.
On September 13, 2018, official song for the movie was released. It was announced, that the cover of Bob Dylan song "Ring Them Bells", performed by Lithuanian singer Gjan, will appear in the end titles of "Ashes in the Snow". Music video for the song was directed by Marius Markevicius and features scenes from the movie.
- "Ashes in the snow (2018)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (February 3, 2016). "'Mr. Robot' Breakout Martin Wallstrom Joins Bel Powley in 'Ashes in the Snow' (Exclusive)". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 20, 2016.
- "Ashes In The Snow - Tauras films". Tauras films. Retrieved 2018-09-24.
- Roxborough, Scott (March 19, 2015). "Cannes: Bel Powley to Star in WWII Drama 'Ashes in the Snow'". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 20, 2016.
- Jaafar, Ali (November 3, 2015). "Jonah Hauer-King Joins WWII Drama 'Ashes In The Snow' Opposite Bel Powley". Deadline. Retrieved February 20, 2016.
- "„Tarp pilkų debesų" filmavime atgimė 1941-ųjų Kaunas". Hollywood Reporter. KINFO. May 19, 2016. Retrieved May 19, 2016.
- "Bestseller about Lithuanian exiles in Soviet Russia being adapted to film in Lithuania". Delfi.lt. January 29, 2016. Retrieved May 19, 2016.
- "Premjera: atlikėja GJan filmui „Tarp pilkų debesų" perdainavo žinomą Bobo Dylano dainą". 15min.lt. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- Kilday, Gregg (August 15, 2018). "LA Film Festival to Open With Music Doc 'Echo in the Canyon'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 19, 2018.
- "Ashes in the Snow". LA Film Festival. Retrieved September 19, 2018.