Ice Nine Kills
Ice Nine Kills (sometimes stylized as ICE NINE KILLS or abbreviated INK) is an American metalcore band from Boston, Massachusetts who are signed to Fearless Records. Best known for its horror-inspired lyrics, Ice Nine Kills formed in its earliest incarnation in 2002 by high school friends Spencer Charnas and Jeremy Schwartz. The group originally pursued a style of ska-punk into their own innovative blend of rock, but have since shifted into a style which has been described as theatricore, metalcore, melodic hardcore, post-hardcore, heavy metal, symphonic metal. Charnas is currently the only remaining founding member.
Ice Nine Kills
|Also known as||Ice Nine (2002–2006), INK|
|Origin||Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.|
To date, Ice Nine Kills has released three EPs: The Burning, 2 Song Acoustic and The Predator. Five full-length studio albums: Last Chance to Make Amends, Safe Is Just a Shadow, The Predator Becomes the Prey, and their most successful albums to date; Every Trick in the Book, which peaked at #122 on the US Billboard 200 and their most recent, The Silver Scream, released on the fifth of October 2018 to critical acclaim among fans.  Their band name is derived from the fictional substance ice-nine from the science fiction novel Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.
2002–2009: Formation and Last Chance to Make AmendsEdit
Ice Nine Kills was founded in 2002 under the name "Ice Nine" by high school friends Spencer Charnas and Jeremy Schwartz, before later recruiting drummer Grant Newsted in 2003 and swapped out their then-bassist (Patrick Morse) for Hobie Boeschenstein in 2004, but changed their name to Ice Nine Kills just before releasing their debut independent album Last Chance to Make Amends on April 20, 2006. However, they did record a demo, entitled "The Pop-Punk-Ska Years", in 2002, which would eventually be released in 2009.
The following year on November 20, 2007, Ice Nine Kills released their EP, The Burning through Red Blue Records. The band then set out on several national tours in support of the EP including opening slots on tours with I See Stars and Eyes Set To Kill among others.[better source needed] By 2008, the group had been invited to open for well-known acts such as As I Lay Dying, A Day To Remember, Thursday, Paramore and a one off performance on the Taste of Chaos 2009 tour. That same year, Ice Nine Kills released 2 acoustic tracks ("The Simple Act of Giving Up" and "Lifetime in a Week") on an EP titled 2 Song Acoustic.
In mid 2009, Schwartz decided to leave the band after struggling with life on the road, leaving Charnas as the only original member. Charnas then recruited former members of the Rochester NY based post-hardcore band Remember Tomorrow which had recently disbanded. This shifted Ice Nine Kills' sound into more of an experimental metalcore sound to which Ferret Music took notice and signed the band in the spring of 2009 and after their appearance on Warped Tour 2009 the band began writing and recording their next record.
2010–2013: Safe Is Just a Shadow and The PredatorEdit
Ice Nine Kills released their second full-length album Safe Is Just a Shadow on July 12, 2010. Vocalist Dave Sieling, who has since left the band, contributed clean vocals along with Spencer Charnas. The album received praise from heavy metal magazine, Revolver in the 2010 Hottest Chicks in Rock Issue and subsequently the band was invited to attend the Revolver Golden Gods awards in Los Angeles CA on April 20, 2010. The band supported Safe Is Just a Shadow with a two-week appearance on Warped Tour 2010, and a supporting slot with Michigan-based nu metal band Taproot. The band performed on a headlining tour in the summer of 2011 as well as a performance at the Darien Lake NY stop of Warped Tour 2011 on the Dzambo Stage.[better source needed] The band released a music video inspired by the film Inglourious Basterds for their song "The People Under the Stairs" on June 20, 2011. That same day the band announced their partnership with Outerloop Management who represent We Came as Romans, Refused, and Periphery among others.
On May 12, 2012, it was announced that the band would be the opening act for the 2012 edition of The All Stars Tour featuring Suicide Silence, The Word Alive, Dance Gavin Dance, I See Stars, and Attila. Prior to The All Stars Tour the band supported Like Moths To Flames on their first headlining tour in Canada in Early June as well as a small midwest run supporting Norma Jean in July.
It was announced on August 16, 2012 that the band would be supporting We Came As Romans and Abandon All Ships for a Canadian Tour taking place September 11 through the 17th. The band would close out 2012 by taking part in the "Party with The Devil" tour with Attila, Make Me Famous, Issues (ex Woe, Is Me members), and Adestria from October 26 to November 15, followed by a short run with Like Moths To Flames from December 2 to 9.
On November 22, 2012, Ice Nine Kills released an official lyric video for their new single "The Coffin is Moving". On that same date, they launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise money to fund their New EP. On December 22 the band announced that they had raised over $21,000 for their Kickstarter campaign and that their new EP "The Predator" would be released on January 15, 2013. To celebrate this announcement they released a second single from the EP entitled "What I Never Learned In Study Hall" featuring guest vocals from Tyler Carter vocalist of Issues. The acoustic version of the song was released on January 8 on the Take Action compilation volume 11 via Hopeless Records.
The band's second EP entitled The Predator was released on January 15, 2013 and debuted at No. 9 on the Billboard Heatseekers chart.
On March 13, 2013, the band announced they would be playing the first 2 weeks of the 2013 Vans Warped Tour on the Ernie Ball stage as well as The All Stars Tour featuring Every Time I Die, Chelsea Grin, Terror, Iwrestledabearonce, and more.
On July 9, 2013, the band release the official video for the song "The Coffin Is Moving".
On November 4, 2013, the band released a new single titled, "Connect the Cuts".
2014–2015 The Predator Becomes the PreyEdit
On January 8, 2014, the band released the second single from their forthcoming album, "The Power in Belief".
Ice Nine Kills released their full-length effort The Predator Becomes the Prey on January 21 through the newly created Outerloop Records, an imprint of Fearless Records. The album marks the band's first entrance into the Billboard Top 200 charts landing at #153. The album also debuted at #3 on the top heatseeker's chart, #38 on the independent label chart, and #13 on the Hard Rock charts.
On February 27, 2014, Ice Nine Kills Released a music video for 'Let's Bury The Hatchet... In Your Head'.
On February 6, 2015, INK released a music video for 'The Fastest Way To A Girl's Heart Is Through Her Ribcage'.
On February 19, 2015, Ice Nine Kills released a new song called 'Me Myself & Hyde' from their new album scheduled for fall of 2015
2015–present: Every Trick in the Book, Safe is Just a Shadow re-release and The Silver ScreamEdit
On September 17, 2015, the band signed to Fearless Records who released their then-upcoming album Every Trick in the Book. The lead single and music video, "Bloodbath & Beyond" was released on September 25. The second single, "Communion of the Cursed", was released on October 22. The music video was a 'shortened remake' of The Exorcist. Every Trick in the Book was released on December 4, 2015.
Ice Nine Kills released a re-recorded version of their 2010 album Safe Is Just a Shadow on January 6th, 2017. Vocalist Spencer Charnas described the reasoning, stating "With the evolution of our skills as musicians, and the original producer, Steve Sopchak, having established himself at the top of his craft, we felt this was a perfect time to re-record the album and give it that extra attention that it always deserved."
In March 2017, they released a music video for "Nature Of The Beast" inspired by the book Animal Farm. Additionally, the band was featured on the Fearless Punk Goes Pop series Punk Goes Pop 7 covering "I Don't Wanna Live Forever" originally by ZAYN and Taylor Swift on July 14, 2017. Afterwards, the band toured with Motionless in White and Chelsea Grin, while working on their upcoming studio album.
On June 20 2018, Ice Nine Kills released "The American Nightmare", the first single from their upcoming album The Silver Scream. It was accompanied by a music video inspired by the film A Nightmare on Elm Street. The Silver Scream was released on October 5, 2018 and marked the band's highest chart debut to date. The album scanned almost 19,000 copies in its first week landing the band their first top 10 record on the billboard top album chart. It features thirteen songs inspired by thirteen separate horror films.
In an interview with Wall of Sound on September 24 2018, Spencer Charnas revealed the band collaborated with Less Than Jake on the song "IT is the end" which is based on the movie IT. Less Than Jake provided the brass instrument section of the song to give it a "sinister, carnival, circus vibe" The album also features a track called "Rocking the Boat", in which the band namedrops all of their previous releases and former singer Jeremy Schwartz makes a guest appearance.
On January 1, 2019 former bassist Shane Bisnett passed away at age 31. Frontman Spencer Charnas revealed the news via Instagram sharing a video and anecdotal story about his former bandmate who recorded bass on the band's 2010 album Safe Is Just A Shadow.
The band will release their sixth music video this 2019 for their song "IT Is the End".
On the 23rd March, their bassist Justin Morrow parted ways with the band, joining Motionless In White. The band wrote “We are excited for Justin and wish him nothing but the best,” on their Facebook page.
- Heaney, Gregory. "Ice Nine Kills Biography by Gregory Heaney". AllMusic. Retrieved 23 June 2018.
- Birt, Elizabeth. "We Chat To Ice Nine Kills On Their First UK Tour | Interview". Altcorner.Com. Retrieved 2018-01-18.
- "Listen To The New Ice Nine Kills Album - News - Rock Sound Magazine". Rock Sound Magazine. Retrieved January 18, 2018.
- "ICE NINE KILLS TO RELEASE THE SILVER SCREAM VIA FEARLESS RECORDS ON OCTOBER 5". Shockwave Magazine. June 29, 2018.
- Newton, Caleb. "Album Review: Ice Nine Kills – The Silver Scream". Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- "Ice Nine Kills Plays Webster - Hartford Courant". Courant.com. Retrieved 2018-01-18.
- "Ice Nine Kills - Chart history | Billboard". www.billboard.com. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "Norma Jean This Or The Apocalypse, Ice Nine Kills". Retrieved 23 June 2018.
- "Last Chance to Make Amends by ICE NINE KILLS". Amazon. Amazon.
- "Ice Nine Kills- The Burning". Red Blue Records Online Store. Red Blue Records. Archived from the original on March 16, 2011. Retrieved June 5, 2011.
- "The Gauntlet - Ice Nine Kills". The Gauntlet. Retrieved June 5, 2011.
- "Ferret Music to release Ice Nine Kills album". Lambgoat. Lambgoat. Retrieved June 5, 2011.
- "2 Song Acoustic: Ice Nine Kills". Amazon. Amazon.com. Retrieved June 5, 2011.
- "Interview with Ice Nine Kills front man Spencer Charnas". Hellhound Music. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- firstname.lastname@example.org, Mary Reines. "Ice Nine Kills signs with Fearless Records". Marblehead Reporter. Retrieved 2016-02-21.
- Ice nine kills (2010-07-02), Safe Is Just A Shadow, RED BLUE RECORDS, retrieved 2016-02-06
- "Ice Nine Kills at the Golden Gods released". AllMusicRelated. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- "Ice Nine Kills new album "Safe is just a shadow" released". AllMusicRelated. Retrieved June 5, 2011.[permanent dead link]
- Gannaio, Anthony. "The Vans Warped Tour 2010 Experience". The NewReview. TheNewReview. Archived from the original on February 24, 2011. Retrieved June 5, 2011.
- "Exclusive Warped Tour Dzambo Stage Announced". June 2011.
- "Ice Nine Kills Added to All Stars Tour". AbsolutePunk. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- iceninekilled (2012-11-22), ICE NINE KILLS - The Coffin Is Moving (Official Lyric Video), retrieved 2016-02-06
- "Ice Nine Kills EP/CD RELEASE FUND!". Kickstarter. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- iceninekilled (2012-12-24), ICE NINE KILLS - What I Never Learned In Study Hall (ft. Tyler Carter), retrieved 2016-02-06
- "Ice Nine Kills Release New Song, "The Product of Hate", to Benefit Victims of the Boston Marathon Bombing". April 27, 2013.
- Outerloop Records (January 23, 2014). "Ice Nine Kills "The Coffin Is Moving" (Track 3)" – via YouTube.
- "Connect The Cuts Song".
- "Listen: Ice Nine Kills Release New Song, "The Power In Belief"". January 8, 2014.
- "Ice Nine Kills Sign With Newly Formed Outerloop Records Label | Theprp.com – Metal, Hardcore And Rock News, Reviews And More". Theprp.com. Retrieved November 13, 2013.
- "Ice Nine Kills 'The Predator' Debuts At No 9 On Billboard's Heatseekers Chart". Top40-Charts.com. Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- "Ice Nine Kills - Tickets - The Lab at GameChangerWorld - Howell, NJ - November 24th, 2015". Ticketfly. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- "Ice Nine Kills announce Fearless Records debut, 'Every Trick In The Book' - News - Alternative Press". Alternative Press.
- "Ice Nine Kills Streaming New Song "Bloodbath & Beyond" - Theprp.com". September 25, 2015.
- "Ice Nine Kills Retell 'The Exorcist' with "Communion of the Cursed" - Bloody Disgusting". bloody-disgusting.com.
- "Albuquerque's Launchpad welcomes Ice Nine Kills and more".
- "Ice Nine Kills Re-Record "Safe Is Just A Shadow" Album For January Re-Release - Theprp.com". November 30, 2016.
- "Ice Nine Kills film a twisted take on 'Animal Farm' in "Nature Of The Beast"—watch - Features - Alternative Press". Alternative Press.
- "'Punk Goes Pop Vol. 7' features State Champs, Dance Gavin Dance, New Years Day, more - News - Alternative Press". Alternative Press.
- "Motionless In White, Every Time I Die, Chelsea Grin & Ice Nine Kills Announce Tour - Theprp.com". December 11, 2017.
- "An Interview With Punk Band ICE NINE KILLS About Their Involvement With PUNK GOES POP VOLUME 7 And More! - All Access Music". music.allaccess.com.
- "Ice Nine Kills part ways with drummer". June 14, 2018.
- "Ice Nine Kills Debut Eerie New Standalone Single "The American Nightmare" / the NOISE".
- "Ice Nine Kills Debut 'Nightmare On Elm Street'-Inspired Visual For "The American Nightmare" / the NOISE".
- Desk, BWW News. "Ice Nine Kills To Release THE SILVER SCREAM on 10/5, Band Drops Video for THE AMERICAN NIGHTMARE".
- "ICE NINE KILLS: 'Thank God It's Friday' Video". July 17, 2018.
- Hurcom, Carys (September 24, 2018). "Spencer Charnas – Ice Nine Kills 'Thrills, Chills and Silver Scream Spills'". Wall of Sound.
- brownypaul (2019-01-04). "Former Ice Nine Kills bassist Shane Bisnett has passed away at age 31". Wall Of Sound. Retrieved 2019-01-04.
- "Former Ice Nine Kills bassist Shane Bisnett dies at 31". Altpress.com. 2019-01-03. Retrieved 2019-03-06.
- "Ex-Ice Nine Kills Bassist Shane Bisnett Dies at 31". Loudwire.com. Retrieved 2019-03-06.