Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union
Her Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, or informally Brexit Secretary, is the Secretary of State responsible for the United Kingdom's withdrawal from the European Union, informally referred to as "Brexit". The secretary will oversee withdrawal negotiations following a nationwide referendum on 23 June 2016, in which a majority voted in favour of exiting the EU. The office-holder is a member of the Cabinet.
Secretary of State for
Exiting the European Union
Royal Arms as used by Her Majesty's Government
|Department for Exiting the European Union|
|Style||The Right Honourable
|Member of||British Cabinet|
|Reports to||The Prime Minister|
|Appointer||The British Monarch
on advice of the Prime Minister
|Term length||At Her Majesty's pleasure|
|Inaugural holder||David Davis|
|Formation||13 July 2016|
The position was created at the outset of the premiership of Theresa May, who became Prime Minister of the United Kingdom on 13 July 2016. May reportedly ordered civil servants to find a building to house a new Department for Exiting the European Union, to be headed by the Secretary of State. The headquarters of the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) at Whitehall Place, which is to be vacated once the DECC is merged into the newly created Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, was viewed as a potential site for the department. The department now occupies 9 Downing Street.
The inaugural holder is David Davis MP, a longtime Eurosceptic who campaigned for the UK to leave the EU. Davis is a former chairman of the Conservative Party who served in the government of John Major as Minister of State for Europe (1994–97) and in the Shadow Cabinet of David Cameron as Shadow Home Secretary.
List of Secretaries of State for Exiting the European UnionEdit
Colour key (for political parties):
|Portrait||Name||Term of Office||Party||Prime Minister||Ref.|
MP for Haltemprice and Howden
- Minister of State for Europe
- Shadow Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union
- Minister for UK Negotiations on Scotland's Place in Europe
- Brexit, Article 50, and other articles – Wikipedia book (includes articles on UK and EU treaties, policies, institutions, law and justice, and EU history)
- Cecil, Nicholas (14 July 2016). "Brexit Secretary David Davis says UK 'will quit the EU in December 2018'". Evening Standard. Retrieved 14 July 2016.
- David Davis appointed to lead Britain's Brexit negotiations, Reuters (13 July 2016).
- Matt Foster, New Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy swallows up DECC and BIS — full details and reaction, Civil Service World (14 July 2016).
- "New ministerial appointment July 2016: Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union" (Press release). Prime Minister's Office, 10 Downing Street. 13 July 2016.
- Adam Taylor, David Davis: The man in charge of getting Britain out of the E.U., Washington Post (14 July 2016).
- John Crace, David Davis spells out his EU strategy: be more like Canada, The Guardian (4 February 2016).
- Theresa May's cabinet: Who's in and who's out?, BBC News (13 July 2016).
- "Rt Hon David Davis MP". UK Parliament. Retrieved 3 November 2017.