Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology
Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology (SLIET), a deemed university, was established by the Government of India in 1989. The campus is situated on 451 acres in the Longowal, Sangrur district, Punjab, India. SLIET is fully funded by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, and is an autonomous body controlled by the SLIET Society. Educational opportunities include technical and practical training in the fields of engineering and technology.
|Motto||yogaḥ karmasu kauśalam (Sanskrit)|
Motto in English
|Excellence in action is yoga|
|Chairman||Jagdish Rai Singal|
|Campus||451 acres (1.83 km2)|
Established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) in 1989 and formally inaugurated in December 1991, SLIET was established to provide education in areas of engineering and technology. It was named in memory of Harchand Singh Longowal, a Sikh political party leader who was assassinated in 1985 after signing a peace accord with the government of Punjab. At the time of Longowal's assassination, Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi called it "a tragedy not just for Punjab but for the whole country. He worked courageously . . . to remove hatred from the hearts of men and to bring peace after so much strife and pain."
The institute initiated certificate and diploma programmes in 1991, and the degree programme in 1993. Post graduate courses in four disciplines were initiated in 2003. All degree programmes were accredited in 2003 by the All India Council for Technical Education, and an impact assessment and review were conducted by Educational Consultants India in 2004. The institute was previously affiliated to Punjab Technical University. However, it was later accorded the status of Deemed to be University during the year 2007–08.
The Board of Governors of SLIET is under the SLIET Society, and headed by Sh. Jagdish Rai Singal Managing Director of Eastman Industries Ltd., Eastman Cast & Forge Ltd. and Director of Eastman Auto & Power Ltd. and Ministry of Human Resource Development officials. The Administration Section of SLIET, Longowal is having Dy. Registrar, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, who also looks after the library and function under the overall managerial control of the Registrar and Director.
SLIET receives its funding from the government, student fees and research funding by industry-sponsored projects.
There are four deans, who look after different functions who are appointed by Director for a period of two years, with registrar as the central officer, who is appointed by Board of Management and is also member secretary of building works committee, head of examinations, planning and monitoring board and only authorised official to make outside correspondence on behalf of Institute.
The admissions to the B.Tech programs run by the institute is based on Joint Entrance Examination Main (JEE Main) conducted across India. Admissions to the MTech programs are by the GATE exam conducted by the IITs and IISc. The postgraduate admission is on the basis of research and interviews by the appropriate screening committees.
For foreign students, admissions are done through Direct Admission of Students Abroad (DASA) scheme.
SLIET is located 19 kilometres (12 mi) east of Sangrur. It is situated on 451 acres (183 ha) of land provided by the Punjab government. The property is landscaped and well maintained to provide for an aesthetically pleasing environment.
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Disabilities Studies
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Food Engineering & Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Management and Humanities
The Health Center has been established in the institute premises in a covered area of approx. 400 sq mts.,with capacity of four beds. It provides day to day medical facilities at primary level to the students,staff and faculty.For general awareness ,Health Center organize various seminar/camps with the help of District Health Deptt.
Clubs and Student ForumsEdit
SLIET has various clubs & student forums which span a range of interests among students. The clubs come under the purview of the Student Faculty Welfare. Each club is represented by a coordinator who co-ordinates the activities of the respective club.
There are 14 hostels (10 boys and 4 girls). The hostels are named after Indian scientists.
|Engineering – India|
There are two major annual festival that take place at SLIET,Longowal every year :
- TechFest : a tech festival of the college to showcase the technical skill of the students.TechFest'19
- Madhuram : a cultural festival.
SPIC MACAY SLIET ChapterEdit
SPICMACAY (Society for the Promotion of Indian Classical Music and Culture Amongst Youth) is a non-political nationwide voluntary movement that organizes programs of classical music and dance, folk arts, crafts, yoga, classic cinema screenings and much more inside the schools and colleges throughout the world to make students more aware about the Indian and world heritage. It was founded by a renowned professor of IIT Delhi, Dr. Kiran Seth in 1977.
SPICMACAY in SLIET, Longowal is an official club which provides a great platform for all the talented performers. The club is not just an exquisite platform to showcase the talent but also an opportunity to grow and learn from other fellow performers and enhance their pre- acquired skills. It also organizes various workshops where famous and approachable artists are invited to learn more and improve.
Alumni-institute interaction is developed and maintained through the Alumni Network and Alumni chapters across world under directions of SLIET Alumni Association (SAA). SAA It also helps in conducting the annual alumni meets. Alumni from SLIET contribute to the society in various fields like Academics, Science and Engineering, Public Service, Corporate Service, Entertainment, Defence, Arts & Design, etc.
- Sunil Sood,Vice President IT & Cloud, Ericsson
- Preeti Gupta,Vice President, Accenture
- Viney Mehta,DGM, Godrej & Boyce
- Millind Kumar Jha, Senior Program Manager, Adobe Systems
- Sandeep Chouhan,Scientist, ISRO
- "Administration of SLIET Longowal". administration.sliet.ac.in. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- "NAAC Accreditation List". NAAC.
- "About the Institute". Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology, Longowal. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- "Institute History". Ministry of Human Resource Development. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- "Sikh Leader in Punjab Accord Assassinated". Los Angeles Times. 21 August 1985. Retrieved 23 January 2016.
- "Punjab Colleges > Sliet".
- "SLIET students violent protest". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- "Powers and duties of Officers and Employees". Sant longowal Institute of Engineering & Technology. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- "Deemed University Status". The Tribune.
- "Academic rules". SLIET Academic Dept.
- "Sliet Brochure(2013)" (PDF). sliet.ac.in. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2019 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "Sandeep Chouhan of Rampur is working in Chandrayan-2 Mission Of ISRO". Retrieved 13 June 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology.|