Sangrur district is in the state of Punjab in northern India. Sangrur consists of the cities of Dhuri, Lehragaga, Malerkotla, Sangrur, and Sunam. Other cities are Ahmedgarh, Amargarh, Bhawanigarh, Dirba, Khanauri, Longowal and Moonak. There are 8 sub-divisions, being Sangrur, Malerkotla, Dhuri, Sunam, Lehragaga, Moonak, Ahmedgarh and Bhawanigarh. Barnala was once also a part of the district.
|• Total||3,685 km2 (1,423 sq mi)|
|Elevation||232 m (761 ft)|
|• Density||450/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
According to the 2011 census Sangrur district had a population of 1,655,169 of which male and female were 878,029 and 777,140 respectively roughly equal to the nation of Guinea-Bissau or the US state of Idaho. This gives it a ranking of 300st in India (out of a total of 640).
The district has a population density of 449 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,160/sq mi). Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 12.3%. Sangrur has a sex ratio of 885 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 67.99%.
- Gurchet Chitarkar, actor
- Binnu Dhillon, actor & Comedian
- Naresh Goyal, founder of Jet Airways
- Saeed Jaffrey, actor
- Irshad Kamil, lyricist and poet
- Bhagwant Mann, actor, comedian & politician
- Rana Ranbir, actor, Comedian & Writer
- Udham Singh, Indian independence activist, who assassinated Michael O'Dwyer in March 1940.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 1 October 2011.
Guinea-Bissau 1,596,677 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- Decadal Variation In Population Since 1901
- "9 OPDs to begin at PGI's satellite centre at Sangrur soon". Hindustan Times. 22 December 2015. Retrieved 8 September 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sangrur district.|