Sandeep Reddy Vanga is an Indian director and screenwriter who is primarily associated with Telugu cinema. He made his directorial debut with the successful Telugu film Arjun Reddy. He also directed Kabir Singh (2019), the Hindi remake of Arjun Reddy.
Sandeep Reddy Vanga
Sandeep Reddy Vanga was born in Warangal, Telangana to Prabhakar Reddy and Sujatha. He has an elder brother, Pranay Reddy Vanga, who has produced the film Arjun Reddy. He did his schooling from Platinum Jubilee High School, Warangal till 8th standard and then moved to Hyderabad to continue from 9th standard to 12th standard. He received his bachelor's degree from SDM College of Physiotherapy, Dharwad.
2005–2012: Early careerEdit
Vanga worked as an apprentice for the film Manasu Maata Vinadhu in 2005 for 25 days at Rushikonda Beach, Vizag. He worked for a few Tollywood films, including Kedi (2010) as an assistant director with Kiran Kumar and Malli Malli Idi Rani Roju (2015) as associate director with Kranthi Madhav. He started writing the script for Sugar Factory for his directorial debut, but shelved it and started working for Arjun Reddy.
2013–2017: Directorial debutEdit
Vanga started writing the script for Arjun Reddy in 2013 and finished it in a year. Producer Swapna Dutt and actor Sharwanand showed interest to work in the film, however it didn't pan out, as Sharwaand had multiple projects in the queue at that time. He was introduced to Vijay Deverakonda by a common friend. He cast him as the lead for his directorial debut Arjun Reddy. The film was released on 25 August 2017 and became a blockbuster hit with rave reviews. The film, produced on a budget of ₹4-5 crores, went on to gross more than ₹50 crores (US$8 million) at the box office. The film ran into trouble with the censor board for its depiction of smoking and narcotic drug use. It also created a furor for its kissing scenes and also for a movie poster which was approved by Telangana Film Chamber. Senior Congressman and Telangana Political Leader, V. Hanumantha Rao raged over the positioning of this Matured film to the audience. He went on to roads peeling off posters and stickers of the film promoting audience not to encourage such violent films.
2018–present: Recent workEdit
The next year, Vanga made a cameo appearance as Vedantam Raghaviah in the biographical film Mahanati. The same year, it was confirmed that Vanga himself will be directing the Hindi version of Arjun Reddy titled as Kabir Singh. He signed up Shahid Kapoor as lead. Kiara Advani was roped for playing the female lead. The film was produced by Murad Khetani and Ashwin Warde and the rights to the original film were purchased for ₹15 million. The filming began in July 2018 and the movie was released on 21 June 2019 and became a commercial success at the box office.
In January 2021, Vanga's next directorial, starring Ranbir Kapoor was announced. The film titled The Animal is poised to be a sci-fi crime produced by T-Series, Bhadrakhali Pictures, and Cine1Studios. His next directional Spirit was announced on 7 October 2021. It will be starring Vijay Joseph, Vishal, Ram Charan Teja, Siva Karthikeyan, Gautham Karthik and will be produced jointly by UV Creations, Konidela Productions, T-Series and Bhadrakali Pictures.
Vanga married Manisha in 2014. The couple has a son, who was named after the film, Arjun Reddy and a daughter.
|2018||7th South Indian International Movie Awards||Best Debut Director (Telugu)||Arjun Reddy||Won|
|Best Director (Telugu)||Nominated|
|65th Filmfare Awards South||Best Director – Telugu||Nominated|
|49th Cinegoers Awards||Best Debut Director||Won|
|2019||26th Screen Awards||Best Director||Kabir Singh||Nominated|
|21st IIFA Awards||Best Director||Pending|
- Lohana, Avinash (3 June 2019). "Kabir Singh director Sandeep Vanga: I named my son Arjun Reddy". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 27 January 2021.
- "Arjun Reddy: SS Rajamouli showers praise on 'Arjun Reddy' | Telugu Movie News". The Times of India. Retrieved 31 August 2017.
- "Arjun Reddy movie review: Vijay Deverakonda's film deserves to be celebrated : Reviews, News". India Today. Retrieved 31 August 2017.
- "Arjun Reddy Hindi remake, starring Shahid Kapoor in Vijay Devarakonda's role, to release on 21 June 2019". Firstpost. 31 July 2018. Archived from the original on 30 October 2018. Retrieved 30 October 2018.
- "Taapsee Pannu says her film Thappad does not oppose Sandeep Vanga Reddy's Kabir Singh, but physical abuse in a relationship". Firstpost. 2 February 2020.
- Irani, Shaheen (30 January 2020). "Is Taapsee Pannu's 'Thappad' a tight slap to Sandeep Reddy Vanga's 'Kabir Singh'?". DNA India.
- "Sandeep Reddy Vanga in Much Demand". greatandhra.com. Retrieved 31 August 2017.
- "Director Manjunatha to watch out for!". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 31 August 2017.
- Jayakrishnan (10 September 2017). "Arjun Reddy box office collection week 2: Vijay Devarakonda starrer collects Rs 41.5 crore worldwide". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 2 April 2018. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- Dundoo, Sangeetha Devi (9 September 2017). "Three hours and a huge hit later". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 2 April 2018. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "Telugu film 'Arjun Reddy' reaches the Rs 50 crore club". The News Minute. 16 October 2017. Archived from the original on 6 February 2018. Retrieved 6 February 2018.
- "Vidya defends Kabir Singh". Asian Age. 17 February 2020.
- "Ranbir Kapoor to star in Sandeep Reddy Vanga's crime drama Animal". The Indian Express. 2 January 2021. Retrieved 2 January 2021.
- "Spirit: Vijay,Arun Gogikar, Vishal, Ram Charan, Siva Karthikeyan, Gautham Karthik and Sandeep Reddy Vanga team up for #RC25 - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 October 2021.
- Niraj, Shruti (27 February 2020). "Arjun Reddy director Sandeep Reddy Vanga welcomes baby girl. Details inside". www.ibtimes.co.in.