Sam Young (American football)
Sam Young (born June 24, 1987) is an American football offensive tackle who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys in the sixth round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played college football at the University of Notre Dame.
Young with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2014
|Born:||June 24, 1987|
Coral Springs, Florida
|Height:||6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)|
|Weight:||316 lb (143 kg)|
|High school:||St. Thomas Aquinas|
(Fort Lauderdale, Florida)
|NFL Draft:||2010 / Round: 6 / Pick: 179|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
|Player stats at PFR|
Young attended Pine Crest School, playing tight end in football, defense in lacrosse, center on junior varsity basketball, and competed on the weight lifting team. After his freshmen season he transferred to St. Thomas Aquinas High School.
He was moved to left tackle and did not allow a sack during his junior and senior years. He was a two-time Florida Class 5A All-state selection. He also practiced the discus throw and won the state title in the shot put, breaking a school record.
In 2005, he was a Parade All-America first-team selection and received the Florida Gatorade Player of the Year. Following his stellar high school football career, Young was invited to play in the 2006 U.S. Army All-American Bowl.
Young accepted a football scholarship from the University of Notre Dame. He made history by becoming the first true freshman to start the season opener on the offensive line (right tackle) since freshmen became eligible in 1972. He was named 2006 first team Freshman All-American by The Sporting News.
As a sophomore, he started the first 2 games at right tackle, before being switched to the left side for the remaining 10 contests. The next year, he started 13 games at right tackle.
As a senior, he started all 12 games at right tackle, helping the offense to finish fifth in the nation in passing (323.5-yards per-game) and eighth in total offense (451.8-yards), while averaging 30.1 points-per-game. In his college career, Young made 50 starts on the offensive line and all consecutive (both were school records at the time).
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 8 in
|34 1⁄2 in
|10 1⁄8 in
|5.24 s||7.73 s||29.5 in
|8 ft 08 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
Young was selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the sixth round (179th overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft. He was active in three games of the 2010 season, contributing on special teams. He had a disappointing training camp in 2011, and was reportedly beaten often by defenders in practice. He was waived on September 5.
On September 6, 2011, he was claimed off waivers by the Buffalo Bills. He appeared in 4 games and was declared inactive in 12 contests. In 2012, he played in 12 games with 4 inactive designations and 4 starts at right tackle in place of an injured Chris Hairston. On October 7, 2013, he was waived after appearing in four games with one inactive designation.
On October 8, 2013, the Jacksonville Jaguars claimed him off waivers and was active in 11 games, playing mainly on special teams. The next year, he played in 9 games, with 6 starts at right tackle and was declared inactive in 6 contests.
On March 9, 2016, Young signed a one-year $910,000 contract with the Miami Dolphins. On September 3, he was released as part of final roster cuts. He was re-signed on October 11, 2016. On December 28, Young signed a one-year $1.15 million contract extension. He appeared in 8 games and made one start at left tackle because of injuries. In 2017, he played in 10 games, starting six at right tackle in place of the injured Ja'Wuan James. On March 23, 2018, Young re-signed with the Dolphins on a one-year contract.
San Francisco 49ersEdit
- "Player Bio: Sam Young - University of Notre Dame: Official Site for Notre Dame Athletics". Retrieved September 6, 2015.
- "Sam Young Combine Profile", NFL.com, retrieved February 27, 2010.
- "Cowboys' future focus: RT Sam Young". ESPN.com. Retrieved February 19, 2016.
- Rainer Sabin (September 6, 2011). "Bills claim former Cowboys OT Sam Young". Retrieved September 6, 2011.
- "Cowboys release Sam Young". ESPN.com. Retrieved February 19, 2016.
- "Bills claim Sam Young off waivers". ESPN.com. Retrieved February 19, 2016.
- "Jaguars free agents: Sam Young". ESPN.com. Retrieved February 19, 2016.
- Poupart, Alain (September 3, 2016). "Dolphins Make Moves To Get Roster To 53". MiamiDolphins.com.
- "PRESS RELEASE: Dolphins Add Chekwa And Young". MiamiDolphins.com. October 11, 2016.
- Alper, Josh (December 28, 2016). "Dolphins extend Sam Young through 2017". ProFootballTalk.NBCSports.com.
- "Miami Dolphins Re-sign Young". MiamiDolphins.com. March 23, 2018.
- Branch, Eric. "Report: 49ers signing OT Sam Young". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved August 12, 2019.
- "49ers Release Nine Players". 49ers.com. August 30, 2019. Retrieved August 30, 2019.