Sainte-Foy-lès-Lyon (French pronunciation: [sɛ̃t fwa lɛ ljɔ̃] (listen), literally Sainte-Foy near Lyon) is a commune in the Metropolis of Lyon in Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region in eastern France.
|Coordinates: 45°44′N 4°48′E / 45.73°N 4.80°ECoordinates: 45°44′N 4°48′E / 45.73°N 4.80°E|
|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Veronique Sarselli (LR)|
|6.83 km2 (2.64 sq mi)|
|• Density||3,200/km2 (8,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||170–322 m (558–1,056 ft) |
(avg. 311 m or 1,020 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
It is a suburb of the city of Lyon, located to the west of the city.
It is located only 5 km (3.1 mi) from the center of Lyon, but is a community in its own right. The town grew as a haven from the industry of Lyon, as it is set high above the city, and there are some panoramas of Lyon and the surrounding area, notably from a park known as the 'Esplanade de Lichfield'.
Lyon is said to be the city of three rivers – the Rhône and Saône rivers which converge there – and the Beaujolais wine. Sainte Foy's finest historic asset is remains of a Roman aqueduct and there is a fine seminary, steep narrow walled streets, parks and gardens, and squares in the town center.
|Source: EHESS and INSEE (1968-2017)|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (March 2016)
International School of Lyon is located in the city of Sainte-Foy-lès-Lyon.
Sainte-Foy-lès-Lyon is twinned with
- Antoine Cariot (1820–1883), priest and botanist, died in Sainte-Foy-lès-Lyon
- Alexis Carrel (1873–1944), surgeon, biologist and eugenicist, who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1912
- Éric-Emmanuel Schmitt (born 1960), novelist and playwright
- Isabelle Patissier (born 1967), world champion rock climber and rally driver
- Frédéric Kanouté (born 1977), Malian-French footballer
- Florian Maurice (born 1974), French footballer
- ^ "Répertoire national des élus: les maires". data.gouv.fr, Plateforme ouverte des données publiques françaises (in French). 2 December 2020.
- ^ "Populations légales 2019". The National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies. 29 December 2021.
- ^ Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui: Commune data sheet Sainte-Foy-lès-Lyon, EHESS. (in French)
- ^ Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE