The Metropolis of Lyon (French: Métropole de Lyon), also known as Grand Lyon ("Greater Lyon"), is a French territorial collectivity located in the east-central region of Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes. It is a directly elected metropolitan authority encompassing the city of Lyon and most of its suburbs. It has jurisdiction as both a department and a métropole, taking the territory out of the purview of the department of Rhône. It had a population of 1,411,571 in 2019, 37% of whom lived in the city of Lyon proper.
Metropolis of Lyon
Métropole de Lyon
|Coordinates: 45°45′27″N 4°51′14″E / 45.75750°N 4.85389°ECoordinates: 45°45′27″N 4°51′14″E / 45.75750°N 4.85389°E|
|• President of the Metropolitan council||Bruno Bernard (The Greens)|
|• Total||533.68 km2 (206.05 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,600/km2 (6,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
It replaced the Urban Community of Lyon on 1 January 2015, in accordance with the MAPAM Law enacted in January 2014. The first direct metropolitan elections were held in March (1st round) and June (2nd round) 2020, leading to a victory by Europe Ecology – The Greens. The president of the metropolitan council has been Green leader Bruno Bernard since July 2020.
The Lyon Metropolis covers an area of 533.7 km2 (206.1 sq mi). It covers the city of Lyon and its main suburbs. The rivers Rhône and Saône flow through it. It borders the department Rhône to the northwest and southwest, Ain to the northeast and Isère to the southeast.
The Lyon Metropolis consists of 59 communes. The most populous commune is Lyon. As of 2019, there are 9 communes with more than 30,000 inhabitants:
- ^ "Téléchargement du fichier d'ensemble des populations légales en 2019". The National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies. 29 December 2021.
- ^ a b "Intercommunalité-Métropole de Métropole de Lyon (200046977)". INSEE. Retrieved 11 July 2022.
- ^ (in French) Loi n° 2014-58 du 27 janvier 2014 de modernisation de l'action publique territoriale et d'affirmation des métropoles
- ^ Intercommunalité-Métropole de Métropole de Lyon (200046977), INSEE
- ^ Populations légales 2019: 69 Rhône, INSEE
- Metropolitan Lyon website (in French)
- The Greater Lyon official business website (in English)
- What does the Metropolis of Lyon do? Two minutes to understand everything on YouTube (in French)