Rwanda at the 2016 Summer Olympics
|Rwanda at the|
2016 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Comité National Olympique et Sportif du Rwanda|
|in Rio de Janeiro|
|Competitors||7 in 3 sports|
|Flag bearer||Adrien Niyonshuti|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
The Rwandan National Olympic and Sports Committee (French: Comité National Olympique et Sportif du Rwanda) selected a team of seven athletes, four men and three women, to compete only in athletics, road cycling, mountain biking, and swimming at the Olympics, matching the nation's roster size with London 2012. The Rwandan delegation featured two returning Olympians from the previous Games, including marathon runner Claudette Mukasakindi, and road cyclist Adrien Niyonshuti, who reprised his role of carrying the nation's flag for the second time in the opening ceremony.
Athletics (track and field)Edit
- Note–Ranks given for track events are within the athlete's heat only
- Q = Qualified for the next round
- q = Qualified for the next round as a fastest loser or, in field events, by position without achieving the qualifying target
- NR = National record
- N/A = Round not applicable for the event
- Bye = Athlete not required to compete in round
- Track & road events
|Ambroise Uwiragiye||Men's marathon||2:25:57||99|
|Claudette Mukasakindi||Women's marathon||3:05:57||126|
|Salome Nyirarukundo||Women's 10000 m||32:07.80||27|
|Adrien Niyonshuti||Men's road race||Did not finish|
Rwanda has qualified one mountain biker for the men's Olympic cross-country race, by virtue of a top two national finish, not yet qualified, at the 2015 African Championships.
|Nathan Byukusenge||Men's cross-country||LAP (3 laps)||41|
|Eloi Imaniraguha||Men's 50 m freestyle||26.43||68||Did not advance|
|Johanna Umurungi||Women's 100 m butterfly||1:11.92||44||Did not advance|
- Muhinde, Jejje (11 July 2016). "Niyonshuti: I'm ready to lift Rwanda's flag high in Rio". Rwanda: The New Times. Retrieved 15 July 2016.
- Muhinde, Jejje (29 July 2016). "Sports Minister tips athletes to shine in Rio". Rwanda: The New Times. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "iaaf.org – Top Lists". IAAF. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "IAAF Games of the XXX Olympiad – Rio 2016 Entry Standards" (PDF). IAAF. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "UCI announces men's road Olympic quotas". Cyclingnews.com. 18 January 2016. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "Swimming World Rankings". FINA. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
- Abimwe, Geoffrey (10 July 2016). "Swimming duo to compete at Rio de Janeiro Olympics". Rwanda: The New Times. Retrieved 11 July 2016.