Rosbank (Russian: Росбанк) is a Russian universal bank. In October 2020, Rosbank ranked 11th among Russian banks in terms of assets (RUB 1379 billion). According to Forbes Russia, Rosbank was the third most reliable Russian bank in 2021.
|Revenue||94,838,000,000 Russian ruble (2017)|
Number of employees
|Rating||Ba2 (Moody's), BBB- (Fitch) (2017)|
Legally, Rosbank is registered as a public joint-stock company (PJSC) and headquartered in Moscow. On 1 July 2011 Rosbank merged with another Russian subsidiary of Société Générale, Banque Société Générale Vostok (BSGV). Starting from April 2022, its majority shareholder has been Interros, after Société Générale has left Russian market due to the international sanctions following the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine.
Founded in 1993 under the name of AKB Nezavisimost (Independence), the legal status of the bank has evolved several times (1994: TOO, 1996: ZAO). In September 1998, Interros holding company bought the bank and renamed it to Joint Commercial Bank (JCB) "Rosbank". In 1999 the bank's legal status changed to Open Joint Stock Company (OJSC).
On 21 November 2000, the Vladimir Potanin and Mikhail Prokhorov associated bank ONEKSIMbank (Russian: "ОНЭКСИМ-банк") (akas: Uneximbank; Onexim Bank; Oneksimbank) merged with Rosbank.
In 2006 Société Générale acquired 20% of Rosbank with an option to purchase an additional package of 30% +2 shares for US$1.7 billion till the end of 2008. This option was exercised in February 2008.
Merger with BSGV and rebrandingEdit
In February 2010 shareholders of Rosbank agreed to consolidate Société Générale assets in Russia, Rosbank, Bank Société Générale Vostok (BSGV) and two other entities: DeltaCredit and Rusfinance Bank. In January 2011 DeltaCredit and Rusfinance became 100% subsidiaries of Rosbank.
On 1 July 2019, DeltaCredit mortgage bank ceased to be an independent bank and became part of Rosbank as a division called "Rosbank Home" (Росбанк Дом). 1 March 2021 in the Rosbank was included Rusfinance, the Russian leader in the car loan segment. It turned into a division of Rosbank under the name "Rosbank Auto".
Resale to InterrosEdit
In the spring of 2022, Société Générale decided to leave the Russian market due to the international sanctions following the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine. On 18 May, the deal on the sale of Rosbank to the Interros group was closed. The amount of the transaction was estimated at 0.2-0.3 of the bank's capital (40-60 billion rubles).
In September 2022, Interros owner Vladimir Potanin announced his intention to transfer 50% of Rosbank's shares to his own charitable foundation. Another 7.5% of the shares were sold to a subsidiary of Rosbank - the investment company Rusfinance. It is assumed that these shares will be indirectly used to motivate Rosbank employees within the framework of Potanin's concept of "people's capitalism".
Until May 2022, Société Générale was the owner of 99.4867% stake, after which they were sold back to Interros. In the fall of 2022, Potanin announced the transfer of 50% of the shares to Charitable Foundation of Vladimir Potanin. Another 7.5% were sold to Rusfinance.
On 15 December 2022, the US Treasury added Potanin and Rosbank to its sanction list.
In order to coordinate the bank's regional network, the management is organized as follows:
- Head office in Moscow
- Seven regional branches (Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Nizhny Novgorod, Yekaterinburg, Rostov-on-Don, Krasnoyarsk, Vladivostok,)
- Operational offices
- ^ "Интеррос купил Росбанк" (in Russian). Коммерсантъ. 11 April 2022.
- ^ "Рейтинг банков – 2017 (таблица)". Forbes.ru. 23 March 2017. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- ^ "Интеррос Потанина объявил о покупке Росбанка у Societe Generale" (in Russian). Ведомости. 11 April 2022.
- ^ "Рейтинг банков России" (in Russian). Kommersant. 9 December 2020.
- ^ "100 надежных российских банков – 2021. Рейтинг Forbes". forbes.ru (in Russian). Retrieved 5 April 2021.
- ^ "Книга памяти: "ОНЭКСИМ Банк"". Банки.ру (in Russian). Retrieved 18 July 2021.
- ^ "Росбанк присоединил "ДельтаКредит"" (in Russian). Rosbank. 3 July 2019.
- ^ "Росбанк присоединил Русфинанс Банк" (in Russian). banki.ru. 1 March 2021.
- ^ "Росбанк продадут быстро" (in Russian). Kommersant. 22 April 2022.
- ^ "Societe Generale закрыла сделку по продаже Росбанка группе "Интеррос"". interfax (in Russian). 18 September 2022.
- ^ a b "Потанин продал 7,5% акций Росбанка инвесткомпании «Русфинанс»" (in Russian). Kommersant. 24 September 2022.
- ^ "U.S. sanctions Russian oligarch Potanin and Rosbank -Treasury Dept. website". Retrieved 15 December 2022.
- Official website (in Russian)