A view of Romans-sur-Isère and the river Isère
|Canton||Romans-sur-Isère and Bourg-de-Péage|
|Intercommunality||CA Valence Romans Agglo|
|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Marie-Hélène Thoraval|
|33.08 km2 (12.77 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,000/km2 (2,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||122–291 m (400–955 ft) |
(avg. 167 m or 548 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Romans-sur-Isère is located on the Isère, 20 km (12 mi) northeast of Valence. There are more than 50,000 inhabitants in the urban area (if the neighboring town of Bourg-de-Péage is included). Romans is close to the Vercors.
|Source: EHESS and INSEE (1968-2017)|
- Historian Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie wrote Carnaval de Romans (1980) a microhistorical study, based on the only two surviving eyewitness accounts, of the 1580 massacre of about twenty artisans at the annual carnival in the town. He treats the massacre as a microcosm of the political, social and religious conflicts of rural society in the latter half of the 16th century in France.
- On July 18, 2017, the town was the endpoint for Stage Sixteen of the Tour De France.
- On April 4, 2020 Two people were killed and five wounded in a knife attack, in what the interior minister called a terrorist incident. Prosecutors said the suspect was a Sudanese refugee in his 30s who lived in the town.
- Collegiate church of St. Barnard
- International Museum of Footwear
- Tower of Jacquemart clock
Twin towns - sister citiesEdit
- Hippolyte Charles (1773-1837), lover of Joséphine Bonaparte
- Robert Clergerie, shoe designer
- Érik Comas (1963-), former Formula One driver
- Pierre Latour (1993-), cyclist
- Jules Nadi (1872-1928), former mayor and councilor who did much to develop the city
- Baptiste Reynet, professional footballer
- Philippe Saint-André, rugby player and national team coach
- "Répertoire national des élus: les maires". data.gouv.fr, Plateforme ouverte des données publiques françaises (in French). 2 December 2020. Retrieved 11 December 2020.
- "Populations légales 2018". INSEE. 28 December 2020.
- Bouvier, Jean-Claude (1976) Les parlers provençaux de la Drôme. Étude de géographie phonétique, coll. Bibliothèque française et romane A-33, Paris: Klincksieck, pp. 445-518
- Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui: Commune data sheet Romans-sur-Isère, EHESS. (in French)
- Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE
- "France launches terror probe after knife attack". BBC News. 2020-04-05. Retrieved 2020-04-05.
- "Relations internationales". ville-romans.fr (in French). Romans-sur-Isère. Retrieved 2019-11-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Romans-sur-Isère.|
- Town council website (in French)
- Communauté de communes du Pays de Romans website
- New Uranium Leak Found in French Areva Factory
- Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). 1911. .