Rocksteady Studios Limited is a British video game developer based in Kentish Town, London. Founded on 13 December 2004, they are best known for their work in the Batman: Arkham series. The company is a subsidiary of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.
|Industry||Video game industry|
|Founded||13 December 2004|
|Owner||Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment|
Number of employees
Rocksteady's first release was the 2006 first-person shooter Urban Chaos: Riot Response, developed using the Havok engine and published by Eidos Interactive for PlayStation 2 and Xbox. After Eidos obtained the rights to make a Batman game in spring 2007, they approached Rocksteady who presented their take to the Batman license, and by May 2007, they had begun developing the concept of Batman: Arkham Asylum, with full production beginning in September 2007. The game was released in August 2009 to critical acclaim and huge commercial success and Time Warner went on to acquiring a 74.1 percent stake in February 2010, although Square Enix Europe (formerly Eidos Interactive) still held 25.1 percent share of Rocksteady.
Rocksteady Studios have thus become one of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment in-house studios, renowned for their acclaimed games in the Batman: Arkham franchise, as Arkham Asylum was followed by Batman: Arkham City in 2011, and Batman: Arkham Knight in 2015. Although a prequel Arkham game was also developed (Batman: Arkham Origins), Rocksteady did not act as developer for the game; instead, development was handled by WB Games Montréal.
Games developed and in developmentEdit
|2006||Urban Chaos: Riot Response||PlayStation 2, Xbox|
|2009||Batman: Arkham Asylum||PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, macOS|
|2011||Batman: Arkham City||PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, macOS, Wii U|
|2015||Batman: Arkham Knight||PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows|
|2016||Batman: Arkham VR||PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows|
- "Rocksteady - Welcome to Rocksteady Studios". rocksteadyltd.com.
- Prell, Sam (November 22, 2014). "Three years later, Calendar Man reveals Arkham City easter egg". GamesRadar. Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- Fahey, Rob (2005-01-17). "SCi funds new development studio". GamesIndustry.biz. Retrieved 2008-07-22.
- Snider, Mike (August 24, 2009). "The rest of the story: 'Batman: Arkham Asylum'". USA Today. Gannett Company. Archived from the original on April 5, 2013. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- Graft, Kris (October 19, 2009). "Rocksteady's Sefton Hill Unmasks Batman: Arkham Asylum". Gamasutra. Think Services. Archived from the original on April 2, 2013. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- Plunkett, Luke (2010-02-23). "Warner Buys Batman: Arkham Asylum Devs". Kotaku. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- "Warner acquires majority stake in Rocksteady Studios". GamesIndustry.biz. Retrieved 2018-04-28.
- "I'm Sefton Hill, Creative Director at Rocksteady Studios, the creators of the Batman: Arkham series of video games. Ask me almost anything! • r/IAmA". reddit.