Riot (TV series)
Riot is a 2014 comedy television series from Fox Broadcasting Company and based upon the Australian Slide Show television series, itself based upon the Arthur-created French program Vendredi tout est permis ("On Fridays, Anything Goes with Arthur", aka Anything Goes), where two teams of celebrities competed in a number of challenges and games, including one on a huge set that tilts at 22½ degrees. Hosted by Rove McManus, weekly episode "guest" captains include a rotating set of actors, with Andy Buckley and Steve Carell "captaining" the premiere episode. Riot was canceled by Fox on June 12, 2014.
Slide Show/Riot logo
|Based on||French series|
Vendredi tout est permis
Australian series Slide Show
|Directed by||Ron de Moraes|
|Presented by||Rove McManus|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||4 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Original release||May 13 –|
June 10, 2014
The show's concept places two teams of celebrities and comedians in a series of competitions that have the teams sing, dance and create comedy sketches while overcoming multiple mental and physical obstacles. Instructed by guest team captains, two teams of comedians are instructed to create and participate in a set of unscripted improv skits, some of which take place on a set tilted at 22-1/2 degrees or some of which take place in complete darkness with the audience able to observe through night-vision cameras while the contestants blunder about.
The series "regular" main cast includes
- Rove McManus as host
- Brian Palermo
- John Ross Bowie
- Jamie Denbo
- Jordan Black
- Rob Gleeson
- Meryl Hathaway
- Jessica McKenna
- Slide Show: Players perform a scene on a set built at a 22-degree angle with the cameras tilted to make the floor appear to be level. This game is played twice per episode.
- A Bunch of Jerks: Several players act out scenes wearing suits attached to cables from the studio rafters and when anyone makes a mistake, they are jerked up nearly 20 feet off the floor.
- Mime Sweeper: A performer stands on a pedestal and has ten seconds to mime the identity of an image shown on a screen to another whose back is turned to the screen. Every time the second performer fails to guess the image, the first performer is knocked off by a large medicine ball and is replaced by another.
- Alphabody: Two players form the letters in a four-letter word in any order using only their bodies for ten seconds per letter. After the last letter is formed, the host tries to guess the word.
- In The Dark: Players act out a scene in a pitch-black room, while those in the studio can see everything due to infra-red cameras.
- Shadow Puppets: Players act out movie titles, etc. behind a back-lit white screen for another to guess.
- Floored: Players perform on the floor while an overhead camera makes them appear to be standing.
- Dogs at Work: A dog is dressed like a human, with human hands using the sleeves to interact with players.
Development and productionEdit
In October 2013, Fox greenlit production of an American version of Vendredi Tout est Permis Avec Arthur, from Steve Carell and Shine America, to be produced by Shine America with Carell’s banner, Carousel TV. Fox ordered 8 episodes, which were filmed during February 2014 and premiered on May 13, 2014.
|No.||Original airdate||Captain 1||Captain 2||U.S. viewers|
|1||May 13, 2014||Steve Carell||Andy Buckley||1.34|
|Games performed: Slide Show, A Bunch of Jerks, Mime Sweeper, Alphabody, In The Dark, Shadow Puppets|
|2||May 27, 2014||Jason Alexander||Cheryl Hines||1.36|
|3||June 3, 2014||Tom Green||Andy Dick||1.15|
|4||June 10, 2014||Rob Delaney||David Arquette||1.18|
|Games performed: Slide Show, A Bunch of Jerks, Mime Sweeper, Dogs at Work, Floored, Alphabody, In The Dark, Shadow Puppets|
Riot has received mixed reviews from television critics, and currently has a Metacritic score of 63 out of 100 based on 5 reviews. Neil Genzlinger of The New York Times wrote "There’s no describing how hysterical this is; you have to see it." Diane Werts of Newsday wrote "Is there anything great here? No. Is it goofy fun? Yes. BOTTOM LINE Silly fun in the summertime." Brian Lowry of Variety wrote "If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery (and television), those responsible for Whose Line Is It Anyway? should be positively red-faced watching Riot, Fox’s amped-up, exhausting new improv show. Lowry expanded that even with the creativity and comedy of the various skits, the show's "stunt-enhanced physical gags" do not quite merit the name "Riot". Neil Drumming of Salon said the "premiere felt like harmless summer programming, though a bit manic for my tastes."
Shine America's parent company represents the format internationally, and apart from the Australian and French versions, local-language versions of the show have screened in Portugal, Denmark, Spain, Brazil, Ukraine and Romania. Vietnam
After just four weeks, Fox pulled Riot from its Tuesday night schedule due to extremely poor ratings. The show's initial ratings and viewer response was mixed, debuting mid-May with a 0.5 rating in the 18–49 demographic with 1.34 million viewers, and for episodes 3 and 4, Riot drew a 0.4 rating in the same demographic. Fox stated they would eventually find a better time-slot for the show, and will fill the Tuesday slot with re-runs of more popular shows.
|France (original version)||Vendredi tout est permis||Arthur||TF1||December 16, 2011||present|
|Algeria||Vendredi ماشي عادي avec Sofiane||Sofiane Dani||Echorouk TV||March 4, 2017||present|
|Germany||Jetzt wird’s schräg||Jochen Schropp||Sat.1||July 18, 2014||present|
|Australia||Slide Show||Grant Denyer||Seven Network||August 7, 2013||November 13, 2013|
|Canada (French)||Ce soir tout est permis||Éric Salvail||V||November 17, 2014||May 6, 2016|
|Colombia||Me caigo de la risa||Jorge Enrique Abello||RCN Televisión||March 5, 2016||May 28, 2016|
|Denmark||Rundt på gulvet||Lars Hjortshøj||TV 2||August 31, 2013||September 7, 2013|
|Spain||Me resbala||Arturo Valls||Antena 3||November 15, 2013||present|
|USA||Riot||Rove McManus||Fox||May 13, 2014||June 10, 2014|
|Indonesia||Slide Show||Raffi Ahmad||Trans TV||February 10, 2014||September 12, 2014|
|Dvir Benedek||Channel 2, as of 2017 Reshet 13||November 7, 2014||present|
|Italy||Stasera tutto è possibile||Amadeus||Rai 2||September 8, 2015||present|
|Mario Bassil||MTV Lebanon||November 8, 2013||present|
|Mexico||Me caigo de risa||Faisy||Televisa||March 4, 2014||present|
|Morocco||جمعة ماشي حياة||Rachid Amiri||Al Aoula
|February 7, 2018||present|
|Netherlands||Alles mag op vrijdag||Jandino Asporaat||RTL 4||April 20, 2014||present|
|Norway||Alt er lov||Solveig Kloppen||TV2||February 28, 2015||May 14, 2016 |
|Portugal||Vale Tudo||João Manzarra||SIC||January 13, 2013||May 11, 2014|
|Romania||Totul e permis||Cosmin Seleși||Antena 1||January 5, 2014||February 11, 2014|
|Slovenia||Vse je mogoče||Bojan Emeršič||TV Slovenija||October 4, 2015||present|
|Tunisia||نهار لحد مايهمك في حد
Sunday all is permitted
|Sami Fehri||Elhiwar Ettounsi||September 24, 2017||present|
|Turkey||Dur Durabilirsen||Engin Hepiler||aTV||May 30, 2014||July 6, 2014|
|Uruguay||Me resbala||Rafael Villanueva||Teledoce||February 4, 2015||present|
|Vietnam||Chết Cười||Đức Hải||VTV3||January 17, 2015||April 25, 2015|
- Kissell, Rick (March 26, 2014). "Fox Slates Two Original Dramas, Trio of Gordon Ramsay Series for Spring/Summer". Variety. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- Marechal, AJ (October 8, 2013). "Fox Orders Celeb-Driven Unscripted Series from Steve Carell". Variety. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- Newcomb, Tim (October 9, 2013). "Steve Steve Carell to Produce Unscripted Comedy Show for Fox". Time. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (May 14, 2014). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'The Voice', 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' & 'The Goldbergs' Adjusted Up; 'The Originals', 'Supernatural', & 'About a Boy' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 14, 2014.
- Idato, Michael (March 21, 2014). "Rove McManus to work with Steve Carell on new game show, Riot". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (June 12, 2014). "'I Wanna Marry Harry' & 'Riot' Canceled by FOX". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- Goldberg, Lesley (October 8, 2013). "Fox Picks Up Steve Carell-Produced Unscripted Comedy 'Slide Show'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- Fox press release (April 8, 2014). "Seven Comics Join Cast of New Improv Comedy Series "Riot" Premiering Tuesday, May 13". via The Futon Critic. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- Kroeger, Jake (April 8, 2014). "Fox Improv Show RIOT Will Feature Steve Carell, Jason Alexander, Cheryl Hines". Nerdist. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- Geddes, Robin (April 8, 2014). "Steve Carell, Big Bang Theory's Mayim Bialik for new Fox series Riot". Digital Spy. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- Swift, Andy (April 8, 2014). "Exclusive: Steve Carell and Cheryl Hines Among Celebrity Guests in Fox Improv Series Riot". TV Line. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- "(R-102) "Jason Alexander and Cheryl Hines"". The Futon Critic. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (May 29, 2014). "Tuesday Final Ratings: No Adjustments to 'America's Got Talent' or 'The Night Shift'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- "Shows A-Z -". The Futon Critic. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (June 4, 2014). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'America's Got Talent', 'Extreme Weight Loss' & 'Celebrity Wife Swap' Adjusted Up; 'Famous in 12' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- "Riot Episodes 2014 -". TV Guide. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (June 11, 2014). "Tuesday Final Ratings: Final Numbers for NBA Finals Game 3". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- "Riot: Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- Genzlinger, Neil (May 12, 2014). "Just One More Way the Stars Live Better Than We Do". The New York Times. Retrieved May 14, 2014.
- Werts, Diane (May 9, 2014). "Steve Carell's 'Riot' review: Goofy improv fun". Newsday. Retrieved May 14, 2014.
- Lowry, Brian (May 12, 2014). "TV Review: 'Riot'". Variety. Retrieved May 12, 2014.
- Drumming, Neil (May 14, 2014). "Steve Carell's new Fox improv show Riot is just that". Salon. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- Hibberd, James (June 12, 2014). "Fox Has Seen Enough, Pulls Plug on Two Underperforming Shows". TV Week. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- staff (June 12, 2014). "Riot: TV Show Cancelled by FOX". tvseriesfinale.com. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 12, 2014). "Fox Pulls 'Riot' & 'I Wanna Marry "Harry"' From Schedule". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- Masaki, Lyle (June 13, 2013). "TV On Tap: Fox Wants to Cancel "Harry" and David Tennant Returns as "The Escape Artist"". thebacklot.com. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- Tony Squires (7 August 2013). "Trying a different angle on comedy". theage.com.au.
- "Arthur exporte encore Vendredi tout est permis". lefigaro.fr. 16 April 2015.
- "La fin pour "Ce soir tout est permis"". journaldemontreal.com. 15 March 2016.
- "Dernier message facebook". facebook.com. 6 May 2016.
- Xabier Migelez (30 July 2013). "Arturo Valls presentará 'Me resbala', un formato en el que ocho cómicos pondrán a prueba sus dotes de improvisación". formulatv.com (in Spanish).
- Benjamin Lopes (27 March 2014). ""Vendredi tout est permis" débutera aux Etats-Unis le 13 mai prochain". toutelatele.com.
- Reshet. "הכל הולך - רשת". reshet.tv (in Hebrew).
- Clémence Peyron (9 October 2013). "L'émission "Vendredi tout est permis" adaptée aux Etats-Unis". programme.tv.
- TV2 (16 April 2018). "Sesong 1 / 10 episoder". medianews.over-blog.net.
- Benjamin Lopes (10 January 2013). "Vendredi tout est permis débarque en prime time au Portugal". medianews.over-blog.net.