|Neighbourhood in Asansol|
|Elevation||91 m (299 ft)|
|Demonym(s)||Asansolians / Asansolites/ Asansolbashi|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-WB|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Asansol|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Raniganj|
The discovery of coal led to industrialisation of the area and most of the forests have been cleared.
Asansol Municipal CorporationEdit
CD Block HQEdit
The headquarters of Raniganj CD Block are located at Raniganj.
As per the 2011 Census of India Raniganj municipal area had a total population of 129,441, of which 65,578 (52%) were males and 61,863 (48%) were females. Population below 6 years was 15,721. The total number of literates in Raniganj was 88,299 (87.85% of the population over 6 years).
As of 2001[update] India census, Raniganj had a population of 122,891. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Raniganj has an average literacy rate of 64%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 72%, and female literacy is 56%. In Raniganj, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Raniganj is birth place of famous social activist, Padma shiri awarded Kalavati Devi and noted author Phanushwar Nath Renu.
Raniganj Girls' College was established in 1980 at Raniganj. It is affiliated with Kazi Nazrul University.Raniganj Boys High School was established in 1888 at Raniganj. It is affiliated with WBBSE. Marwari Sanatan Vidyalaya was established in 1912 at Raniganj. It is affiliated with WBBSE.
- Asansol travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Chattopadhyay, Akkori, Bardhaman Jelar Itihas O Lok Sanskriti (History and Folk lore of Bardhaman District.), (in Bengali), Vol I, pp 14-15, Radical Impression. ISBN 81-85459-36-3
- Chattopadhyay, Akkori, pp 26-27
- "List of Pradhan of Gram Panchayats, District: Bardhaman" (PDF). Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 2009-08-29.
- "The Kolkata Gazette" (PDF). Notification No. 335/MA/O/C-4/1M-36/2014 dated 3 June 2015. Department of Municipal Affairs, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Burdwan". Tables 2.1, 2.2,. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- "Asansol Durgapur Police Commissionerate". Find your police station. Asansol Durgapur Police. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- "District Census Handbook: Barddhaman" (PDF). Map of Barddhaman with CD Block HQs and Police Stations (on the fourth page). Directorate of Census Operations, West Bengal, 2011. Retrieved 22 January 2017.
- "2011 Census - Primary Census Abstract Data Tables". West Bengal – District-wise. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 10 March 2017.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Trivenidevi Bhalotia College". TDB College. Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- "Raniganj Girls' College". RGC. Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- "Bardhaman district". Medical Institutions. Bardhaman district administration. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- "Hospitals and Nursing Homes in Raniganj". eFindout.com. Retrieved 6 March 2017.