The Raška District (Serbian: Рашки округ / Raški okrug, pronounced [râʃkiː ôkruːɡ]) is one of eight administrative districts of Šumadija and Western Serbia. It expands to the south-western part of the country. According to the 2011 census results, it has a population of 309,258 inhabitants. The administrative center of the Raška district is Kraljevo.
|Region||Šumadija and Western Serbia|
|• Commissioner||Nebojša Simović|
|• Total||3,918 km2 (1,513 sq mi)|
|• Density||78.9/km2 (204/sq mi)|
|ISO 3166 code||RS-18|
|Municipalities||3 and 2 cities|
|- Cities and towns||9|
The district encompasses the municipalities of:
According to the last official census done in 2011, the Raška District has 309,258 inhabitants. 53.2% of the population lives in the urban areas. Ethnic composition of the district:
Society and cultureEdit
At the outskirts of Kraljevo stands the Žiča monastery. This spiritual center of the Serbian medieval state was built around 1220, to become also the center of newly founded Serbian Arch-episcopacy.
The Studenica monastery was built in the late twelfth century, as the endowment of the Serb ruler Stefan Nemanja, who endowed it richly with the icons and books. After he had become a monk and left for Serbian Hilandar on the Mt. Athos, his older son Stefan, later named the "First-Crowned", took his place in taking care over the monastery. In the vicinity of Novi Pazar stands the Sopoćani monastery, built around 1260 as the endowment of King Stefan Uros I, the son of King Stephen the First-Crowned. The primary and major value of the Sopoćani monastery are its frescoes, by which it ranks among the best examples of the European medieval painting.
There are three universities located in the Raška District:
- State University of Novi Pazar, founded in 2006
- University of Kragujevac - there are two faculties of the University that are located in the municipalities of Kraljevo and Vrnjačka Banja
- Faculty of Mechanical and Civil Engineering in Kraljevo
- Faculty of Hotel Management and Tourism in Vrnjačka Banja
- International University of Novi Pazar, founded in 2002
- "2011 Census of Population, Households and Dwellings in the Republic of Serbia" (PDF). stat.gov.rs. Statistical Office of the Republic of Serbia. Retrieved 11 January 2017.
- "Попис становништва, домаћинстава и станова 2011. у Републици Србији" (PDF). stat.gov.rs. Republički zavod za statistiku. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
Note: All official material made by Government of Serbia is public by law. Information was taken from www
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Raška District.|