This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Rødovre is a town in eastern Denmark, seat of the Rødovre Municipality, in the Region Hovedstaden. The town's population 1 January 2019 was 39,907, and in addition 145 persons had no fixed address, which made up a total of 40,052 in the municipality as a whole. Rødovre is part of the urban area of Copenhagen.
Rødovre by night
|• Mayor||Erik Nielsen|
(co-extensive with its municipality)
|• Total||12.12 km2 (4.68 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (Central Europe Time)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2|
Until 1901, the town was part of the parish of Brønshøj-Rødovre. Vanløse was also part of that parish. In that year, Rødovre was created as independent municipality and Brønshøj was simultaneously annexed by the city of Copenhagen.
Rødovre, co-extensive with the territory of its municipality, is in the central-western suburbs of Copenhagen, bordering Copenhagen Municipality to the east, Glostrup to the west, Herlev to the north, and Brøndby and Hvidovre to the south.
The town mostly comprises suburban homes in the south and light industrial areas in the north. It has several smaller green areas, including Schweizerdalsparken, and larger areas such as Vestvolden and Damhussøen lie inside Copenhagen Municipality adjacent to and forming the border with Rødovre. There are six public schools in the town, one technical school and a private school.
Rødovre Centrum is a shopping mall. Viften - meaning "The Fan" - which besides being a café, is a cinema and a combined concert hall/theatre. There are also many smaller business districts such as Damhustorvet and Islev Torv.
Sports and cultureEdit
Every Tuesday, the local newspaper "Rødovre Lokal Nyt" (Rødovre Local News) is delivered by mail to all residents. Radio Rødovre broadcasts on 105.9 FM, and sometimes local TV is broadcast via Kanal København.
There is an Ice Hockey arena, home of Rødovre Mighty Bulls, two smaller football stadiums (home of BK Avarta and BK Rødovre, respectively) and one train station, served by line B of the commuter S-trains. The Rødovre Mighty Bulls are a professional ice hockey team which plays in the top Danish League, Metal Ligaen.
- Lars Eller, professional ice hockey player and Stanley Cup Champion
- Hans Fogh, Olympic sailor in six Olympic games (1960 , 1964, 1968, 1972 Denmark, 1976 and 1984 Canada), and sailmaker.
- Marc Rieper, former professional soccer player and manager. He was champion of the 1995 King Fahd Cup with Danish national team. He also played in the UEFA Euro 1996 and the 1998 FIFA World Cup.
- Jannik Hansen, professional ice hockey player,
- Brigitte Nielsen, actress, musician and television personality
- Helle Thorning-Schmidt, former Prime minister of Denmark.
- "Statistikbanken". www.statistikbanken.dk.
- "Lars Eller - player profile and career stats". eurohockey.net. Retrieved 4 April 2011.
- "Hans Fogh Bio, Stats, and Results". Olympic Sports. Sports-Reference.com. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "Marc Rieper - player profile and career stats".
- "Vancouver Canucks". Retrieved 1 October 2015.
- "Das perfekte Promi Dinner - Brigitte Nielsen - VOX.de". vox.de. Retrieved 4 April 2011.