Denmark national cricket team
The Denmark national cricket team is the team that represents the Kingdom of Denmark in international cricket. They have been an associate member of the International Cricket Council (ICC) since 1966, and have previously been a part of the ICC's High Performance Programme.
|Association||Dansk Cricket Forbund|
|International Cricket Council|
|ICC status||Associate member (1966)|
|One Day Internationals|
|World Cup Qualifier appearances||7 (first in 1979)|
|Best result||3rd place (1986)|
|First T20I||v Jersey at King George V Sports Ground, Castel; 16 June 2019|
|Last T20I||v Finland at Svanholm Park, Brøndby; 13 July 2019|
|T20 World Cup Qualifier appearances||2 (first in 2012)|
|Best result||16th (2012, 2013)|
|As of 01 August 2019|
In April 2018, the ICC decided to grant full Twenty20 International (T20I) status to all its members. Therefore, all Twenty20 matches played between Denmark and other ICC members after 1 January 2019 will be a full T20I. After April 2019, Denmark will play in the 2019–21 ICC Cricket World Cup Challenge League.
- 1 History
- 2 Grounds
- 3 Tournament history
- 4 Players
- 5 Records
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Cricket has been played in Denmark since the mid-19th century, with the first club being formed in 1865 by English railway engineers. The first organised match was played the following year between two teams of English players, with the first matches involving Danish players taking place in 1866. The game expanded greatly over the following twenty years, with 30 new clubs being formed in 1883.
Several touring sides from England and Scotland visited the country in the early part of the 20th century, including the famous Marylebone Cricket Club. In 1933, an attempt to organise the first international match against the Netherlands failed, and it wasn't until 1954 when the Danish national side played their first match against Oxford University, the year after the current Danish Cricket Federation was formed.
Denmark became an associate member of the ICC in 1966, drawing their international against Scotland that year. They played Bermuda for the first time in 1969 and drew their first match against Ireland in 1970. They finally picked up their first international win against the Netherlands in 1972.
They played their first matches against Canada in 1974, losing a three-day match but winning the limited overs match. They played home internationals against East Africa and Sri Lanka, beating East Africa. They toured East Africa the following year, drawing with both East Africa and Kenya.
They took part in the first ICC Trophy in 1979, reaching the semi final where they lost to Sri Lanka. They did not take part in the 1982 tournament. In 1983, Ole Mortensen became the first Danish player to play county cricket. Denmark returned to the ICC Trophy in 1986 and finished third after beating Bermuda in the third place play-off.
In 1989, Denmark hosted Australia for two one-day matches. They lost the first match in Brøndby by 45 runs and lost the second in Copenhagen by 54 runs. They fared better at home against Canada that year, winning twice against them. After playing both home and away against Bangladesh in 1990, they played in the ICC Trophy, reaching the second round.
Denmark again played in the ICC Trophy in 1994, finishing tenth in the tournament after losing to Namibia in the plate final. They played their first matches against France in 1995, and hosted the first European Cricket Championship in 1996, finishing third. They finished fifth in the following years ICC Trophy and were runners up in the European Championship in 1998.
In 1999, Denmark took part in the NatWest Trophy for the first time. The following year, they took part in the ICC Emerging Nations Tournament in Zimbabwe, where they finished fourth, and the European Championship, where they finished last, without winning a game. The following year, they took part in the ICC Trophy in Canada, finishing eighth. The MCC toured Denmark in 2002, and Denmark won all three matches. They won just one match at that year's European Championship, finishing fifth ahead of Italy.
The Netherlands visited Denmark in 2003, winning both matches. Denmark played a two match series against Ireland later in the year, losing both matches and missing out on qualification for the ICC Intercontinental Cup. They again finished last in the European Championship the following year. In 2005, they played their final match in the Cheltenham & Gloucester Trophy, losing heavily to Northamptonshire at Svanholm Park before taking part in the 2005 ICC Trophy, where they again finished eighth.
In 2006, Denmark again took part in the European Championship, finishing fourth after winning only against Italy. At the end of that year, it was announced that they would join the ICC's High Performance Programme from 1 April 2007.
In August 2007, Denmark registered a win over Bermuda, an ODI playing country, and towards the end of October 2007 they played in Kenya against domestic teams and Kenya A. Denmark, led by Freddie Klokker who scored consecutive centuries in all their matches, clean swept the Kenyan sides and Kenya A. Denmark bowled, batted and fielded exceptionally well.
In November 2007, Denmark took part in Division Two of the World Cricket League. In finishing fourth, they qualified to compete in the 2009 ICC World Cup Qualifier. However, they eventually came last of the twelve teams, meaning they were relegated to Division Three of the World Cricket League. They next competed in the 2011 ICC World Cricket League Division Three, where they came 5th to be relegated to the Division Four.
ICC World Cup QualifierEdit
- 1979: Semi-finals
- 1982: Did not participate
- 1986: 3rd place
- 1990: Second round
- 1994: 10th place
- 1997: 5th place
- 2001: 8th place
- 2005: 8th place
- 2009: 12th place
- 2014: did not qualify
- 2018: did not qualify
ICC World T20 QualifierEdit
World Cricket LeagueEdit
- 2007: 4th place (Division Two)
- 2011: 5th place (Division Three) – relegated
- 2012: 4th place (Division Four)
- 2014: 3rd place (Division Four)
- 2016: 3rd place (Division Four)
- 2018: 2nd place (Division Four) – promoted
ICC 6 Nations ChallengeEdit
European Cricket ChampionshipEdit
This section needs to be updated.November 2016)(
- The following list lists the 14 players in Denmark's developmental squad for a tour of Ireland ahead of the 2018–19 ICC T20 World Cup Europe Qualifier Regional Finals tournament.
- Hamid Shah (c)
- Wahab Hashmi
- Taranjit Bharaj
- Anique Uddin
- Nicolaj Damgaard
- Oliver Damgaard Hald
- Omar Hayatt
- Shangeev Thas
- Jonas Henriksen
- Jino Jojo
- Rizwan Mahmood
- Anders Bulow
- Anique Uddin
- Ihyas Saumy
International Match Summary — DenmarkLast updated 13 July 2019
|Twenty20 Internationals||9||4||3||0||2||16 June 2019|
- Highest team total: 158/9 v Italy, 20 June 2019 at King George V Sports Ground, Castel
- Highest individual score: 50 by Zishan Shah v Italy, 20 June 2019 at King George V Sports Ground, Castel
- Best individual bowling figures: 4/23, Hamid Shah v Jersey, 16 June 2019 at King George V Sports Ground, Castel
Most T20I runs for Denmark
Most T20I wickets for Denmark
T20I record versus other nations
Records complete to T20I #828. Last updated 13 July 2019.
|Opponent||M||W||L||T||NR||First match||First win|
|vs Associate Members|
|v Finland||2||2||0||0||0||13 July 2019||13 July 2019|
|v Germany||1||0||1||0||0||19 June 2019|
|v Guernsey||2||0||1||0||1||18 June 2019|
|v Italy||2||1||0||0||1||18 June 2019||20 June 2019|
|v Jersey||1||0||1||0||0||16 June 2019|
|v Norway||1||1||0||0||0||17 June 2019||17 June 2019|
- Highest team total: 284/6 v Hong Kong, 29 June 2001 at Maple Leaf Cricket Club, King City, Ontario, Canada
- Highest individual innings: 138 not out by Frederik Klokker v USA, 2 July 2005 at Armagh, Northern Ireland
- Best bowling in an innings: 7/19 by Ole Mortensen v Israel, 24 February 1994 at Nairobi, Kenya
Performances by Danish cricketers in 50 over World Cricket League matches and European regional competitions, as of 29 June 2014
|Notable former players|
5 wicket hauls
- "ICC Rankings". International Cricket Council.
- "T20I matches - Team records". ESPNcricinfo.
- "T20I matches - 2019 Team records". ESPNcricinfo.
- Denmark at CricketArchive
- Denmark added to ICC High Performance Program Archived 27 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine, ICC Europe Media Release, 20 December 2006 at European Cricket Council
- "All T20 matches between ICC members to get international status". International Cricket Council. 26 April 2018. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- "All to play for in last ever World Cricket League tournament". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- A Timeline of Danish Cricket at CricketEurope
- 1979 ICC Trophy at Cricinfo
- 1982 ICC Trophy at Cricinfo
- Scorecard of Bermuda v Denmark, 4 July 1986 at Cricket Archive
- Scorecard of Denmark v Australia, 5 September 1989 at Cricket Archive
- Scorecard of Denmark v Australia, 6 September 1989 at Cricket Archive
- 1990 ICC Trophy at Cricinfo
- Scorecard of Denmark v Namibia, 1 March 1994 at Cricket Archive
- 1996 European Championship at CricketEurope
- Scorecard of Denmark v Netherlands, 5 April 1997 at Cricket Archive
- 1998 European Championship at CricketEurope
- ICC Emerging Nations Tournament at CricketEurope
- 2000 European Championship at CricketEurope
- 2001 ICC Trophy points table at Cricket Archive
- Official site of the 2002 European Championship
- 2004 European Championship at CricketEurope
- Scorecard of Denmark v Namibia, 11 July 2005 at Cricket Archive
- 2006 European Championship at CricketEurope
- "Denmark and Norway join Italy in regional final". Cricket Europe. Retrieved 2 September 2018.
- "11th Place Play-off in which Denmark lost to Oman by five wickets". ESPNCricinfo. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- 2002 ICC 6 Nations Tournament at CricketEurope
- 2004 ICC 6 Nations Tournament at CricketEurope
-  Cricinfo, Accessed 20 August 2008
- "Denmark Dublin bound". Dansk Cricket (in Danish). 14 May 2018. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- Denmark players at Cricket Archive
- "Records / Denmark / Twenty20 Internationals / Result summary". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 16 June 2019.
- "Records / Denmark / Twenty20 Internationals / Highest totals". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 20 June 2019.
- "Records / Denmark / Twenty20 Internationals / High scores". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 20 June 2019.
- "Records / Denmark / Twenty20 Internationals / Best bowling figures". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 20 June 2019.
- "Records / Denmark / Twenty20 Internationals / Most runs". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 20 June 2019.
- "Records / Denmark / Twenty20 Internationals / Most wickets". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 20 June 2019.
- Denmark totals of 200 and more in an innings in the ICC Trophy at Cricket Archive
- Individual scores of 100 and more in an innings for Denmark in the ICC Trophy at Cricket Archive
- Five or more wickets in an innings for Denmark in the ICC Trophy at Cricket Archive
- Official website (in Danish)