Vanuatu national cricket team
The Vanuatu national cricket team is the team that represents the Republic of Vanuatu in international cricket. The team is organised by the Vanuatu Cricket Association, which became an affiliate member of the International Cricket Council (ICC) in 1995 and was promoted to associate status in 2009. Vanuatu made its international debut at the 1979 Pacific Games, at which time the country was still known as the New Hebrides. The majority of the team's matches have come against other members of the ICC East Asia-Pacific region, including both at ICC regional tournaments and at the cricket events at the Pacific Games.
|Association||Vanuatu Cricket Association|
|International Cricket Council|
|ICC status||Affiliate (1995) |
Associate member (2009)
|ICC region||East Asia-Pacific|
|First international|| New Hebrides v. Fiji |
(Suva; 30 August 1979)
|First T20I||v Papua New Guinea at Amini Park, Port Moresby; 22 March 2019|
|Last T20I||v Papua New Guinea at Faleata Ovals, Apia; 13 July 2019|
|As of 23 August 2019|
Vanuatu entered the World Cricket League at the 2008 Division Five tournament. The team participated in the WCL system at the 2015 Division Six event, where it placed third. Following the withdrawal of Suriname from the 2016 Division Five tournament, Vanuatu were named as their replacement.
In April 2018, the ICC decided to grant full Twenty20 International (T20I) status to all its members. Therefore, all Twenty20 matches played between Vanuatu and other ICC members after 1 January 2019 will be a full T20I. Vanuatu played their maiden T20I against Papua New Guinea on 22 March 2019. After April 2019, Vanuatu will play in the 2019–21 ICC Cricket World Cup Challenge League.
Vanuatu competed in the Pacifica Championships on the two occasions it was held, finishing seventh in 2001 and sixth in 2002. In 2005, they hosted the East Asia/Pacific Cricket Cup, finishing third in the six team competition, therefore missing out on qualification for the 2007 World Cup. At the East Asia – Pacific Trophy in Auckland, New Zealand, in December 2007, Vanuatu finished second, therefore qualifying through to the World Cricket League Division Five in 2008. In the highly successful 2009 calendar year, Vanuatu defeated Fiji in two One-Day Series in Port Vila as well as claiming the prestigious 2009 ICC EAP Men's Cricket Trophy (Non-World Cricket League) held in Samoa, defeating the hosts in the final. At a junior level, Vanuatu has finished second to Papua New Guinea in the following competitions: East Asia – Pacific Under 15 Super 8s, Melbourne, Australia, 2005; East Asia – Pacific Under 15 Super 8s, Apia, Samoa, 2007; East Asia – Pacific Under 19 World Cup Qualifying Tournament, Port Vila, Vanuatu, 2007.
At the 2018 ICC World Cricket League Division Four tournament, Vanuatu recorded victories against Bermuda, a former ODI team, and Denmark, which has previously played as high as Division Two. However, they were still relegated to Division Five based on net run rate.
In August 2019, Australian Clint McKay was appointed as the interim coach of the team, ahead of the 2019 Malaysia Cricket World Cup Challenge League A tournament.
World Cricket LeagueEdit
- 2008 Division Five: 12th place – relegated to regional qualifier
- 2010 Division Eight: 3rd place
- 2012 Division Eight: Champions – promoted
- 2013 Division Seven: 2nd place – promoted
- 2013 Division Six: 3rd place
- 2015 Division Six: 2nd place – promoted (in place of Suriname, who were disqualified for playing unqualified players)
- 2016 Division Five: 4th place – relegated to regional qualifier 
- 2017 Division Five: 2nd place – promoted 
- 2018 Division Four: 5th place – relegated 
EAP 50-over tournamentsEdit
EAP 20-over tournamentsEdit
- 2009: 5th place
Records and StatisticsEdit
International Match Summary — VanuatuLast Updated 13 July 2019
|Twenty20 Internationals||9||2||7||0||0||22 March 2019|
- Highest team total: 180/5 v Samoa, on 12 July 2019 at Faleata Oval No 3, Apia.
- Highest individual score: 62, Nalin Nipiko v Philippines, 23 March 2019 at Amini Park, Port Moresby.
- Best bowling figures in an innings: 5/19, Nalin Nipiko v Papua New Guinea, on 9 July 2019 at Faleata Oval No 3, Apia.
Most T20I runs for Vanuatu
Most T20I wickets for Vanuatu
T20I record versus other nations
Records complete to T20I #826. Last updated 13 July 2019.
|Opponent||M||W||L||T||NR||First match||First win|
|vs Associate Members|
|Papua New Guinea||5||0||5||0||0||22 March 2019|
|Philippines||2||1||1||0||0||23 March 2019||23 March 2019|
|Samoa||2||1||1||0||0||9 July 2019||12 July 2019|
- High Performance Manager : Peter Buchanan
- Manager: Mark Stafford
- Head coach: Clint McKay
- Asst. coach:
- Batting coach: None
- Bowling coach:
- Spin Bowling Coach:
- Fielding coach:
- Mental conditioning coach:
- Fitness trainer: Brett Wright
- Head Physiotherapist: Anthony Smith
- Masseur: n/a
- Performance analyst: n/a
- "Sport: Former Aussie bowler Clint McKay to coach Vanuatu". Radio New Zealand. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- "ICC Rankings". International Cricket Council.
- "T20I matches - Team records". ESPNcricinfo.
- "T20I matches - 2019 Team records". ESPNcricinfo.
- Cricinfo "Vanuatu granted associate status" 6 July 2009 http://www.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/412973.html. Retrieved 6 July 2009
- Other matches played by New Hebrides – CricketArchive. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
- Other matches played by Vanuatu – CricketArchive. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
- "Suriname withdrawal was sparked by Vanuatu appeal". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- "All T20 matches between ICC members to get international status". International Cricket Council. 26 April 2018. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- "2nd Match, ICC World Twenty20 East Asia-Pacific Region Final at Port Moresby, Mar 22 2019". Cricinfo. Retrieved 22 March 2019.
- "All to play for in last ever World Cricket League tournament". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- ICC World Cricket League Division Four Table - 2018
- Suriname pull out of WCL Division 5
- Victorious Vanuatu qualifies for World Cricket League Division 5
- "Records / Vanuatu / Twenty20 Internationals / Result summary". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 22 March 2019.
- "Records / Vanuatu / Twenty20 Internationals / Highest totals". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Records / Vanuatu / Twenty20 Internationals / High scores". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Records / Vanuatu / Twenty20 Internationals / Best bowling figures". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Records / Vanuatu / Twenty20 Internationals / Most runs". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 24 March 2019.
- "Records / Vanuatu / Twenty20 Internationals / Most wickets". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 24 March 2019.
- Sport: New Vanuatu cricket coach excited by new challenge