Kuwait national cricket team
The Kuwait national cricket team is the team that represents the State of Kuwait in international cricket. The team is organised by the Kuwait Cricket Association, which has been an associate member of the International Cricket Council (ICC) since 2005, having previously been an affiliate member since 1998. Kuwait made its international debut in 1979, but has only played regularly at international level since the early 2000s, appearing regularly in Asian Cricket Council tournaments since then. Beginning in the early 2010s, the side appeared in several World Cricket League events, although it was relegated back to regional level after the 2013 Division Six tournament.
|Association||Kuwait Cricket Association|
|International Cricket Council|
|ICC status||Affiliate (1998) |
Associate member (2005)
|First international||v Bahrain at Kuwait City; 30 October 1979|
|First T20I||v Maldives at Al Emarat Cricket Stadium, Muscat; 20 January 2019|
|Last T20I||v Qatar at West End Park International Cricket Stadium, Doha; 6 July 2019|
|As of 6 July 2019|
In April 2018, the ICC decided to grant full Twenty20 International (T20I) status to all its members. Therefore, all Twenty20 matches played between Kuwait and other ICC members after 1 January 2019 will be a full T20I.Kuwait made its Twenty20 International debut on 20 January 2019, defeating Maldives by eight wickets in the 2019 ACC Western Region T20 at Al Emarat Cricket Stadium, Muscat, Oman.
2000 - 2009Edit
In 2004, Kuwait pulled off a series off upsets to finish in third place in that year's ACC Trophy, only just missing out on qualification for the 2005 ICC Trophy. They did qualify for the repêchage tournament in early 2005 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, in which they finished sixth after losing to the Cayman Islands in a play-off.
In February 2006, Kuwait finished third out of five teams when they hosted the ACC Middle East Cup. In August, they took part in the ACC Trophy, but were unable to reproduce their strong 2004 performance. They were eliminated in the first round when a tie with Hong Kong left them in third place in their group on run rate. A win in this match would have seen them through to the quarter finals.
2010 - presentEdit
Kuwait has participated in several World Cricket League tournaments, hosting and winning Division Eight in 2010; winning Division Seven in Botswana in May 2011; and coming third in Division Six in Malaysia in September 2011. Kuwait set one of the lowest ever T20 targets during the 2014 Asian Games.
- 2000: First round
- 2002: First round
- 2004: 3rd place
- 2006: First round
- 2008: 8th place
- 2010: 7th place
- 2012: 7th place
- 2014: 3rd place
- 2010 Division Eight: Champions – promoted
- 2010 Division Seven: Champions – promoted
- 2011 Division Six: 3rd place
- 2013 Division Six: 6th place – relegated to regional tournaments
- 2014: QF
ACC Western Region T20Edit
- 2019:4th place
International Match Summary — KuwaitLast Updated 6 July 2019
|Twenty20 Internationals||7||3||2||2||0||20 January 2019|
- Highest team total: 203/5 (20 Overs) v Qatar, 6 July 2019 at West End Park International Cricket Stadium, Doha 
- Highest individual score: 103, Ravija Sandaruwan v Bahrain, 23 January 2019 at Al Amerat Cricket Stadium, Muscat 
- Best individual bowling figures: 3/16, Imran Ali v Maldives, 20 January 2019 at Al Amerat Cricket Stadium, Muscat 
Most T20I runs for Kuwait 
Most T20I wickets for Kuwait 
T20I record versus other nations
Records complete to T20I #818. Last updated 6 July 2019.
|Opponent||M||W||L||T||NR||First match||First win|
|vs Associate Members|
|v Bahrain||1||1||0||0||0||23 January 2019||23 January 2019|
|v Maldives||1||1||0||0||0||20 January 2019||20 January 2019|
|v Qatar||4||1||1||2||0||22 January 2019||4 July 2019|
|v Saudi Arabia||1||0||1||0||0||24 January 2019|
Note: Kuwait lost both of their tied matches against Qatar in Super Over.
- "ICC Rankings". International Cricket Council.
- "T20I matches - Team records". ESPNcricinfo.
- "T20I matches - 2019 Team records". ESPNcricinfo.
- Kuwait at CricketArchive
- Other matches played by Kuwait – CricketArchive. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
- Kuwait name former South Africa opener Gibbs as new head coach
- "All T20 matches between ICC members to get international status". International Cricket Council. 26 April 2018. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- Achievements at official website
- 2000 ACC Trophy Archived 22 August 2010 at the Wayback Machine at CricketEurope
- 2002 ACC Trophy at CricketEurope
- Asian qualifying for the 2005 ICC Trophy Archived 6 February 2012 at the Wayback Machine at the 2005 ICC Trophy official website
- Scorecard of Cayman Islands v Kuwait, 27 February 2005 at CricketArchive
- Points Table for 2006 ACC Middle East Cup at CricketArchive
- 2006 ACC Trophy Archived 11 May 2008 at the Wayback Machine at CricketEurope
- 2007 ACC Twenty20 Cup at CricketEurope
- Cricinfo, Accessed May 8 2011
- Cricinfo, Accessed May 8 2011
- "Records / Kuwait / Twenty20 Internationals / Result summary". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "Records / Kuwait / Twenty20 Internationals / Highest totals". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "Records / Kuwait / Twenty20 Internationals / High scores". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "Records / Kuwait / Twenty20 Internationals / Best bowling figures". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "Records / Kuwait / Twenty20 Internationals / Most runs". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "Records / Kuwait / Twenty20 Internationals / Most wickets". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 21 May 2019.