Maldives national cricket team
The Maldives national cricket team represents the country of the Maldives in international cricket. Although they did not become an affiliate member of the International Cricket Council (ICC) until 2001, they have taken part in the ACC Trophy on every occasion since its inception in 1996. They have never progressed beyond the first round of the tournament. They became an associate member in 2017.
Cricket Board of Maldives logo
|Nickname(s)||The Red Seas|
|International Cricket Council|
|ICC status||Associate member (2017)|
|First international||v. Papua New Guinea at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 7 September 1996|
|First T20I||v Kuwait at Al Emarat Cricket Stadium, Muscat; 20 January 2019|
|Last T20I||v Qatar at Al Emarat Cricket Stadium, Muscat; 23 January 2019|
|As of 23 January 2019|
With the separation of the ACC Trophy into Elite and Challenge divisions, following their performance at the 2006 ACC Trophy the Maldives have since competed in the Challenge divisions in both 2009 (when they came 3rd) and in the 2010 competition. The 2010 competition marked their first victory in an international tournament, defeating Saudi Arabia by 1 wicket in the final of the competition.
Starting from 2018, Asif Khan coaches the men’s national team. From February 2013, Nilantha Cooray is the National development cricket Coach.
In April 2018, the ICC decided to grant full Twenty20 International (T20I) status to all its members. Therefore, all Twenty20 matches played between the Maldives and other ICC members after 1 January 2019 will be a full T20I. Maldives made its Twenty20 International debut on 20 January 2019, losing to Kuwait by eight wickets in the 2019 ACC Western Region T20 at Al Emarat Cricket Stadium, Muscat, Oman.
- 1996: Group stages
- 1998: Group stages
- 2000: Group stages
- 2002: Group stages
- 2004: Group stages
- 2006: Group stages
- 2009 Challenge: 3rd place
- 2010 Challenge: Winners
International Match Summary — MaldivesLast Updated 23 January 2019
|Twenty20 Internationals||4||0||4||0||0||20 January 2019|
- Maldives' highest score: 141/4 against Bahrain, 2019 ACC Western Region T20
- Highest individual score: 67 by Mohamed Rishwan against Saudi Arabia, 2019 ACC Western Region T20 
- Best bowling figures in an innings: 5/24 by Ibrahim Hassan against Bahrain, 2019 ACC Western Region T20
T20I record versus other nations
Records complete to T20I #725. Last updated 23 January 2019.
|Opponent||M||W||L||T||NR||First match||First win|
|vs Associate Members|
|v Bahrain||1||0||1||0||0||21 January 2019|
|v Kuwait||1||0||1||0||0||20 January 2019|
|v Qatar||1||0||1||0||0||23 January 2019|
|v Saudi Arabia||1||0||1||0||0||22 January 2019|
- "Ireland and Afghanistan ICC newest full members amid wide-ranging governance reform". International Cricket Council. 22 June 2017. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- "T20I matches - Team records". ESPNcricinfo.
- "T20I matches - 2019 Team records". ESPNcricinfo.
- "CricketArchive – Maldives page". CricketArchive. 5 December 2010. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- Maldives v Saudi Arabia, ACC Trophy Challenge 2010/11 (Final)
- "All T20 matches between ICC members to get international status". International Cricket Council. 26 April 2018. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- "Records / Maldives / Twenty20 Internationals / Result summary". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- "Maldives T20I Highest totals". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "Maldives T20I Highest individual score". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "Maldives T20I Best bowling figures in an innings". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 21 January 2019.