Herlev is known for its hockey team, the Herlev Hornets.
Herlev Hospital is 120m in height. It is famous for being Denmark's tallest building and the fifth tallest hospital in the world. Its modern, functional architecture in bright concrete, glass and bronze-coloured aluminum gives a unique impression. Construction began in 1965 and the hospital was finished in 1975. It was opened in 1976. In 2021, the new Emergency Room and paediatric centre were opened by Crown Princess Mary, the Danish Minister of Health Magnus Heunicke, and Sophie Hæstorp Andersen, chairman of the Region Hovedstaden.
Herlev has several small, independent museums placed around the city.
Herlev train station serves the central part of Herlev. Local buses from the bus terminal outside the train station provide connections to more remote areas of the municipality.
- Lars Lilholt (born 1953) a Danish singer, violinist, guitarist and composer
- Anita Lerche (born 1973) a singer-songwriter, composer and actress, grew up in Herlev
- Niclas Genckel Petersen (born 1980) and Jannik Brandt Thomsen make up Nik & Jay, a Danish hip-hop/pop duo
- Mette Lindberg (born 1983) a Danish vocalist, part of The Asteroids Galaxy Tour, a psychedelic pop group.
- Kim Staal (born 1978) a Danish former ice hockey forward, who last played with Herlev Eagles
- Thor Dresler (born 1979) a Danish former ice hockey player and current ice hockey coach
- Dennis Sørensen (born 1981) a retired Danish footballer with over 350 club caps
- Kenneth Hansen (born 1987) a motorcycle speedway rider
- Anders Randrup (born 1988) a Danish footballer with over 250 club caps
- Mike Jensen (born 1988) a Danish footballer with over 340 club caps and five for Denmark
- Pernille Blume (born 1994) a Danish swimmer, gold medallist in women's 50 m freestyle at the 2016 Summer Olympics