This article possibly contains original research. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Pulwama (known as Panwangam in antiquity, and later as Pulgam) is a city and a notified area council in Pulwama district, in India’s northern state of Jammu and Kashmir. It is almost 25 km (16 mi) from the summer capital of Srinagar. Pulwama is often called the "Anand of Kashmir" (the joy, the delight), but also the "Dudha-Kul of Kashmir" (the milk) on account of its high milk production.
|States and territories of India||Jammu and Kashmir|
|• Total||1,398 km2 (540 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,630 m (5,350 ft)|
|• Density||550/km2 (1,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Sex ratio||913 ♀/♂|
|Distance from Shopian||23 kilometres (14 mi)|
|Distance from Srinagar||25 kilometres (16 mi)|
Pulwama is located at  It has an average elevation of 1,630 m (5,350 ft)..
Pulwama is home to various educational institutions including
According to 2011 Census of India, Pulwama has a population of 18,440 of which 10,070 are males while 8,370 are females. Population of Children with age of 0-6 is 3167 which is 17.17 % of total population of Pulwama. Female Sex Ratio is of 831 against state average of 889. Moreover Child Sex Ratio in Pulwama is around 718 compared to Jammu and Kashmir state average of 862. Literacy rate of Pulwama city is 74.18 % higher than state average of 67.16 %.
Majority of the population follows Islam, which consist of 94.59% of total population of town. Other minority religions are Hindu 4.63%, Sikh 0.34%, Christianity 0.17%, Buddhism 0.02% and Jains are 0.01%. 0.24% people not stated their religion.
Other cities and townsEdit
- Jasbir Singh (2004). The economy of Jammu & Kashmir. Radha Krishan Anand & Co. ISBN 9788188256099. Retrieved 2 December 2010.
The original name of Pulwama was Panwangam, which comprised four local namely, Malikpora, Dangerpora, Chatapora, Dalipora.
- Parvéz Dewân (2004). Parvéz Dewân's Jammû, Kashmîr, and Ladâkh: Kashmîr. Manas Publications. ISBN 9788170491798. Retrieved 2 December 2010.
The original name of Pulwama city(from which the district takes its name) was Panwangam. Over the centuries it got shortened to Pulgam. This in turn gradually changed to Pulwama.
- "Pulwama". Official website of Pulwama district.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Pulwama
- Government Degree College Tral
- Government Degree College Pampore
- Government Womens Degree college Pulwama
- Government Degree College Awantipora
- Government Degree College Rajpora
The students at Government Degree College in Pulwama, another southern town, were online again in 30 seconds.
- "Pulwama Population Census 2011 - 2019". census2011.co.in. Retrieved 17 February 2019.