Pravin kunal Tambe (born 8 October 1971 in Mumbai, Maharashtra) is an Indian cricketer who currently plays for Sunrisers Hyderabad. Tambe made his IPL debut at the age of 41 and he is the oldest IPL player in history when Rajasthan Royals v Delhi Daredevils at Jaipur in May 2013. Currently Tambe captains the DY Patil Sports Academy B team in Navi Mumbai.
|Full name||Pravin Vijay Tambe|
8 October 1971 |
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Height||5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)|
|Bowling||Right arm leg break|
|Domestic team information|
|2013-2015||Rajasthan Royals (squad no. 02)|
Source: Cricinfo, April 12, 2016
When he was young Pravin wanted to be a fast bowler but it was his Orient Shipping captain Ajay Kadam who asked him to bowl leg-spin. He was part of Shivaji Park Gymkhana team where his leg-spin impressed Sandeep Patil as well. "Sandeep Patil rated Pravin’s flipper highly," said Pravin's father Vijay in an interview with CricketCountry.
Indian Premier League CareerEdit
Pravin had an interesting twist to his life. A man who never played for his city, got selected for Indian Premier League. "For someone who has not even got a chance to play first-class cricket and has worked hard all these years in Dr HD Kanga Memorial Cricket League, it is terrific story" says Rahul Dravid, his chief mentor at Rajasthan Royals.
Former club-mate and Mumbai selector Abey Kuruvilla also revealed that Tambe has only peaked over the last 8 years, ever since he switched from bowling medium pace to leg spin. He received the Golden Wicket award (for taking most wickets in the tournament) in Champions League 2013.
He took a brilliant hat-trick against KKR on 5 May 2014 in Ahmedabad which earned him the man of the match award. He also got the purple cap for the first time in his career by becoming the highest wicket taker in IPL 2014 (till the 25th match).
Champions League 2013 HighlightsEdit
Tambe (3/10) became the first bowler to complete 10 wickets (ave. 5.90) in four matches in the Champions League T20. Tambe is the first and only bowler to bowl 15 overs in the present competition without conceding a six. Tambe's economy rate of 3.93 is the best amongst the bowlers claiming five wickets or more in the present competition.
He received his maiden call for Mumbai cricket team squad in 2013–14 Ranji Trophy and made his debut in the next round vs Orissa cricket team. He made his List A debut for Mumbai in the 2016–17 Vijay Hazare Trophy on 25 February 2017.
In August 2015, Tambe played in a private T20 tournament in the United States. He was member of a team that included Mohammad Ashraful who was serving a five-year ban imposed on him by the Bangladesh Cricket Board for connections in a fixing scandal during the 2013 Bangladesh Premier League.
- Mohit (September 30, 2013). "Pravin Vijay Tambe". SmashReport. Archived from the original on February 10, 2014. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- Bhalerao, Sarang (October 9, 2013). "Pravin Tambe: Life begins at 42". CricketCountry.com. DNA. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- "CLT20: Pravin Tambe's success a great story, says Dravid". Firstpost. Jaipur. PTI. September 26, 2013. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- "Who is Pravin Tambe?". Cricinfo. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "25th match (D/N), Pepsi Indian Premier League at Ahmedabad, May 5 2014 - Match Summary". ESPNCricinfo. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "List of players sold and unsold at IPL auction 2017". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- "Tambe named in Mumbai Ranji squad for first time". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Vijay Hazare Trophy, Group C: Gujarat v Mumbai at Chennai, Feb 25, 2017". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- Peter Della Penna, Mohammad Isam (August 4, 2015). "Pravin Tambe played T20 with banned Ashraful in USA". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Tambe unlikely to face sanction for playing with banned Ashraful". ESPN Cricinfo. August 5, 2015. Retrieved 28 February 2018.