In cricket, a five-wicket haul (also known as a "five–for" or "fifer") refers to a bowler taking five or more wickets in a single innings. This is regarded by the critics as a notable achievement. As of 2018, only seven cricketers have taken a five-wicket haul in all three international formats of the game (Test cricket, One Day International and Twenty20 International): Sri Lankans Ajantha Mendis and Lasith Malinga, Indians Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Kuldeep Yadav, New Zealander Tim Southee, South African Imran Tahir and Pakistani Umar Gul. In 2018, Afghan cricketer Mujeeb Zadran, aged 16, became the youngest bowler to take a five-wicket haul in an ODI. Sri Lankan Muttiah Muralitharan has taken the most five-wicket hauls in Test matches with 67, and Pakistani Waqar Younis has taken the most five-wicket hauls in ODIs with 13. The record for most five-wicket hauls in T20Is is two, shared by three cricketers: South African Imran Tahir, Sri Lankan Ajantha Mendis, and Pakistani Umar Gul.
Australian cricketers speak of "getting a Michelle" when they take five wickets in an innings. This means they have taken "Five for" which has become a "Pfeiffer" and hence a "Michelle", in reference to Michelle Pfeiffer.
- "Swinging it for the Auld Enemy – An interview with Ryan Sidebottom". The Scotsman. Edinburgh. 17 August 2008. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
... I'd rather take fifers (five wickets) for England ...
- Pervez, M.A. (2001). A Dictionary of Cricket. Universities Press. ISBN 978-81-7370-184-9.
- Peter, Ashish (19 February 2018). "The five bowlers to have picked up five-wickets hauls in all three formats as India's Bhuvneshwar Kumar becomes the latest". Sport 360. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "Mujeeb Zadran becomes youngest bowler to pick ODI five-for". The Indian Express. 16 February 2018. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "RECORDS / TEST MATCHES / BOWLING RECORDS / MOST FIVE-WICKETS-IN-AN-INNINGS IN A CAREER". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "RECORDS / ONE-DAY INTERNATIONALS/ BOWLING RECORDS / MOST FIVE-WICKETS-IN-AN-INNINGS IN A CAREER". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "RECORDS / TWENTY20 INTERNATIONALS/ BOWLING RECORDS / MOST FIVE-WICKETS-IN-AN-INNINGS IN A CAREER". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Cricket diary: The bowler who bats and keeps wicket". The Independent. 12 September 1998.