Peter Gill (golfer)
Peter E. Gill (23 July 1930 – 23 April 2020) was an English professional golfer. In 1959 he won the Coombe Hill Assistants' Tournament and the Gor-Ray Cup in successive weeks. He died in 2020 as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
|Full name||Peter E. Gill|
|Born||23 July 1930|
Aldridge, Walsall, England
|Died||23 April 2020 (aged 89)|
Maidstone, Kent, England
|Former tour(s)||European Tour|
European Seniors Tour
|Best results in major championships|
|The Open Championship||CUT: 1953, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1967|
Gill was an assistant professional in the 1950s, first at Little Aston Golf Club and then at Addington Golf Club. He played regularly in assistants' tournaments and in 1953, while still at Little Aston, he reached the semi-final of the Gor-Ray Cup, the PGA Assistants' Championship, before losing to Geoffrey Hunt. He qualified for the Open Championship the same year. In 1959 he won the Coombe Hill Assistants' Tournament and the Gor-Ray Cup in successive weeks. He won the Coombe Hill Tournament after a six-hole playoff with Billy Bingham and then won the Gor-Ray Cup, a stroke ahead of Peter Shanks.
Gill was third in the 1970 John Player Classic, an event that had first prize of £25,000. Christy O'Connor Snr won the event, ahead of Tony Jacklin, with Gill tying with Neil Coles and winning £3,750. Although he over 40 when the tour was formed, Gill played in a few European Tour events in 1972 and 1973.
Gill played in the PGA Seniors Championship in the 1980s. In his first appearance in 1981 he finished a stroke behind Christy O'Connor Snr and Fred Boobyer. The following year he was again a shot out of a playoff. In 1983 he was runner-up, nine strokes behind O'Connor who won the event for the sixth time and for third successive year. Gill played in the European Seniors Tour in its early years, although he was over 60 when the tour was founded. He had one top-10 finish, in the 1992 Belfast Telegraph Irish Senior Masters.
Professional wins (2)Edit
Results in major championshipsEdit
|The Open Championship||CUT||CUT||CUT||CUT||CUT||CUT||WD||CUT|
Note: Gill only played in The Open Championship.
CUT = missed the half-way cut
WD = withdrew
- "Peter Gill (1930 – 2020)". PGA. 23 April 2020.
- "Brothers Meet in Final". The Glasgow Herald. 14 May 1953. p. 5.
- "Assistants' win for P E Gill". The Glasgow Herald. 29 May 1959. p. 11.
- "New Assistants' Champion". The Glasgow Herald. 5 June 1959. p. 11.
- "O'Connor holds off Jacklin and wins £25,000". The Glasgow Herald. 7 September 1970. p. 4.
- "Christy has Irish luck". The Glasgow Herald. 25 July 1981. p. 14.
- "O'Connor again after play-off". The Glasgow Herald. 28 May 1982. p. 23.
- "O'Connor retains his seniors crown". The Glasgow Herald. 27 May 1983. p. 25.
- Brenner, Morgan G. (2009). The Majors of Golf: Complete Results of the Open, the U.S. Open, the PGA Championship and the Masters, 1860-2008. 1. McFarland. ISBN 978-0-7864-3360-5.