The Parkinson’s Foundation is a national organization whose mission is to make life better for people with Parkinson’s disease by improving care and advancing research toward a cure. The Parkinson’s Foundation was established in 2016 through the merger of the National Parkinson Foundation and the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation and has offices in Miami and New York City.
|Founder||Jeanne C. Levey; William Black|
|Legal status||501(c)(3) Non-profit|
|Focus||Parkinson's disease research and resources |
|Headquarters||Miami, Florida; New York City, New York|
|John L. Lehr|
National Medical Director
|Michael S. Okun, M.D.|
The Parkinson’s Disease Foundation (PDF) was founded by William Black, the founder of Chock full o'Nuts, in 1957. Black started the foundation after learning that his controller and close friend was diagnosed with Parkinson’s. His widow, Page Morton Black, served as PDF’s chairman emeritus until her passing in July 2013.
PDF had an advisory council of people who have PD, and a program to advocate for participation in clinical trials. It also had a help line for people with PD and their families.
The National Parkinson Foundation (NPF) was also founded in 1957; it funded around $20 million in care, research and support services. It was founded by Jeanne C. Levey, whose husband suffered from Parkinson's disease. Levey worked at the foundation until her death in 1979 at age 92.
Mergers and acquisitionsEdit
In October 2017, the Parkinson's Foundation acquired the Melvin Yahr International Parkinson's Disease Foundation.
The Parkinson’s Foundation Center of Excellence network consists of leading medical centers around the globe that deliver care to more than 100,000 people with Parkinson’s disease. The Center of Excellence designation identifies institutions providing specialized Parkinson’s disease care.
- "". Parkinson's Foundation. Guidestar. December 31, 2017.
- Saxon, Wolfgang (March 8, 1983). "William Black, Founder and Head of Chock Full O' Nuts Corp., Dies". The New York Times.
- "Education: Joy in Giving". Time Magazine. 18 January 1960. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- name="New Leadership">"Darien Business Leader Appointed Chair Of Parkinson's Disease Foundation Board". Hartford Courant. 22 June 2013. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- "Page Black Obituary". New York Times. 22 July 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- Kunkle, Frederick (March 2016). "Take Action: For many patients and their families, advocacy is about helping themselves and others—and they say anyone can do it". Neurology Now. 12 (1): 24–26. doi:10.1097/01.NNN.0000480824.32028.d1. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
- Peters Smith, Barbara (18 July 2014). "A national voice for people with Parkinson's disease". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- Key, Jessica R. (14 February 2013). "Parkinson's disease affects Blacks, men". Indianapolis Recorder. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- Fleisher, Chris (January 30, 2012). "Bringing Patients' Voices Into Parkinson's Research". Valley News. Archived from the original on February 3, 2012.
- Killeen, Wendy (3 October 2013). "Putting knowledge to work". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Crane, Kristine (27 October 2014). "Do You Have Parkinson's Disease or a Parkinsonism?". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- Burbank, Linda (3 December 2014). "Traveler's Aide: Challenges of flying with Parkinson's". USA Today. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- Better Business Bureau Charity Review
- "Steady Progress". University of Miami Medicine. University of Miami. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- "Press release: National Parkinson Foundation (NPF) and the Parkinson's Disease Foundation (PDF) Complete Merger to Form the Parkinson's Foundation". PR Newswire. National Parkinson Foundation. Retrieved 16 February 2017.
- "Parkinson's Foundation, Inc". Guidestar. Retrieved 10 November 2018.
- "Merger of Parkinson's support groups will better serve patients, chief executive says". Patient Daily. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- "Press Release: Parkinson's Foundation, Melvin Yahr Int'l Parkinson's Disease Foundation Merge". 2017-10-30.
- "Cleveland Clinic named Center of Excellence in Parkinson's care". 2018-07-24.
- "Parkinson's Foundation Adds 3 Centers of Excellence to Its Network". 2019-09-27.
- Ohene, Almaz (5 April 2018). "Exclusive interview: John Lehr and James Beck of the Parkinson's Foundation". Parkinson's Life.
- Finnegan, Gary (17 April 2018). "5 minutes with… Karlin Schroeder from Parkinson's Foundation". Patient Focused Medicines Development.