Parental Guidance (film)
Parental Guidance is a 2012 American family comedy film starring Billy Crystal, Bette Midler, Marisa Tomei, and Tom Everett Scott and directed by Andy Fickman. It was released on December 25, 2012. It was the final 20th Century Fox film to be financed by Dune Entertainment as part of a deal with the studio; shortly after, the company merged with RatPac Entertainment and struck a financing deal with Warner Bros.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Andy Fickman|
|Music by||Marc Shaiman|
|Edited by||Kent Beyda|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|Box office||$119.8 million|
Artie Decker, a sports commentator for the minor-league Fresno Grizzlies, is fired due to his old school talk and lack of social media. He and his eager-to-please wife, Diane, agree to babysit their three grandchildren, Harper, Turner, and Barker in Atlanta when their daughter, Alice, and son-in-law, Phil, go away for an entrepreneur exhibition. Problems arise as their parenting skills collide with Alice and Phil's helicopter parenting. After learning of the children's various problems, such as Harper's high achievement syndrome, Turner's stutter, and Barker's imaginary friend Carl, they try to make them their new best friends.
Alice eventually returns home when her boss gives her an assignment to redesign the website for the X Games. Artie uses this to his advantage, as he arranges an interview for the role of sports commentator. He manages to place Barker's life in danger when he nearly gets hurt by a skateboard ridden by Tony Hawk. Eventually, the tension comes to a head as Alice disagrees with Diane's letting Harper attend a party the night before a violin audition and the death of Carl. Alice eventually reconciles with Artie and Diane, and she allows Harper to withdraw from the audition. Turner later takes her place on stage and resolves his stutter by reciting the commentary from the Shot Heard 'Round The World. Afterwards, Artie and Diane successfully become a major part of their grandchildren's lives, with Artie taking up a new job as a commentator for a Little League Baseball team along with Turner.
- Billy Crystal as Artie Decker
- Bette Midler as Diane Decker
- Marisa Tomei as Alice Decker-Simmons
- Tom Everett Scott as Phil Simmons
- Bailee Madison as Harper Simmons
- Joshua Rush as Turner Simmons
- Kyle Harrison Breitkopf as Barker Simmons
- Gedde Watanabe as Mr. Cheng
- Rhoda Griffis as Dr. Schveer
- Jennifer Crystal Foley as Cassandra
- Tony Hawk as Himself
- Steve Levy as Himself
- Linda Cohn as Herself
The film was released on December 25, 2012, in the United States and Canada and on December 26, 2012, in Australia, the United Kingdom, and Ireland. Its international release spans from December 19, 2012, to July 11, 2013, with the first 2013 release on January 3, 2013, in the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, and Singapore.
Rotten Tomatoes gives the film an approval rating of 17% based on 86 reviews with an average rating of 3.8/10. The website's critical consensus states: "Parental Guidance is sweet but milquetoast, an inoffensive trifle that's blandly predictable." Metacritic gives it a weighted average score of 36 out of 100, based on reviews from 20 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A–" on an A+ to F scale. On Cinema at the Cinema gave the film five bags of popcorn.
- "PARENTAL GUIDANCE (U)". British Board of Film Classification. November 30, 2012. Retrieved November 30, 2012.
- "Parental Guidance (2012)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- "2012 Movies Preview: 'Hunger Games' 'The Dark Knight Rises' 'Avengers' & More". Huffington Post. AOL, Inc. January 10, 2012. Retrieved June 16, 2012.
- "Fox Moves Billy Crystal's 'Parental Guidance' To Christmas Day". Deadline Hollywood (PMC). Retrieved June 16, 2012.
- "Fox Moves Billy Crystal Comedy Parental Guidance Release Date To Christmas". CinemaBlend.com. Retrieved June 16, 2012.
- Via Press: Parental Guidance - Release Dates
- Amazon: Parental Guidance
- LA Times: Movie box-office totals for 2012 projected to set record Retrieved January 2, 2013
- "Parental Guidance (2012)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved August 23, 2018.
- "Parental Guidance Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved August 23, 2018.
- "Find CinemaScore" (Type "Parental Guidance" in the search box). CinemaScore. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- "34th Annual Young Artist Awards". YoungArtistAwards.org. Retrieved March 31, 2013.