Padikkadha Medhai (transl. The uneducated genius) is a 1960 Tamil-language drama film starring Sivaji Ganesan and Sowcar Janaki. The film, directed by A. Bhimsingh, had musical score by K. V. Mahadevan and was released on 25 June 1960. It is a remake of 1953 Bengali film Jog Biyog  based on the novel of same name by Ashapoorna Devi. The film was remade in Telugu in 1962 as Aathmabandhuvu, in Kannada in 1971 as Baala Bandana ,  and in Hindi in 1967 as Meherbaan. This movie was also an inspiration for 1987 Tamil movie Per Sollum Pillai  and the 1990 Hindi movie Swarg.
|Directed by||A. Bhimsingh|
|Screenplay by||A. Bhimsingh|
|Story by||Ashapoorna Devi|
S. V. Ranga Rao
S. A. Ashokan
E. V. Saroja
T. R. Ramachandran
|Music by||K. V. Mahadevan|
|Cinematography||G. Vittal Rao|
|Edited by||A. Bhimsingh|
|25 June 1960|
Chandrasekaran, an industrialist, is very successful in his business and has a loving family. His three sons and two daughters live happily as one family. He brings up an orphan, Rangan (Sivaji Ganesan), who is utterly devoted to the family. Calamity strikes the family in the form of loss in business. The last daughter's marriage gets cancelled. The brothers and their wives ill-treat their parents and Rangan and his wife. Seeing this, Chandrasekaran has no choice to ask Rangan and his wife leave their house. In the aftermath, Chandrasekaran dies a broken-hearted man leaving his wife and youngest daughter at their children's mercy. Rangan, with his simplicity and pure-hardheartedness, takes it upon himself to look after the mother and sister. In the end, he proves that love and affection is the greatest wealth.
- Sivaji Ganesan as Rangan
- Sowcar Janaki as Lakshmi (Rangan wife)
- S. V. Ranga Rao as Chandrasekaran
- P. Kannamba as Parvathi (Chandrasekaran Wife)
- S. A. Ashokan as Thiyagu (Chandrasekaran 1st Son)
- R. Muthuraman as Sridhar (Chandrasekaran 2nd Son)
- T. R. Ramachandran as Ragu (Chandrasekaran 3rd Son)
- E. V. Saroja as Geetha (Chandrasekaran Daughter)
- Santhiya as (Thiyagu Wife)
- S. R. Sivakami as (Sridhar Wife)
- A. Sakunthala as Tharani (Ragu Lover)
- M. S. Sundari Bai as Rajamma (Chandrasekaran Relaitive Dougtor)
- Pakkirisamy as Chandru (Rajamma Son)
- M. N. Krishnan
- M. R. Santhanam as Vajravel (Chandrasekar Friend)
- Kottapuli Jayaraman as Tharani Duplicate Parents
- T. K. Balachandran as Geetha Husband
- T. S. Durairaj as Kunndu pillai (Rangan Friend)
- T. P. Muthulakshmi as Ranjitham (Kunndu pillai Wife)
- S. D. Subbulakshmi as Samiyar (Guest role)
- Producer: N. Krishnaswamy
- Production Company: Bala Movies
- Director: A. Bhimsingh
- Music: K. V. Mahadevan
- Lyrics: Mahakavi Bharathiyar, Kannadasan & A. Maruthakasi
- Story: Asha Poorna Devi
- Screenplay: A. Bhimsingh
- Dialogues: K. S. Gopalakrishnan
- Art Direction: R. B. S. Mani
- Editing: A. Bhimsingh
- Choreography: K. N. Dhandayuthapani Pillai
- Cinematography: G. Vittal Rao
- Audiography: T. S. Rangasamy
The music was composed by K. V. Mahadevan, while lyrics were written by Mahakavi Bharathiyar, Kannadasan and A. Maruthakasi.Playback singers are T. M. Soundararajan, Seerkazhi Govindarajan, A. L. Raghavan, P. Leela, P. Suseela, Soolamangalam Rajalakshmi, M. S. Rajeswari, K. Jamuna Rani & L. R. Eswari
|1||"Aadi Pizhaithaalum Paadi Pizhaithaalum"||P. Leela||A. Maruthakasi||04:20|
|2||"Engiruntho Vanthan"||Seerkazhi Govindarajan||Mahakavi Bharathiyar||03:16|
|3||"Inba Malargal Poothu"||P. Suseela, L. R. Eswari||A. Maruthakasi||03:25|
|4||"Ore Oru Oorile"||T. M. Soundararajan, Soolamangalam Rajalakshmi||Kannadasan||04:09|
|5||"Padithathanal Arivu"||M. S. Rajeswari||02:52|
|6||"Seevi Mudichu Singarichu"||T. M. Soundararajan||A. Maruthakasi||03:58|
|7||"Pakkathile Kanni Pen"||A. L. Raghavan, K. Jamuna Rani||03:00|
|8||"Ulladhai Solven"||T. M. Soundararajan||Kannadasan||03:09|
|9||"Vindhaiyinum Periya Vindhaiyadi"||P. Leela||A. Maruthakasi||03:20|
|10||"Ore Oru Oorile"||T. M. Soundararajan||Kannadasan||01:23|
- "Padikkadha Medhai". nadigarthilagam.com. Retrieved 6 November 2014.
- Vamanan (23 April 2018). "Tamil cinema's bong connection". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 February 2019.
- ரவிக்குமார், வா (5 August 2016). "திறந்த வெளி திரையரங்கத்தின் முன்னோடி!". The Hindu Tamil. Retrieved 14 August 2019.
- Narasimham, M. L. (21 July 2016). "Athmabandhuvu (1962)". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 28 February 2019.
- Krishnaswamy, N. (24 July 1987). "In tune with the times". The Indian Express. p. 5.
- "Padikkaatha Methai". The Indian Express. 1 July 1960. p. 3.