Odd (Shinee album)
Odd is the fourth Korean studio album (seventh overall) by South Korean boy band Shinee. It was released digitally and physically on May 18, 2015 under S.M. Entertainment and distributed by KT Music. The album contains 11 songs, including the title track "View". The music video for the title track was filmed in Thailand. The repackaged album, Married to the Music, was released on the August 3, 2015 with four additional songs.
Digital and A version cover
|Studio album by Shinee|
|Released||May 18, 2015|
|Singles from Odd|
|Married to the Music reissue cover|
Physical version cover
|Singles from Married to the Music|
The album received favorable reviews from music critics, who praised Shinee's experimenting and playing sound which results in a "fresh and evolved album" as well as the groups return to their known R&B side. The album was commercially successful in South Korea—the title track topped the Gaon Digital Chart, while the album charted at number one on the Gaon Album Chart, selling over 165,000 copies during the first month of release. It also sold over 2,000 copies in the US.
Background and releaseEdit
Shinee worked alongside director Min Hee Jin who has been with them since their debut and is known for his visually impactful teasers. The style of clothing for the album's concept sports a comfortable and refreshing vibe, displaying the merits of loose T-shirts and denim shorts most likely to match the R&B vibe. Breaking away from their powerful and precise choreography, the choreography of "View", which was choreographed by Ian Eastwood, brings about a groove style, and they showcase the teamwork and inner strength of an experienced 7-year-old group.
Shinee's fourth full-length album was digitally and physically released on May 18, 2015 and is the group's first Korean release after a two-year hiatus. On May 21, the group began their promotions for the title song "View" on music shows, starting with Mnet's M! Countdown and followed by KBS's Music Bank, MBC's Show! Music Core and SBS's Inkigayo. As part of the promotion, the group members also guested on several variety shows including Hello Counselor, Saturday Night Live Korea and Non-Summit They also appeared on fellow member Jonghyun's radio show, Blue Night. "Odd" also marks the 7th anniversary of Shinee's debut therefore making it more meaningful for the group.
Odd contains a total of 11 songs, with the album including songs produced by international producer teams The Stereotypes and the Underdogs, British composing group LDN (pron. London) Noise, G'harah "PK" Degeddingseze, composer Kenzie, and Steven Lee. The title track "View" is an upbeat song of the deep house genre, produced by English team LDN Noise. It has been described as having a "refined and sensual" sound, expressing love's beauty as a "mixture of diverse senses". Shinee member Jonghyun wrote the lyrics to the song. Member Minho stated that he was worried about the new concept since the musical style is different to what the group has done before, which explains the title.
After its release, Odd debuted at No. 9 on Billboard's Heatseekers Albums chart and No. 1 on Billboard's World Albums chart and sold 2,000 copies in the US. The album also stayed in the top 10 of the Billboard World Albums chart for three consecutive weeks after its release on May 18. The music video for "View" was filmed in different locations in Thailand and was the most watched K-Pop music video in the world for the month of May. Following the success of the album, Shinee were also chosen to become the new models of Shilla Duty Free. As of June 2015, the album has sold over 165,000 albums on Gaon Charts, ranking first for that month.
On July 29, the repackaged album Married to the Music was announced to be released on August 3, with four additional songs: "Married to the Music," "Savior," "Hold You" and "Chocolate." "Married to the Music" is described as funky disco and is the work of LDN Noise, Kenzie, Zak Waters and Adrian McKinnon. "Savior," produced by Zak Waters and lyrics by Kenzie is characterized by trendy and sensual lyrics. "Hold You" is a R&B song which was produced by Stereotypes and Deez. "Chocolate" is a medium-tempo R&B track and was written by group member Jonghyun and Yankie. It's described as a charming love story that is sweet like chocolate. The choreography of the title song, "Married to the Music," is the work of Greg S. Hwang and Tony Testa. The music video was released on the same day as the album.
Jeff Benjamin of Billboard describes the title track as "a journey of different genres, opening with what initially sounds like a beatbox-heavy, hip-hop sound before flipping to a sexy, bouncy electronic beat on the verses until we get to a funk-inspired chorus that mixes in horn blasts, groovy guitar strums and classic boy-band harmonies". Benjamin describing the music video:
The music video is a bit B movie horror film with a little Rocky Horror Picture Show-esque camp thrown in as the guys hit a ghoulish party with radioactive drinks while a faceless woman [...] finds ways to steal the guys' body parts by throwing a knife through Key's neck, stealing Jonghyun's lips through a kiss and such. All the boisterous body-snatching is spliced up with scenes of the guys' slick-as-ever choreography.
He also explains the reason behind the concept for the album stating that international fans might be confused with a Halloween-like concept for a summer release but the group "is actually embracing South Korean's tradition to flock to horror films in the heat of summer" and that it's common knowledge in the country the body temperature cools down while watching the genre and South Korea's ideal time for a scary movie is the summer to cope with sweltering temperatures.
Melon's pop music critics chose Shinee's "Odd" as one of 2015 first half's best albums, praising the vocal skills of the members and stating: "Shinee made an exemplary display of both "pleasure of listening and joy of watching" once again."
"Odd" was also selected as one of MTV IGGY's "25 Best Album of 2015", praising the "experimenting and playing with old and new sounds, resulting in a fresh and evolved album". The title song "View" got positive response, describing it as a great, laid back summer jam even though "the song fools us into thinking it's an uptempo ballad before reaching its techno peak at the chorus." 
Jeff Benjamin of Billboard praised the title song, stating "Despite boasting completely different vibes, "View" isn't that different from "Everybody" in that both have the same repetitive chorus structures, but the latter throws piles of electronica into the chorus while "View" keeps its instrumentation very simple. By going against what's expected, SHINee actually ends up taking more of a risk by doing less and it pays off handsomely." Odd Eye also gets praise, which is written and composed by member Jonghyun, Benjamin states the group "return to the R&B side of SHINee with feathery vocals, tight harmonies and member Onew's falsetto howls acting a centerpiece to this grooving opener." But he also criticized some of the songs of the album like An Ode to You, saying the "unnecessary electric guitar riffs are added to the mix that soils the pure production." Black Hole is also criticized stating "it's not only the shortest song of the album, but also one of the most forgettable." Overall he gives the album 3.5 stars out of 5. The title song, "View", was also included in Billboard's "Top 20 Best K-Pop Songs of 2015".
"Odd" was also nominated as one of the "albums of glory" by Arena Homme+ magazine. Shinee was the only idol group on this list. Kim Yunha, a music critic of Arena Homme+ writes: "K-pop, captivating the pop genre for years, may seem like it’s on its journey to find the "real pop" in the music industry that have been defined as either ballads or dance music at a glance. If you agree on this idea, Shinee is definitely a front-runner that leads this movement. Every time, without any fears, they’ve been opening doors for entirely new levels and after having reached the limit of being a human with "Everybody" what they have arrived to is a very Shinee-ish stateless world of pop. They are still dancing and singing in a place where nobody dares to covet."
Credits adapted from the official homepage.
|6.||"이별의 길" (Farewell My Love)||4:00|
|7.||"너의 노래가 되어" (An Ode to You)||Kim Hyun-woo (CLEF CREW)||Kim Hyun-woo & Kim Du-hyeong of CLEF CREW||4:17|
|9.||"Woof Woof"||Kim In-hyeong (Jam Factory)||3:16|
|10.||"Black Hole"||Kim Min-jeong||2:52|
|11.||"재연" (An Encore)||Kim Jin-hwan||Kim Jin-hwan||4:04|
|Married to the Music – Repackage|
|1.||"Married to the Music"||Kim Min-jung, Kim Bu-min||LDN Noise, Zak Waters, Adrian McKinnon, Ryan S. Jhun||3:35|
|2.||"Savior"||Kenzie||Kenzie, Zak Waters, Alex De Leon||3:54|
|3.||"Odd Eye"||Kim Jonghyun||Kim Jonghyun, Jonathan Yip, Jeremy Reeves, Ray Romulus, Ray McCullugh||3:21|
|4.||"Love Sick"||Kenzie||Kenzie, The Underdogs, Mike Daley, Dewain Whitmore||3:20|
|5.||"View"||Kim Jonghyun||LDN Noise, Ryan S. Jhun, Adrian McKinnon||3:10|
|6.||"Romance"||Kim In-hyeong (Jam Factory), Minho[a]||Andreas Öberg, Maria Marcus,Gustav Karlstrom||3:36|
|7.||"Trigger"||Kenzie||Kenzie, Deez, Rodnae "Chikk" Bell||4:01|
|8.||"이별의 길" (English: Farewell My Love)||1월 8일 (Jam Factory), Minho[a]||Steven Lee, Jimmy Richard, G'harah "PK" Degeddingseze||4:00|
|9.||"너의 노래가 되어" (English: An Ode to You)||Kim Hyun-woo (CLEF CREW)||Kim Hyun-woo & Kim Du-hyeong of CLEF CREW||4:17|
|10.||"Hold You"||Dong Hyun Kim||The Stereotypes and Deez, Dong Hyun Kim, Kye Bum Joo||3:38|
|11.||"Alive"||Kim I-na, MC Meta, Key[b]||The Underdogs, Darius Logan & Dominique Logan||3:05|
|12.||"Woof Woof"||Kim In-hyeong (Jam Factory)||Will Simms, DWB||3:16|
|13.||"Chocolate"||Kim Jonghyun, Yankie||Andreas Oberg, Simon Janlöv||4:12|
|14.||"Black Hole"||Kim Min-jeong||Albi Albertsson, Andreas Öberg, Andreas Carlsson||2:52|
|15.||"재연" (English: An Encore)||Kim Jin-hwan||Kim Jin-hwan||4:04|
Music program awardsEdit
|"View"||Show Champion (MBC Music)||May 27, 2015 |
|M! Countdown (Mnet)||May 28, 2015|
|June 4, 2015|
|Music Bank (KBS)||May 29, 2015|
|June 5, 2015 |
|The Music Trend (SBS)||May 31, 2015|
|June 7, 2015 |
|Show! Music Core (MBC)||June 6, 2015 |
|The Show (SBS MTV)||June 9, 2015 |
|"Married to the Music"||Show Champion (MBC Music)||August 12, 2015 |
|M! Countdown (Mnet)||August 13, 2015|
|Music Bank (KBS)||August 14, 2015|
Married to the MusicEdit
|Worldwide||May 18, 2015||Digital download||S.M. Entertainment|
|South Korea||CD, digital download||S.M. Entertainment, KT Music|
|Japan||July 10, 2015||CD, digital download||Avex Taiwan|
|2015||Mnet Asian Music Awards||Mnet Asian Music Award for Album of the Year||Nominated|
- ""어떤 트렌드 제조할까"…샤이니, 미리보는 '뷰' 포인트". Dispatch (in Korean). Archived from the original on July 26, 2016. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- Ahn, Sung-mi (May 11, 2015). "SHINee to drop new album next week". Kpop Herald. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- Kim, Ji-min (May 11, 2015). "컴백 앞둔 샤이니, 매니저 교체 이뤄졌나? 과거 팬 폭행 사건 재조명 [SHINee to come back with new Korean album "Odd" on May 18th, teaser trailer released]". News Town. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- "샤이니 트랙리스트 공개, 정규 4집 'Odd' 살펴보니..."종현이 작업한 곡 있다?" [SHINee's "Odd" album comeback stage dates announced]". Chosun. May 14, 2015. Archived from the original on July 3, 2015. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- Hong, Hye-jin (19 May 2015). "SHINee to guest on 'SNL Korea'". K-Pop Herald. Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- "SHINee members to appear in 'Hello Counselor'". kpopherald.koreaherald.com. Retrieved 2015-05-11.
- 샤이니 온유 민호, '비정상회담'에 뜬다…전현무와 그룹 결성? (in Korean). JoongAng Ilbo. May 19, 2015. Archived from the original on July 3, 2015. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- SHINee将做客《蓝夜》 公开新专辑Live首秀 (in Chinese). May 19, 2015. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- Won, Ho-jung (May 17, 2015). "SHINee celebrates seven years with 'Odd'". Kpop Herald. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- Lim, Jeong-yeo (May 14, 2015). "SHINee's new album tracklist unveiled". Kpop Herald. Retrieved May 15, 2015.
- "SHINee to unveil 'View' at concert". Kpop Herald. Lim Jeong-yeo. May 13, 2015. Retrieved May 15, 2015.
- Yoon Sarah. "SHINee goes 'camping' with local magazine, reflects on 7 years of K-pop". Kpop Herald. Retrieved June 2, 2015.
- Jeff Benjamin. "SHINee Earn Second No. 1 on World Albums With 'Odd'". Billboard. Retrieved May 28, 2015.
- "엑소·샤이니, 美빌보드 월드앨범차트 동반 톱10..2위·8위". Star View (in Korean). Yoon Sarah. Retrieved June 12, 2015.
- "샤이니, 'VIEW' 뮤직비디오 공개..차별화된 세련미 [Shinee release music video for "VIEW" with distinctive flair]". Chosun (in Korean). Archived from the original on July 23, 2016. Retrieved June 23, 2015.
- Hwang, Hye Jin. "SHINee to Wrap Promotions for ′View′ and Focus on Repackaged Album". Mwave via Newsen. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- Choi, Eun-young. "신라면세점, 한류스타 '샤이니' 신규모델 발탁". eDaily (in Korean). Retrieved June 26, 2015.
- "Gaon Charts: Album sales for May 2015". Retrieved June 26, 2015.
- "샤이니, 리패키지 앨범 '매리드 투 더 뮤직' 발매". Naver (in Korean). July 29, 2015. Retrieved June 29, 2015.
- ""호러, 수트, 디스코"…샤이니, 신곡 포인트는?". Dispatch (in Korean). July 30, 2015. Retrieved August 2, 2015.
- "샤이니, 3일 'Married To The Music' 음원·뮤비 동시 공개 ['Married to the Music' album will be released on August 3rd]". OSEN (in Korean). Retrieved 2015-08-02.
- "샤이니-켄지~스테레오타입스 만남…'돌풍 예고'". The Fact (in Korean). July 30, 2015. Retrieved August 2, 2015.
- "샤이니, 역대급 퍼포먼스로 온다..내달 7일 '뮤뱅' 컴백". OSEN. July 31, 2015. Retrieved August 2, 2015.
- Jeff Benjamin (August 6, 2015). "SHINee Get Odd, Lose Body Parts in 'Married to the Music' Video". Billboard. Retrieved August 8, 2015.
- Benjamin, Jeff. "Review: SHINee Embrace Old & New Sounds on 'Odd': Track-by-Track Review". Jeff Benjamin. Retrieved 2015-05-28.
- "상반기 최고의 가요 앨범 [Best albums of 2015 first half]" (in Korean). Archived from the original on July 16, 2015. Retrieved June 26, 2015.
- "Mid-Year Review: 25 Best Albums of 2015". MTV IGGY. Alexis Hodoyan-Gastelum. Retrieved July 2, 2015.
- "MFBTY, 엑소·샤이니와 美MTV IGGY 선정 상반기 베스트앨범25". Retrieved July 2, 2015.
- Benjamin, Jeff; Oak, Jessica. "The 20 Best K-Pop Songs of 2015". Billboard. Retrieved May 24, 2016.
- "Arena Homme+ - Albums of Glory". Naver Music. Kim Yunha. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- "SHINee Official WebSite". shinee.smtown.com. Retrieved 2015-05-21.
- "SHINee's 'VIEW' wins #1 on 'Show Champion'". Naver. 2015-05-27. Retrieved 2015-05-27.
- "SHINee wins #1 on 'Music Bank'". News1. 2015-05-29. Retrieved 2015-05-30.
- "SHINee's new song VIEW wins #1 on 'Music Bank'". Sports Donga. 2015-06-05. Retrieved 2015-06-08.
- "SHINee wins #1 on 'Inkigayo'". Ten Asia. 2015-06-08. Retrieved 2015-06-07.
- "SHINee's 'VIEW' wins #1 on 'Show! Music Core'". Ten Asia. 2015-06-06. Retrieved 2015-06-08.
- "Shinee Takes Home Ninth Trophy with "View" on "The Show"". Chosun. 2015-06-09. Retrieved 2015-06-09.
- "SHINee's 'MTTM' wins #1 on 'Show Champion'". Naver. 2015-08-12. Retrieved 2015-08-17.
- "SHINee wins #1 on 'M Countdown'". TV Report. 2015-08-13. Retrieved 2015-08-17.
- "SHINee wins #1 on 'Music Bank'". TV Report. 2015-08-14. Retrieved 2015-08-17.
- "South Korea Gaon Album Chart". On the page, select "2015.05.17~2015.05.23" to obtain the corresponding chart. Gaon Chart Retrieved October 13, 2016.
- "Oricon Weekly Chart (see #6)". March 11, 2016. Archived from the original on July 23, 2016.
- "G-Music Albums Chart: July 10-17, 2015" (in Chinese). G-Music. Archived from the original on July 21, 2015.
- "Shinee Chart History (World Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved October 11, 2016.
- "Shinee Chart History (Heatseekers Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved October 11, 2016.
- "Gaon Monthly Charts (see #1)". May 2015. Archived from the original on March 3, 2016.
- "Gaon Year-end Charts (see #8)". Archived from the original on September 10, 2016.
- Gaon (2015-07-28). "Gaon Weekly Charts (see #1)" (in Korean).
- "Gaon Monthly Charts (see #2)". May 2015. Archived from the original on March 5, 2016.
- "iTunes – Music – Odd by Shinee". iTunes Store. Retrieved June 14, 2015.
- "Odd – The 4th Album" (in Korean). Melon. Retrieved June 14, 2015.
- Odd: SHINee Vol.4 (台湾Ａ盤) ［CD+フォトカードセット］ (in Japanese). Tower Records Japan. Retrieved June 24, 2015.
- "MAMA Nominees". mwave. Retrieved 14 May 2016.