Everybody is the fifth EP recorded and performed by the South Korean contemporary R&B idol group Shinee. The EP consists of seven tracks and it incorporates complextro and R&B-slow jam music genres. It was released for physical purchase domestically and for digital download globally on October 14, 2013 by SM Entertainment. The tracks "Everybody" and "Symptoms" were chosen as the lead singles for the promotional cycle. To promote the album, Shinee appeared on several South Korean music programs including M Countdown and Inkigayo.
|EP by Shinee|
|Released||October 14, 2013|
|Recorded||2013 at S.M. Studios, Seoul.|
|Label||S.M. Entertainment, KT Music|
|Producer||Lee Soo Man (executive)|
|Singles from Everybody|
Everybody received positive reviews from music critics—Jakob Dorof of Tiny Mix Tapes praised the album for showcasing the experimental and versatile nature of Shinee's music and Billboard's Jeff Benjamin positively viewed the group's attempt at EDM stating the group found the balance of hyperactive EDM and pop stylings. The EP was commercially successful in South Korea and topped the Gaon Album Chart and sold more than 140,000 copies.
Background and releaseEdit
On October 4, 2013 S.M. Entertainment released a lyric video of a new song, "Symptoms", which was written by Kim Jonghyun himself. Also, the music was composed by The Underdogs, who previously worked on Shinee's songs "Juliette," "Spoiler," and "Selene 6.23". Shinee released Everybody digitally and physically on October 14. The group began their promotions for the title song "Everybody" on October 10 starting with Mnet's M! Countdown and ended their promotions on November 17, 2013 on Inkigayo. After the release, the album charted high in Taiwan and entered at #1 of the Gaon Music Chart. Shinee performed the title track "Everybody" for the first time during the 2013 Gangnam Hallyu Festival.
Everybody contains a total of seven songs, including the title song "Everybody" and "Symptoms". The outfits for the album cover and the "Everybody" music video were from American designer Thom Browne's 2014 S/S Collection. For the album, many hit makers participated such as Thomas Troelsen, The Underdogs, Kenzie, and Jinbo. The title song "Everybody" is classified under the "Complextro" genre and was choreographed by Tony Testa, who previously worked with Shinee on their past hit title tracks "Sherlock" and "Dream Girl". SM Entertainment performance director Hwang Sanghoon (also known as Greg) also participated in planning the choreography. The music video for "Everybody" was released on October 10. On December 20, Shinee released a music video for "Colorful" to thank their fans for their long continuous support. It includes video clips of the members' 2013 promotional activities. As of 2014, the EP has sold more than 140,000 copies.
Jakob Dorof of Tiny Mix Tapes gave the EP a rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. He writes that "Everybody will never be anybody's Pet Sounds, I'm Still In Love With You, Discovery, Meets Rockers Uptown, A Love Supreme, or even FutureSex/LoveSounds — but we're getting closer. The recent Pink Tape album by f(x) — a group engineered by S.M. Entertainment to be the female derivative of SHINee, one of their most successful boy bands — marked a big step forward, and now f(x)'s brother-progenitors have taken things even further. A seven-song mini-album (Korea's format of choice), Everybody makes for a leaner listen than the full-length Pink Tape and by some criteria may rank less impressive. But if we are searching for singular listens — ones devoid of filler, focus groupthink, or ill-fitting raps — then Everybody is K-Pop's most sustained statement to date." Dorof remarked that "Close the Door" highlights the experimental and versatile nature of Shinee's music which frequently charts into unfamiliar territories.
Jeff Benjamin of Billboard praised the title track, "Everybody", stating, "Shinee crams in loads of dubstep alongside bleeps, bloops, build-ups and breakdowns. The electronic overload is topped off with sweet boy band harmonies, resulting in an easy-to-digest electro-pop track". The choreography of the song however was the highlight for the columnist stating it's "the most impressive point of Shinee's comeback".
Credits adapted from the official homepage.
|1.||"Everybody"||Cho Yoonkyung||Thomas Troelsen, Coach & Sendo||4:09|
|2.||"상사병" (Symptoms)||Kim Jonghyun||The Underdogs||3:49|
|3.||"빗 속 뉴욕" (Queen of New York)||Kenzie||Kenzie, Andrew Choi, Kim Jungbae||3:19|
|4.||"1분만" (One Minute Back)||Jeon Gandi||Trinity Music (Fredrik Haggstam, Sebastian Lundberg, Johan Gustafson), Andrew Jackson||3:43|
|5.||"Destination"||Kim Minjung, Minho||Anne Judith Wik, Herbie Crichlow, Erik Lidbom, Jean Beauvoir, Escoffery, Michelle Andrea||3:40|
|6.||"닫아줘" (Close the Door)||Jinbo, Minho||Jinbo||4:01|
|7.||"Colorful"||Jeon Gandi, Minho, Key||Stephan Elfgren, Anders Wigelius||4:07|
- "Symptoms", a slow jam genre song, was the first track from the EP to be unveiled. An accompanying lyric video was uploaded on October 4, 2013. It was the second song the group promoted alongside the title track "Everybody".
- "Everybody", the title track, is of the complextro genre. The music video for the song was released on October 10, 2013.
- "Close the Door", a modern waltz song, was the third track to be announced and was first performed live during the October 13 episode of The Music Trend. According to the domestic music portal site Naver Music, the instrumental piece used an intricate mix of synth stings and chords to produce a "beautiful" melody which couples perfectly with the lullaby-like lyrics of the song – that reinvents the relatively "prehistoric" music style in the Korean music industry. The song was engineered by the veteran South Korean hip hop artist-songwriter Jinbo.
- "Colorful" is a "bright medium-tempo" song and the fifth one to be promoted from the album. It was performed live during their SM Town Week – The Wizard concert stage on December 21, 2013. A Christmas special music video was unveiled a day before featuring the group's activities throughout the year.
|South Korea||Gaon Weekly album chart||1|
|Gaon Monthly album chart||1|
|Gaon Digital Chart||1|
|United States||Billboard World Albums||2|
|Worldwide||October 14, 2013||Digital download||S.M. Entertainment|
|South Korea||CD, Digital download||S.M. Entertainment, KT Music|
|Taiwan||November 6, 2013||CD||Avex Taiwan|
|November 18, 2013|
- 샤이니 멤버 종현, 신곡 '상사병' 작사 참여…매력지수 'Up!' (in Korean). Enews 24. 4 October 2013. Archived from the original on May 31, 2016.
- 샤이니, '에브리바디' 파격변신 예고…온유 티저 공개 (in Korean). Nate via Chosun. Archived from the original on October 12, 2013. Retrieved October 12, 2013.
- "Shinee – Everybody". S.M. Entertainment. Retrieved October 12, 2013.
- Cha, Yo-Rim (September 30, 2013). "SHINee to release new EP". Kpop Herald. Archived from the original on July 19, 2016. Retrieved October 12, 2013.
- "샤이니, 새 미니앨범 'Everybody' 발표하고 하반기 활동 시작" (in Korean). Nate via Chosun. 30 September 2013. Archived from the original on September 30, 2013.
- Lee Sun-min (November 15, 2013). "SHINee performs 'Everybody' one last time on SBS". Korea Joongang Daily. Archived from the original on July 19, 2016.
- 샤이니 'Everybody', 가온차트 음원-음반 싹쓸이! (in Korean). Chosun. 25 October 2013. Archived from the original on July 19, 2016. Retrieved July 6, 2016.
- '컴백' 샤이니, 6일 '강남 한류 페스티벌'서 첫 무대 (in Korean). Wstar News. 2 October 2013. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016.
- "샤이니, 민호 티저 공개…유튜브서 '컴백 스페셜' 전 세계 생중계 – 경제투데이". 2013-10-04. Archived from the original on 2013-10-04. Retrieved 2016-09-26.
- "샤이니, 독특 '제복 패션'.. 5人5色 매력 발산 | Daum 뉴스". 2016-07-19. Archived from the original on 2016-07-19. Retrieved 2016-09-26.
- Cho, Suyoun (14 October 2013). "SHINee returns with a new mini album on October 14". BNTNews. Archived from the original on July 19, 2016. Retrieved July 6, 2016.
- 샤이니 'Everybody', 대만 주간 음반차트에서 1위 등극 (in Korean). Chosun. 24 October 2013. Archived from the original on April 4, 2015. Retrieved July 6, 2016.
- "샤이니, 오늘(8일) 신곡 'Everybody' 뮤비 티저 공개" (in Korean). Hankyung. 8 October 2013. Archived from the original on October 14, 2013.
- "신곡] 샤이니 'Everybody', 잠든 동심을 깨우다…짜릿" (in Korean). Chosun. 14 October 2013. Archived from the original on March 29, 2015.
- "SHINee to release a special music video for "Colorful"" (in Korean). Newsen. 20 December 2013. Archived from the original on June 3, 2016. Retrieved July 6, 2016.
- Cumulative sales for "Everybody":
- "Gaon Album Chart - 2013 (see #16)". Gaon Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. Archived from the original on 3 March 2016. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Gaon Album Chart - December 2014 (see #80)". Gaon Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Gaon Album Chart - July 2014 (see #88)". Gaon Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. Archived from the original on 11 June 2015. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- Dorof, Jacob. "Shinee – Everybody". Tiny Mix Tapes. Archived from the original on July 6, 2016. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- Benjamin, Jeff. "SHINee's 'Everybody' Showcases Some of 2013's Top Choreography: Watch". Billboard. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved July 6, 2016.
- "Shinee's Official Homepage". SM Entertainment. October 10, 2013. Retrieved February 7, 2014.
- "SHINee 샤이니_Everybody_Music Video". Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- "펑키곡, 변신 예고"…샤이니, 신곡 장르 공개 (in Korean). www.dispatch.co.kr. Archived from the original on October 15, 2013. Retrieved October 12, 2013.
- Barboza, Trenton. "What is Complextro? an Emerging Genre Explained". Yahoo Contributor Network. Archived from the original on 20 October 2013. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- "Jinbo – discography" (in Korean). Naver Music. Retrieved October 17, 2013.
- "Everybody (EP) (2013) Weekly Chart (see #1)". October 13–19, 2013. Archived from the original on July 5, 2016.
- "Everybody (EP) (2013) Monthly Chart (see #1)". October 2013.
- "Everybody (EP) (2013) Weekly Digital Chart (see #1)". October 13–19, 2013. Archived from the original on 2015-02-10.
- Billboard Charts
- Billboard Heatseekers Albums
- "Everybody by SHINee" (in Chinese). Avex Taiwan.
- "Everybody (Taiwanese Edition)". cdjapan.co.jp. November 18, 2013. Retrieved November 20, 2013.