Odate–Noshiro Airport (大館能代空港, Odate-Noshiro Kūkō) (IATA: ONJ, ICAO: RJSR) is an airport in Kitaakita, Akita, Japan and is 8.3 NM (15.4 km; 9.6 mi) west of Ōdate at 276 ft (84 m) above sea level. It is also informally known as Akita North Airport (あきた北空港 Akita Kita Kūkō).
|Operator||Odate–Noshiro Airport Administration|
|Serves||Kitaakita, Ōdate, Noshiro, Kazuno|
|Location||Kitaakita, Akita, Japan|
|Elevation AMSL||276 ft / 84 m|
|Coordinates||40°11′31″N 140°22′18″E / 40.19194°N 140.37167°E|
Source: Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism
Efforts to build an airport in northern Akita Prefecture began in the late 1980s. The airport site was decided in April 1989, and construction began in 1994.
Odate–Noshiro Airport opened on 18 July 1998, with Air Nippon services to Tokyo Haneda Airport and Osaka Itami Airport, and seasonal service to Sapporo New Chitose Airport. Services to Sapporo were discontinued in November 1999, and services to Osaka were suspended from May 2010. From January 2011, charter flight operations began to Taiwan's Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport.
The airport is located in northern Akita Prefecture, primarily serving the city of Noshiro and the surrounding region, which includes tourist destinations such as Shirakami-Sanchi, Lake Towada, and Towada-Hachimantai National Park. The airport terminal building makes extensive use of the local Akita cedar wood. However, the low local population density and competition from the Akita Shinkansen and its proximity to the international Aomori Airport have limited profitable airline operations.
The airport has a single, three-story terminal building with one boarding gate. The unsecured part of the terminal building also functions as a roadside station, a government-designated rest area along Akita Prefecture Route 324.
Airlines and destinationsEdit
|All Nippon Airways||Tokyo–Haneda|
Scheduled ground transportation is provided by Shuhoku Bus Group, which operates two daily "limousine bus" services to hotels in Odate City. Taxi and rental car service is also available.
- ^ "Odate-Noshiro Airport" (PDF). Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 October 2016. Retrieved 7 January 2017.
- ^ "大館能代空港ターミナルビル 空港名について". www.onj-airterminal.com (in Japanese). Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- ^ a b "空港元年" (PDF). 広報たかのす. 1 August 1998.
- ^ "大館能代空港ターミナルビル フロアガイド" [Odate-Noshiro Airport Terminal Building Floor Guide]. www.onj-airterminal.com (in Japanese). Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- ^ "東北の道の駅 05030" [Tōhoku Roadside Station number 05030] (in Japanese). Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. 2012. Retrieved 30 March 2021.
- ^ "大館能代空港リムジンバス｜秋北バス 秋田県−バス・タクシー・自動車整備・旅行". www.shuhokubus-gr.co.jp (in Japanese). Retrieved 29 September 2017.