No Woman, No Cry
"No Woman, No Cry" is a reggae song by Bob Marley and the Wailers. The song first became known in 1974 from the studio album Natty Dread. This studio version used a drum machine. The live version from the 1975 album Live! was released as a single and is the best known version; it was included on the greatest hits compilation Legend, and was recorded at the Lyceum Theatre in London on July 17, 1975 as part of his Natty Dread Tour.
|"No Woman, No Cry"|
|Single by Bob Marley and the Wailers|
|from the album Live!|
Bob Marley (uncredited)
|Producer(s)||Bob Marley and the Wailers, Steve Smith, Chris Blackwell|
|Bob Marley and the Wailers singles chronology|
The live version of the song ranked No. 37 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.
Though Bob Marley may have written the song, or at least the melody, songwriter credits were given to Vincent Ford, a friend of Marley's who ran a soup kitchen in Trenchtown, the ghetto of Kingston, Jamaica where Marley grew up. The royalty payments received by Ford ensured his efforts would continue.
1974 studio recordingEdit
Charts and certificationsEdit
|UK Singles Chart||22|
|Dutch Top 40||23|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||30|
|UK Singles Chart||8|
|Israel (Galgalatz's 1970s Top 100)||17|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold|
The title and main refrain, "No Woman, No Cry" is rendered "No, woman, nuh cry" in Jamaican Patois. The "nuh" is pronounced with a short schwa vowel (a "mumbled" vowel, often represented as "uh" in spelling) and represents a clitic ("weakened") form of "no". It is the equivalent to the contraction "don't". The song is about comforting his woman not to cry when he's gone and that things will be alright in the end.[according to whom?]
The Fugees versionEdit
|"No Woman, No Cry"|
|Single by Fugees|
|from the album The Score|
|Released||15 November 1996|
|Genre||Hip hop, reggae fusion|
|Fugees singles chronology|
"No Woman, No Cry" was covered by the Fugees' in 1995. It was released in November 1996 as the fourth single from their second studio album, The Score. The song was produced by Salaam Remi. The Fugees' version of the track features Wyclef Jean on lead vocals, and changes the lyric "in a government yard in Trenchtown" to "in a government yard in Brooklyn". An official remix of the track, featuring Stephen Marley, was included on the group's third release, Bootleg Versions. Wyclef Jean recorded a solo version of the track for his Greatest Hits compilation in 2003.
- UK CD1
- "No Woman, No Cry" (LP version) - 4:03
- "No Woman, No Cry" (Remix) - 3:55
- "No Woman, No Cry" (Remix instrumental) - 3:55
- "Killing Me Softly" (Live) - 4:25
- UK CD2
- "Don't Cry, Dry Your Eyes" - 5:03
- "Don't Cry, Dry Your Eyes" (Instrumental) - 5:03
- "No Woman, No Cry" (LP version) - 4:03
- "A Change Is Gonna Come" (Live) - 6:04
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||40|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||31|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||11|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||6|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||33|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||22|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||1|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||7|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||23|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||2|
|UK R&B (Official Charts Company)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100 Airplay||38|
Other cover versionsEdit
The song has been covered by numerous other artists including:
- Nina Simone
- Billy Ocean
- Katherine Jenkins
- Gym Class Heroes
- Blues Traveler (with Ziggy Marley),
- Cas Haley, O.A.R.
- Devon Allman's Honeytribe
- Joan Baez
- Xavier Rudd
- Isaiah Firebrace
- Jimmy Buffett
- Boney M.
- Jonathan Butler
- James "The King" Brown
- Tim Barry
- No Use for a Name
- Whoopi Goldberg and the Reggae Rodents
- Hikaru Utada
- The String Cheese Incident
- NOFX (live), with El Hefe playing and singing alone
- Tila Tequila
- Pearl Jam
- Andrés Calamaro
- Hugh Masekela
- Twenty One Pilots
- Jimmy Cliff
- Chaif, a Russian rock band, covered the song at many of their live performances
- Pauline Black
- Peter Rowan
- Show of Hands
- John Mayer
- Colbie Caillat
- Bill Bourne
- Matt Maher
- Graham Parker
- Edwin McCain
- Keller Williams
- Eterna Inocencia
- Linkin Park - covered the song and played part of it during their 2010-2011 A Thousand Suns tour. It can be heard at the beginning of "The Messenger" in Tel Aviv, Israel.
- as a duet by Faith Hill with Tim McGraw
- Sean Kingston 
- Byron Lee and the Dragonaires
- Lithuanian pop group ŽAS
- the Arabic singer Ali Bahar.
- Hed PE - The "G-punk" band began covering the song after 2002 at many of their live shows.
- 5nizza - the Ukrainian reggae band covered the song at many live performances
- The Collective Sound in Bournemouth, England (2011)
- Wizkid - the Nigerian recording artist performed a cover of the song at Koga Studios for BBC's Destination Africa.
- Ziynet Sali (2019)
Art Ensemble Of Chicago (instrumental version)
With other lyrics/in other languagesEdit
- in 1978 Joe Dassin recorded "Si Tu Penses À Moi" (If you think of me), a version of No Woman No Cry totally rewritten with French lyrics by Claude Lemesle and Pierre Delanoë.
- Gilberto Gil sung a version of the song in Portuguese with new lyrics as Não chores mais, as a hymn to the political activists returned from exile upon the passing of the Brazilian amnesty law of 1979
- Daniela Mercury, sang the Gilberto Gil version on Balé Mulato – Ao Vivo
- German metal band JBO parodied the song in East Franconian dialect as "Ka Alde, ka G'schrei"
- The ska punk band Spunge is the only band to ever have officially been given permission by the Marley family to change the lyrics, for their cover on the album Room For Abuse.
- Murder 1 featuring Kid Rock has a version of the song with changed lyrics on their 1999 album "American Junkie"
Parodies and samplingEdit
- Naughty by Nature sampled Boney M's version of the song for their hit single "Everything's Gonna Be Alright."
- In the 2004 video game Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations, precinct detective Dick Gumshoe sings a parody of the song titled "No Motive, No Crime", much to the annoyance of the title character.
- In 2013, an a-cappella satirical video parody "No Woman, No Drive" about Saudi Arabia banning women from driving, went viral on YouTube with over 11,000,000 hits.
- "Entertainment | No Woman No Cry 'songwriter' dies". BBC News. 2009-01-01. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- "In pictures: The legacy of Bob Marley". BBC. Retrieved 2009-01-01.
- Humphries, Patrick (2003). "No Woman No Cry". BBC Radio 2. BBC. Retrieved 2009-01-01.
- "Bob Marley, 'No Woman, No Cry' | 500 Greatest Songs of All Time". Rolling Stone. 2011-04-07. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- "מצביעים מחדש למצעד עשור ה-70". Galgalatz (in Hebrew). Retrieved 17 August 2019.
- "Italian single certifications – Bob Marley & The Wailers – No Woman No Cry" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Retrieved August 29, 2014. Select "Tutti gli anni" in the "Anno" drop-down menu. Select "No Woman No Cry" in the "Filtra" field. Select "Singoli online" under "Sezione".
- "British single certifications – Bob Marley & The Wailers – No Woman No Cry". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved March 22, 2019. Select singles in the Format field. Select Gold in the Certification field. Type No Woman No Cry in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "Australian-charts.com – Fugees – No Woman, No Cry". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Fugees – No Woman, No Cry" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Fugees – No Woman, No Cry" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Fugees – No Woman, No Cry" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Fugees: No Woman, No Cry" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Fugees – No Woman, No Cry" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Fugees Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Fugees – No Woman, No Cry" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.nz – Fugees – No Woman, No Cry". Top 40 Singles.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Fugees – No Woman, No Cry". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Fugees – No Woman, No Cry". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company.
- "Graham Parker - No Woman, No Cry". YouTube. 2008-08-09. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- "Linkin Park- The Messenger (with 'No Woman No Cry')- Tel Aviv, Israel". YouTube. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- The Today Show, July 2007
- Nelson, Trevor. "Wizkid – Joy / No Woman No Cry (Bob Marley Cover) in the 1Xtra Live Lounge (Lagos, Nigeria)". BBC Radio 1Xtra. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- "Ziynet Sali'den Bob Marley Şarkısı!" (in Turkish). Kral Müzik. 6 February 2019. Archived from the original on 11 February 2019.
- "Joe Dassin - Si tu pense a moi". YouTube. 2009-05-31. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- "Joe Dassin - Si Tu Penses A Moi / Sorry (Vinyl)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- "Daniela Mercury". Daniela Mercury. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- "Hereford & Worcester". BBC News. 2016-10-05. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- "Murder 1 (2) - American Junkie (CD, Album)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- "No Woman, No Drive". YouTube. 2013-10-26. Retrieved 2016-10-09.