Nick Joseph Bruno (born June 4, 1951) has been since November 8, 2010, the president of the University of Louisiana at Monroe, known as ULM. He was appointed by the Baton Rouge-based University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors. Bruno is the eighth president of ULM. He succeeded James E. Cofer Sr., who had resigned to become president of Missouri State University. Bruno's selection was made official in an announcement by University of Louisiana System president Randy Moffett. Two other finalists considered by the board were Peter J. Fos and Thomas F. Moore. Bruno's official investiture was on 2011 October 2.
|Alma mater||University of Mississippi|
Southeastern Louisiana University
|Known for||University of Louisiana at Monroe president|
|Awards||Lifetime Achievement Award (National Association of College Auxiliary Services, Southern Region)|
|Institutions||University of Louisiana at Monroe|
University of Louisiana System
Southeastern Louisiana University
|Doctoral advisor||Ray Cleere|
|Influences||Bruce Charles Bennett|
W. L. "Buddie" Billups
G. Warren Smith
Bruno acceded to the presidency of ULM, formerly known as Northeast Louisiana University, after he had served for five years as Vice President for Business and Finance in the University of Louisiana System office in Baton Rouge. He was from 2002 to 2005 the ULM Associate Vice President for Business Affairs and then Vice President for Business Affairs. From 1978 to 2002, he was adjunct instructor of management at Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond and held a variety of administrative roles, including director of auxiliary services and assistant vice president for special initiatives.
Bruno received his baccalaureate degree in 1972 in accounting from Southeastern Louisiana University. He obtained his Ph.D. in 1994 from the University of Mississippi at Oxford in administration of higher education. He also received the Master of Business Administration in 1980 from the University of Mississippi. His doctoral dissertation is titled A Comparative Analysis of Comments from Faculty Members of Selected Public and Private Universities in Mississippi and Louisiana to Determine the Degree of Job Satisfaction as Related to the Variables of Institution, Gender, and Race. His major professor was Ray Cleere. Bruno is a 1968 graduate of Independence High School in his hometown of Independence, Louisiana. In a 2013 article Bruno commented on various attributes of his background including his upbringing as an Italian American, relatives, and positive associations with the Phil Robertson family and others in the Monroe area.
- He's very much a people person. . . . In his division (business affairs) there was a lot of camaraderie. He had this sense of purpose in his team. He takes great pride in getting things done.
Bruno cited looming state budget cuts among the challenges facing ULM. Bruno seeks "to involve as many parties as possible in decisions that impact the future of the campus and the community."
Bruno had the support of Monroe's city administration and local and state officials who cited financial concerns in urging his appointment as competition for the position was intense. Monroe's NBC affiliate KTVE Channel 10 televised interviews with students after Bruno's appointment.
Previously Bruno and his younger brother Carlo Bruno were involved in the beef cattle business. Carlo Bruno continues in that operation. Nick Bruno is a member of Beta Alpha Psi and Knights of Columbus.
Nick Bruno is married to the former Linda Capra, an alumnus and former administrator at the University of Texas at Austin. The couple has two children—Victoria and Christina. Nick also has a son, Steven, from a previous marriage. Bruno is Roman Catholic.
- "Bruno named new ULM president". The Ouachita Citizen. Monroe, Louisiana. October 22, 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- "Bruno chosen to be ULM's New President". Hawkeye. University of Louisiana at Monroe. 2010-10-22. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- Benitez, Cindy (2010-10-22). "Bruno named UL-Monroe President Friday". Action News 17. Hammond, Louisiana. Retrieved 2010-10-23. The interim president between Cofer and Bruno was Stephen Richters.
- Tisdale, Jackie (2010-10-22). "Nick Bruno Named Eighth President of the University of Louisiana at Monroe". University of Louisiana System press release. Archived from the original on 2011-07-20. Retrieved 2010-10-22.
- Largen, Stephen (2010-10-14). "3 make cut to lead ULM". The News-Star. Monroe, Louisiana. Retrieved 2010-10-24.[permanent dead link] Fos was provost and executive vice president at the University of Texas at Tyler. Moore was the vice president for academic affairs and dean of the faculty at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, South Carolina. These names also appeared in "University board chooses its [sic, ULM's] new president". New Orleans Times-Picayune. 2010-10-24. p. A6. Retrieved 2010-10-24. Originally there were four semifinalists—including J. William Berry, provost of the University of Dallas—with a plan to reduce the four to two finalists. "ULM presidency semifinalists picked". Advocate. Baton Rouge, Louisiana. 2010-10-06. p. 8A. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- Presidential investiture of Nick J. Bruno. Monroe, Louisiana: University of Louisiana at Monroe. 2011. Missing or empty
|title=(help) For summary of the investiture program, click here.
- Auxiliary services are the businesses operated within a university, such as retail outlets. See, e.g., Southeastern's Auxiliary Services site (accessed 2010-10-23). The special initiatives included continuing education and international programs.
- Curriculum vitae of Nick Bruno (accessed 2010-10-23).
- Joiner, Loretta (2013-09-22). "Tangipahoa's Nick Bruno makes transition to Monroe". Sunday Star. Hammond, Louisiana. pp. 1C, 8C.[permanent dead link]
- Largen, Stephen; Hilburn, Greg (2010-10-24). "Bruno ready to unite ULM: New president accepts 'free expression'". News Star. Monroe, Louisiana. Archived from the original on 2010-10-27. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- See similar statements on the Louisiana budget cuts by Southeastern Louisiana University president John Crain.
- Largen, Stephen (2010-10-11). "Meet the candidates: Nick Bruno". The News-Star. Monroe, Louisiana. Archived from the original on 2012-03-29. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- Hilburn, Greg (2010-10-22). "Time to rally around Bruno, most at meeting say". Town Talk. Alexandria, Louisiana. Retrieved 2010-10-24.[permanent dead link]
- Bruno also had the support of then Mayors Dave Norris of West Monroe, Vern Breland of Sterlington, and Betty Olive-Alford of Bastrop. "Controversial letter involved in ULM presidential search [with video]". KNOE-TV Channel 8 (CBS). Monroe, Louisiana. 2010-10-20. Archived from the original on 2012-03-14. Retrieved 2010-10-26. Cf. Abbott, Walter (2010-10-22). "Bruno Selected ULM President by 13-0-1 Vote". Lincoln Parish News. Jonesboro, Louisiana. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- "Nick Bruno: Next President of ULM". KTVE Channel 10. Monroe, Louisiana. 2010-10-22. Archived from the original on 2011-07-14. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- Eddington, Sarah (2012-05-31). "Bruno's mother dies at age 87". The News-Star. Monroe, Louisiana. Archived from the original on 2013-09-27. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
James E. Cofer Sr.
| President of the
University of Louisiana at Monroe