Mohombi Nzasi Moupondo (born 28 August 1986) is a Swedish-Congolese Singer-Dancer, Producer-Author and Composer. He grew up in Kista near Stockholm. Mohombi was RedOne's first signing to 2101 Records in joint venture with Universal Music Group. From 2000 to 2008, Mohombi was part of the Swedish hip hop group Avalon with his brother Djo Moupondo. Mohombi released his debut solo single "Bumpy Ride" in August 2010. The single became a worldwide hit, and charted in the top-ten in several countries, and was followed by his debut studio album, MoveMeant in February 2011.
Mohombi in Stockholm in 2002
|Birth name||Mohombi Nzasi Moupondo|
28 August 1986 |
Kinshasa, Zaire (Democratic Republic of the Congo)
|Genres||Pop African Music RnB Dancehall Urban Pop Dance Pop Afropop|
Mohombi was born to a Swedish mother and a Congolese father. He has 14 siblings. Mohombi and his family left the war-torn Congo and emigrated to Stockholm, Sweden, in 1999 when Mohombi was 13. When he turned 20 years old, Mohombi rented a room in Radio 1 UAE's Simon B's childhood house just to get to know him better. His parents regularly exposed him to varied musical influences from early on in his childhood Mohombi studied at Rytmus Music High School in Stockholm and first appeared on stage in 2002 in the Swedish revival of Wild Side Story, an adaptation of West Side Story. He graduated with a bachelor's degree in music from the Royal College of Music, Stockholm. He speaks Swahili, Swedish, French, English, Spanish and Lingala.
In duo AvalonEdit
In Stockholm Mohombi and his brother Djo Moupondo, a local club DJ known as DJ Djo formed the group Avalon combining the dancehall and hip hop of the time with the distinctive African beats on which they were raised. From 2004 to 2008 the group sold over half a million records and won the All African Kora Awards, an African equivalent of the Grammy for the category Best Group – Diaspora Europe/Caribbean category,while Mohombi became a prolific songwriter in his own right. At this point music was only a part-time job, and looking for something more Mohombi headed to. Avalon Group launched the album studio Afro-Viking mainly on the African market on 21 December 2007. Avalon Group has collaborated with artists / songwriters such as Bob Sinclar, Million Stylez,Mohaamed Lamine, Silver Room, Alexander Papadimas and many others. L.A..
Mohombi collaborated with Swedish rapper Lazee on "Do It", which was released in Sweden on 31 May 2010. It debuted at number nine on the Swedish Singles Chart. In Los Angeles Mohombi was introduced through friends to producer RedOne, whose own background is Swedish-Moroccan. The singer's debut single, "Bumpy Ride" is the first release on RedOne's label 2101 Records, a joint venture with Universal. It was released in the United States on 24 August 2010. Mohombi released "Miss Me" as his debut single in the United Kingdom on 31 October 2010. It features American rapper Nelly. His third single called "Dirty Situation" was released in Europe on 11 November and features R&B singer Akon. "Dirty Situation" is played at the beginning and then again later on in the middle of the music video for "Miss Me". Mohombi's debut album, MoveMeant was released in Europe Monday 28 February 2011 and in the US by the end of 2011. Mohombi features on track "Hula hoop" of the 2011 release of Stella Mwangi album "Kinanda". Mohombi's single, "Coconut Tree" features Nicole Scherzinger. In 2011, he made his first annual appearance at the MAD Video Music Awards, in Athens, Greece, he was in duet with Katerína Stikoúdi, singing "Coconut Tree (Coconut Tree" Make Me Stay ").
On 2 September 2011 Mohombi released another single called "Maraca" on iTunes in Sweden. Mohombi also recorded the song "Suave (Kiss Me)" with Nayer & Pitbull. He was nominated for Best Swedish Act at the 2011 European Music Awards in Belfast. This Must Be Pop listed him 7th in their Top 10 of 2012. On 16 December 2011, he appeared as musical guest on The Voice of Romania.
In 2014, Mohombi decided to abandon Universal Music and firm with its own music, La Clique Music, and read the album Universe (Mohombi album), on which it was published. In 2015 Mohombi participates with Pitbull on Baddest Girl In Town with wisin. In 2016 Mohombi participates with Joey Montana on Picky Picky(remix) with akon. In 2016 Mohombi is the Winners of Grammy Award for his participation on album "DALE", Of Pitbull (rapper). In the category: Best album of the year.
Awards and nominationsEdit
- Big Apple Music Awards 2017 - Best African Act Awards.
- Billboard Awards 2016 - Mohombi wins a Billboard Awards for his participation on Pitbull's album DALE.
- U.S Grammy Award 2016 - Best Latin Album. Mohombi wins a grammy for his participation on Pitbull's album DALE.
- Latin Italian Music Awards 2015 - Mohombi wins a Latin Italian Music Awards for his participation on Pitbull's album DALE.
- MTV European Music Awards 2011 - NOMINATION: Best Singer Swedish of the year.
- 2010 : She Owns The Night - Far East Movement.
- 2010 : Like a G6 (RedOne Remix) - Far East Movement, Dev & The Cataracs
- 2010 : Do It - Lazee
- 2010 : Hold Yuh (Remix) - Gyptian & Nicki Minaj
- 2010 : Sanford & Son - Quincy Jones
- 2011 : Hula Hoop - Stella Mwangi
- 2011 : Sexy - Featuring Les Jumo
- 2011 : Suavemente - Pitbull & Nayer.
- 2012 : Addicted - DJ Assad, Craig David & Greg Parys.
- 2012 : Love 2 Party - Featuring, Celia.
- 2012 : Crazy 4 U - Karl Wolf.
- 2012 : Sun in California Feat. Pitbull.
- 2013 : werrason - i found a way
- 2014 : Movin. Featuring, Birdman, KMC, Caskey
- 2014 : Habibi (I Need Your Love). Featuring, Shaggy, Faydee, Costi
- 2015 : Hasta Que Salga El Sol. Featuring, Dj Chino Farruko.
- 2015 : Baddest Girl In Town. Featuring Pitbull, Wisin
- 2015 : Te Quiero Mas. Featuring, Shaggy, Don Omar, Faydee, Costi, Farruko.
- 2015 : Picky(remix). Featuring, Joey Montana, Akon.
- 2016: Balans. Featuring Alexandra Stan.
- 2016 : Le temps passe. Featuring DJ Assad, Dalvin.
- 2016:"Let Me Love You". Feat DJ Rebel, Shaggy.
- 2016: "Bottoms Up". Feat Alexandra Joner.
- 2016: "Animals (Like An Animal)", feat. Lin C, Joey Montana.
- 2017: "Kiss Kiss". Feat Ardian Pujubi, DJ R'AN, Big Ali.
- 2017 : Rockonolo(Remix) Feat Diamond Platnumz, Lumino, Franko.
- 2017: "Se Fue". Featuring Arash.
- 2018 : Another Round. Featuring, Nicola Fasano & Alex Guesta, Pitbull.
- "title of version: BUMPY RIDE". GEMA. Archived from the original on 19 July 2011. Retrieved 31 January 2011.
- "Lady Gaga – Redone Launches Label – Contactmusic News". Contactmusic.com. 9 August 2010. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- "Mohombi Readies Debut Album "Movemeant" for RedOne's 2101 Records ~ BrooklynRocks: NYC Music Blog". brooklynrocks.blogspot.com.
- "106 KMEL – HIP HOP AND R&B". Kmel.com. Archived from the original on 24 May 2012. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- "Media" Archived 18 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine.. iHeartRadio.
- SE. "Group Avalon – Award Winners! | Gratis muziek, tourneedata, foto's, video's". Myspace.com. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- kathi says: (26 August 2010). "Mohombi's 'Bumpy Ride' | Hollywood Dame". Hollywooddame.com. Archived from the original on 8 February 2013. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- "Mohombi". Pop Generation. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- US. "2101 RECORDS/REDONE | Gratis muziek, tourneedata, foto's, video's". Myspace.com. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- "Miss Me feat Nelly available to download 31st October!". Mohombi.co.uk. 29 September 2010. Retrieved 7 October 2010.
- http://www.mohombi.com/news.php?item=182[permanent dead link]
- "iTunes – Musik – Maraca – Single av Mohombi". iTunes.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 4 January 2013. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- This Must Be Pop: The Next Big Thing: My Top 10 of 2012. thismustbepop.com. 1 January 2012
- "Vezi cum a ridicat Mohombi in picioare publicul de la Vocea Romaniei cu melodia "Coconut Tree"!" (in Romanian). Pro TV. 17 December 2011.
- "Mohombi | Gratis muziek, tourneedata, foto's, video's". Myspace.com. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
-  Archived 11 December 2010 at the Wayback Machine.