Mistral Air is an Italian cargo and former passenger airline headquartered in Rome and is a subsidiary of Poste italiane. It maintains bases at Leonardo da Vinci-Fiumicino Airport and Bologna Guglielmo Marconi Airport and used to serve domestic scheduled and international charter passenger services which it ceased in mid 2018 while focusing on cargo operations since then.
|Parent company||Poste italiane|
|Key people||Bud Spencer, Founder|
Mistral Air was established in 1981 by actor and former swimmer Bud Spencer and started operations in 1984.
It was wholly owned by TNT N.V. until March 2002 when TNT sold a 75% stake to Poste Italiane. The airline has also been contracted by the Holy See of the Vatican to fly Pilgrims to holy sites such as Lourdes, Fátima, Santiago de Compostela, Medjugorje across Mostar, Palestine (Holy Land), Poland and Mexico. The first flight went from Rome to Lourdes on 27 August 2007 transporting the vicar of Rome, Cardinal Camillo Ruini.
In May 2018, owner Poste Italiane announced that Mistral Air will cease all scheduled and charter passenger flights to focus on cargo operations from now on. The airline has been loss-making for years and recently lost a PSO contract for Italian domestic services as well.
As of August 2018, Mistral Air no longer serves any scheduled routes. The remaining destinations served where Cagliari, Catania, Naples, Palermo, Perugia, Brescia and Pescara in Italy as well as Tirana in Albania which all ceased by August 2018. Currently, there are also no more wetlease agreements or charter destinations
Mistral air's international flight lands only in Tirana.
As of July 2018, the Mistral Air fleet consists of the following aircraft:
|ATR 72-500||5||—||68||68||He replaced the ATR 72-300F|
|Boeing 737-300QC||1||—||Cargo and Passenger|
The airline previously operated the following aircraft as of August 2016:
- "Airline and Airport Code Search". IATA. Retrieved 2016-06-28.
- "Elenco delle imprese titolari di licenza di trasporto aereo". Italian Civil Aviation Authority. 2016-06-03. Archived from the original on 2015-04-22. Retrieved 2017-06-13.
- "Mistral Air - Contatti". Retrieved 2016-06-28.
- "Directory: World Airlines". Flight International. 2007-04-10. p. 51.
- Willey, David (2007-08-27). "Vatican flight service launches". BBC News. Retrieved 2016-06-28.
- mistralair.it - Booking retrieved 24 July 2018
- mistralair.it - Fleet retrieved 24 July 2018
- "Global Airline Guide 2016 (Part One)". Airliner World (October 2016): 18.