Mistral Air is an Italian cargo and former passenger airline headquartered in Rome and is a subsidiary of Poste italiane. It maintains bases at Leonardo da Vinci-Fiumicino Airport and Bologna Guglielmo Marconi Airport and used to serve domestic scheduled and international charter passenger services which it ceased in mid 2018 while focusing on cargo operations since then.
|Parent company||Poste italiane|
|Key people||Bud Spencer, Founder|
Mistral Air was established in 1981 by actor and former swimmer Bud Spencer and started operations in 1984.
It was wholly owned by TNT N.V. until March 2002 when TNT sold a 75% stake to Poste Italiane. The airline has also been contracted by the Holy See of the Vatican to fly Pilgrims to holy sites such as Lourdes, Fátima, Santiago de Compostela, Medjugorje across Mostar, Palestine (Holy Land), Poland and Mexico. The first flight went from Rome to Lourdes on 27 August 2007 transporting the vicar of Rome, Cardinal Camillo Ruini.
In May 2018, owner Poste Italiane announced that Mistral Air will cease all scheduled and charter passenger flights to focus on cargo operations from now on. The airline has been loss-making for years and recently lost a PSO contract for Italian domestic services as well.
As of August 2018, Mistral Air no longer serves any scheduled routes. The remaining destinations served were Cagliari, Catania, Naples, Palermo, Perugia, Brescia and Pescara in Italy as well as Tirana in Albania which all ceased by August 2018. Currently, there are also no more wetlease agreements or charter destinations
Mistral air's international flight lands only in Tirana.
As of April 2019, the Mistral Air fleet consists of the following aircraft:
The airline previously operated the following aircraft as of August 2019:
- "Airline and Airport Code Search". IATA. Retrieved 28 June 2016.
- "Elenco delle imprese titolari di licenza di trasporto aereo". Italian Civil Aviation Authority. 3 June 2016. Archived from the original on 22 April 2015. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "Mistral Air - Contatti". Retrieved 28 June 2016.
- "Directory: World Airlines". Flight International. 10 April 2007. p. 51.
- Willey, David (27 August 2007). "Vatican flight service launches". BBC News. Retrieved 28 June 2016.
- "Il piano Mistral Air Charter addio, non resta che il cargo".
- "Mistral Air: Bud-Spencer-Airline fliegt nur noch Pakete". 3 June 2018.
- mistralair.it - Booking retrieved 24 July 2018
- mistralair.it - Fleet retrieved 24 July 2018
- "Global Airline Guide 2016 (Part One)". Airliner World (October 2016): 18.