Ministry of Health and Welfare (South Korea)
The Ministry of Health and Welfare (MOHW previously MW, Korean: 보건복지부) is a branch of the government of South Korea. The headquarters is in Sejong City. Previously the headquarters were on floors 6 through 12 of the Hyundai Building in Jongno District, Seoul, when they were the Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs.
|Formed||November 4, 1948 (as Ministry of Social Affairs)|
|Jurisdiction||Government of South Korea|
|Headquarters||13, Doum 4-ro, Sejong 339-012, Korea|
On December 23, 1994, the Ministry of Health and Social Affairs (보건사회부) changed their name to Ministry of Health and Welfare. On February 29, 2008, the ministry merged the National Youth Commission, Prime Minister's Office of Korea, the Family Affairs from Ministry of Gender Equality and Family and Centre on Measures for Bipolarization and Livelihood, Ministry of Planning and Budget to become the Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs (보건복지가족부).
However, on March 19, 2010, the Ministry was reorganized to become the Ministry of Health and Welfare while transferring their responsibilities of overseeing youth and family affairs to Ministry of Gender Equality and Family. However, the Ministry of Health and Welfare still governs Children's affairs.
The main tasks include health care and quarantine, compulsory administration, pharmacist administration, health insurance, basic living insurance, welfare support, social security and social service policies, and population policy to cope with low birth rate and aging child welfare.
- Minister and Vice Minister
- 4 Offices and 20 Bureaus
- Child Agencies
- National Hospitals
- National Center for Mental Health in Seoul
- National Rehabilitation Center in Seoul
- National Cemetery for Overseas Koreans in Cheonan
- Health Insurance Dispute Conciliation Commission in Seoul
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Cheongju
- Osong Biovalley Support Center in Cheongju
- Overseeing Public Institutions
- Research Institutes
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute (KHIDI) in Cheongju
- Korea Labor Force Development Institute for the Aged in Goyang
- Korea Human Resource Development Institute for Health and Welfare (KOHI) in Cheongju
- National Cancer Center (NCC) in Goyang
- Korea Health Personnel Licensing Examination Institute in Seoul
- Korea Disabled People's Development Institute (KODDI) in Seoul
- Korea Children Promotion Institute (KCPI) in Seoul
- Korea Health Promotion Institute in Seoul
- National Evidence-based Healthcare Collaborating Agency (NECA) in Seoul
- National Institute for Korean Medicine Development (NIKOM) in Gyeongsan
- Korea National Institute for Bioethics Policy (KONIBP) in Seoul
- Service Providers
- National Pension Service (NPS) in Jeonju
- National Health Insurance Service (NHIS) in Wonju
- Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service (HIRA) in Wonju
- Social Security Information Service (SSIS) in Seoul
- Korean Red Cross in Seoul
- National Medical Center (NMC) in Seoul
- Korea National Council on Social Welfare (Social Security Network; SSN) in Seoul
- Korea Medical Dispute Mediation and Arbitration Agency (K-Medi) in Seoul
- Korea Organ Donation Agency (KODA) in Seoul
- Korea Institute for Healthcare Accreditation (KOIHA) in Seoul
- Korea Public Tissue Bank (KPTB) in Seoul
- "Location." (Archive) Ministry of Health and Welfare. Retrieved on January 1, 2014. "13, Doum 4-ro, Sejong 339-012, Korea"
- "Location." () Ministry of Health and Welfare. Retrieved on January 1, 2014. "Ministry of Health & Welfare Hyundai Building 6~12 F" and "Ministry of Health & Welfare (MW) : 75 Yulgok-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul, Korea 110-793, call center 129"
- "History of Ministry of Health and Welfare Ministry of Health and Welfare" Archived 2014-01-09 at the Wayback Machine Ministry of Health and Welfare, 4 May 2015
- "History of Ministry of Health and Welfare Archived 2015-02-22 at the Wayback Machine Ministry of Health and Welfare"] Ministry of Health and Welfare, 4 May 2015
- "Ministry of Health & Welfare(MW)". doopedia.[dead link]
- "Organization of the Ministry".
- "소속기관" [Child Agencies] (in Korean).
- "산하공공기관" [Public Institutions] (in Korean).