Miles Alexander Teller (born February 20, 1987) is an American actor most recognized for his roles as jazz drummer Andrew Neiman in Whiplash and pilot Lt. Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw in Top Gun: Maverick.
Miles Alexander Teller
February 20, 1987
|Alma mater||New York University (BFA)|
Teller made his feature film debut in 2010 and gained recognition for his starring role in the 2013 coming-of-age film The Spectacular Now and the Divergent film trilogy (2014–2016), both opposite Shailene Woodley. His role in the 2014 Academy Award-winning drama Whiplash served as his breakthrough and earned him wide acclaim. Following Whiplash, he became a leading man, starring in multiple romantic comedies, the superhero film Fantastic Four (2015), and the 2016 biographical films War Dogs and Bleed for This, among others.
In 2022, Teller starred in the action film Top Gun: Maverick. The film was directed by Joseph Kosinski, whom Teller had previously collaborated with on the film Only the Brave (2017). The pair teamed up again for the Netflix film Spiderhead (2022). On television, he has starred in the Amazon crime drama Too Old to Die Young (2019) and the Paramount+ miniseries The Offer (2022) about The Godfather.
Teller was born in Downingtown, Pennsylvania, to parents Merry, a real estate agent, and Michael, a nuclear power plant engineer. He has two older sisters, Erin and Dana. His paternal grandfather was of Russian Jewish descent, and his ancestry also includes English and Irish forebears.
Teller spent his early years in Pennsylvania and Delaware before his family moved to Citrus County, Florida, at age twelve. Growing up, he was involved with acting, was president of his high school's drama club, and played alto saxophone, drums, piano, and guitar. He also played baseball competitively and had dreams of turning professional. He graduated from Lecanto High School in Lecanto, Florida.
Subsequently, he attended the New York University Tisch School of the Arts; there, he studied method acting at the Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute and screen acting with Stonestreet Studios. He earned a BFA in drama in 2009.
In 2007, Teller was a passenger in a car that lost control at 80 mph (130 km/h) and flipped eight times. He has multiple scars on his face from the crash.
Teller appeared in many short films between 2004 and 2010. After graduating from Tisch School of the Arts in 2009, he made his major film debut in Rabbit Hole (2010), after Nicole Kidman handpicked him for the role. Teller starred in the stage musical Footloose in high school, and later starred in the 2011 remake film of the same name. In 2013, he starred in 21 & Over and The Spectacular Now, opposite Shailene Woodley.
In Damien Chazelle's second film Whiplash (2014), Teller played a drummer who tries to impress his abusive jazz teacher (J. K. Simmons), which earned him nominations for the Gotham Independent Film Award for Best Actor, the Satellite Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture and the BAFTA Rising Star Award.
Teller received further recognition for playing Peter Hayes in Divergent (2014), and the film's sequels, Insurgent (2015) and Allegiant (2016). He has also played Mister Fantastic in the reboot film Fantastic Four (2015) and arms dealer David Packouz in War Dogs (2016). He trained for 5 months to get in shape for the role of biopic boxer Vinny Paz in film Bleed for This (2016).
In 2017, he starred in two biopic films, Only the Brave and Thank You for Your Service. In November 2020, it was announced that Teller will star in a political satire called The Fence. In September 2021, it was reported that filming on The Offer, the Paramount+ miniseries about the production of the film The Godfather in which Teller plays producer Albert S. Ruddy, was temporarily halted due to COVID concerns. The miniseries ran from April to June 2022. In November 2021, he appeared in Taylor Swift's music video "I Bet You Think About Me" directed by Blake Lively.
In 2022, he starred in Top Gun: Maverick. He was initially hesitant to accept the role, as he was wary of the potential success and attention he would receive from starring in a major film alongside Tom Cruise. He was convinced to accept it by Cruise himself, who persuaded him that he was perfect for the role. In May 2022, Miles Teller stated that he had been pitching a follow-up film centered around his character to the studio. The actor referred to his pitch as Top Gun: Rooster. By July of the same year, he stated that he has been having ongoing discussions regarding a sequel with Tom Cruise. In regard to the popularity and support, Teller said that the experience has "been awesome" and that "I've never really experienced something like this in my life."
Since 2013, he has been in a relationship with model Keleigh Sperry. They were engaged at the Molori Safari Lodge in the Madikwe Game Reserve, South Africa, on August 20, 2017, and were married on September 1, 2019, in Maui, Hawaii.
|Denotes works that have not yet been released|
|2012||Project X||Miles (College Jock)|
|2013||The Spectacular Now||Sutter Keely|
|21 & Over||Miller|
|That Awkward Moment||Daniel|
|Two Night Stand||Alec|
|2015||The Divergent Series: Insurgent||Peter Hayes|
|Fantastic Four||Reed Richards / Mister Fantastic|
|2016||The Divergent Series: Allegiant||Peter Hayes|
|Get a Job||Will Davis|||
|War Dogs||David Packouz|||
|Bleed for This||Vinny Pazienza|||
|2017||Only the Brave||Brendan "Donut" McDonough|||
|Thank You for Your Service||Adam Schumann|||
|2022||Top Gun: Maverick||Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw|||
|TBA||The Ark and the Aardvark||Gilbert (voice)||In production|
|2009||The Unusuals||James Boorland||1 episode|
|2019||Too Old to Die Young||Martin Jones||Miniseries; 10 episodes|
|2022||The Offer||Albert S. Ruddy||Miniseries; 10 episodes|
|2022||Saturday Night Live||Himself (host)||Episode: "Miles Teller/Kendrick Lamar"|
|2007||A Very Specific Recipe||Lee|
|2010||The Track Meet||Andrew|
|2021||"I Bet You Think About Me"||Groom||Taylor Swift featuring Chris Stapleton||Directed by Blake Lively|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2011||Chlotrudis Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Rabbit Hole||Nominated|
|2013||Sundance Film Festival||Special Jury Prize for Dramatic Acting (shared with Shailene Woodley)||The Spectacular Now||Won|
|Alliance of Women Film Journalists||Best Depiction of Nudity, Sexuality, or Seduction||Nominated|
|Indiana Film Journalists Association||Best Actor||Nominated|
|MTV Movie Awards||Best Kiss (shared with Shailene Woodley)||Nominated|
|Best Breakthrough Performance||Nominated|
|Napa Valley Film Festival||Rising Star Award (shared with Dianna Agron)||Himself||Won|
|2014||Chlotrudis Awards||Best Actor||The Spectacular Now||Nominated|
|CinEuphoria Awards||Best Supporting Actor - International Competition||Rabbit Hole||Nominated|
|Georgia Film Critics Association||Breakthrough Award||21 & Over
The Spectacular Now
|BAFTA||Rising Star Award||Whiplash||Nominated|
|Gotham Independent Film Awards||Best Actor||Nominated|
|MTV Movie Awards||Best Male Performance||Nominated|
|Best Musical Moment||Nominated|
|Satellite Awards||Best Actor||Nominated|
|Golden Schmoes Awards||Breakthrough Performance of the Year||Nominated|
|2015||CinemaCon Award||Ensemble Award (shared with Kate Mara, Michael B. Jordan, and Jamie Bell)||Fantastic Four||Won|
|Teen Choice Awards||Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Scene Stealer||The Divergent Series: Insurgent||Nominated|
|Chlotrudis Awards||Best Actor||Whiplash||Nominated|
|Gold Derby Awards||Breakthrough Performer||Nominated|
|2016||Golden Raspberry Awards||Worst Screen Combo (shared with Kate Mara, Michael B. Jordan, and Jamie Bell)||Fantastic Four||Nominated|
|Indiana Film Journalists Association||Best Actor||Bleed for This||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Scene Stealer||The Divergent Series: Allegiant||Nominated|
|2022||Hollywood Critics Association Midseason Film Award||Best Supporting Actor||Top Gun: Maverick||Nominated|
- Teller, Miles [@Miles_Teller] (February 20, 2014). "Happy bday to me..." (Tweet). Retrieved January 19, 2014 – via Twitter.
- "Miles Alexander Teller Voting Record". Find The Data. Florida Department of State. Archived from the original on November 10, 2013. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- "Top Gun: Maverick's Miles Teller On Inheriting Goose's Iconic Moustache – Exclusive Image". Empire. Retrieved January 24, 2022.
- "Rabbit Hole presskit" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on November 5, 2014. Retrieved April 23, 2012.
- Persall, Steve (November 11, 2014). "Snoopy? How rising star Miles Teller, a Lecanto High graduate, found acting (w/video)". Tampa Bay Times. Florida. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
Teller's father, Mike...; His household was musical 'controlled chaos' with Miles, sisters Erin and Dana, and mother Merry.
- Lewis, Tim (August 22, 2016). "Miles Teller: 'I felt extremely misrepresented'" – via www.theguardian.com.
- Greco, Patti (August 27, 2013). "Miles Teller on The Spectacular Now, Moonwalking, and the Divergent–Hunger Games Comparisons". Vulture.com (New York). Retrieved December 10, 2013.
...my two older sisters — Dana, who is like eighteen months older...
- "Miles Teller". Vogue Italia - L'Uomo Vogue. February 9, 2015. Retrieved May 8, 2018.
- Miller, Gerri. "Hollywood Now: That Awkward Moment, Labor Day, Somewhere Slow". InterfaithFamily. Archived from the original on February 9, 2014. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
Teller, who is Jewish on his father's (father's) side, and Christian on his mother's side...
- O'Hare, Brian (November 14, 2016). "Something to Believe In: Bleed For This' Ben Younger, Miles Teller and Aaron Eckhart Will Their Way to Greatness". MovieMaker. Archived from the original on December 12, 2016. Retrieved June 19, 2017.
So how did English/Irish/Russian-Jewish Teller from Lecanto, Florida...
- Whitty, Stephen (March 15, 2015). "Miles Teller on 'Insurgent', 'Whiplash' and his not-so-secret crush". NJ.com. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- Swanson, Carl. "Miles Teller on Awkward, Fame, and Efron". Vulture.com. New York. Archived from the original on February 22, 2017. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
Teller played baseball, saxophone, and drums—in a church youth-group band, briefly
- Weston, Hillary (October 7, 2014). "Miles Teller: Cinema's Next Great Bad Ass?". Blackbook. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- Connor, Katie L. (August 30, 2013). "Unexpected Crush Alert: Miles Teller". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved December 10, 2013.
I was Homecoming King but I was in all AP classes. I played alto saxophone in Jazz Band and drums in a rock band. I was the president of the Drama Club. I was in National Honor Society and Student Council for a little bit.
- "Mr Fantastic Miles Teller on baseball dreams and growth spurts". Belfast Telegraph. February 6, 2015. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- Morris, Alex (December 2, 2014). "How Miles Teller Drummed His Way to the Top". Vulture. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- Kaufman, Amy (October 8, 2014). "'Whiplash' director, stars march to a friendly beat — off-screen". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 22, 2015.
- "Stonestreet Studios Alumni". tisch.nyu.edu. Retrieved June 20, 2022.
- "Alumni List". tisch.nyu.edu. Retrieved June 20, 2022.
- Valiente, Alexa (August 19, 2016). "Miles Teller on How a Car Accident that Nearly Killed Him Changed His Life". ABC News.
- Yamato, Jen (November 8, 2010). Miles Teller on Rabbit Hole, Nicole Kidman and Cutting Footloose. Archived August 20, 2011, at the Wayback Machine Movieline
- Durbin, Jonathan (2011). Miles Teller. Interview
- Weinstein, Joshua L. (May 26, 2011). Miles Teller Joins Relativity's '21 and Over.' The Wrap
- Hynes, Eric; Jeremy Kinser; Nate von Zumwalt (January 26, 2013). "2013 Sundance Film Festival Awards Updates". Sundance Film Festival. Sundance Institute. Archived from the original on October 15, 2014. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- Gleiberman, Owen (January 17, 2014). "Sundance: 'Whiplash' is the movie that could make Miles Teller a star". Entertainment Weekly. CNN. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- Denham, Jess (January 7, 2015). "Baftas 2015: Jack O'Connell, Margot Robbie and Shailene Woodley among rising star nominees". The Independent. Archived from the original on May 14, 2022. Retrieved January 7, 2015.
- Williams-Shaw, H. "'Divergent' Sequels Get Release Dates; Director Neil Burger Not Returning". Screenrant. Retrieved June 7, 2015.
- Kroll, Justin (February 19, 2014). "'Fantastic Four' Cast Revealed". Variety. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "'What's the Deal?': Jeff Sneider on 'Fantastic Four' Casting, Fan Expectations (Video)". The Wrap. February 21, 2014.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (February 12, 2015). "'Whiplash' Star Miles Teller Joins Jonah Hill In 'Arms And The Dudes'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- "Aaron Eckhart, Miles Teller Board Vinnie Pazienza Boxing Biopic". Variety. February 3, 2014. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- "How Miles Teller Got in Boxing Shape for 'Bleed for This'". Men's Journal. Retrieved July 9, 2022.
- Wiseman, Andreas (November 11, 2020). "Miles Teller, Shailene Woodley & William Hurt To Star In Timely Political Satire 'The Fence' From Icelandic Director Grimur Hakonarson — AFM Hot Pic". Deadline. Retrieved January 24, 2022.
- Petski, Denise (January 11, 2022). "'The Offer': Making Of 'The Godfather' Series Gets Premiere Date On Paramount+". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 11, 2022.
- Kreps, Daniel (November 15, 2021). "Taylor Swift Goes Rogue at an Ex's Wedding in New 'I Bet You Think About Me' Music Video". Rolling Stone. Retrieved November 20, 2021.
- Rodrick, Stephen (December 21, 2020). "Miles Teller Is Ready for Takeoff". Men's Health. Retrieved July 26, 2022.
- Griffiths, Elliott (May 25, 2022). "Miles Teller Open To Top Gun: Maverick Sequel Involving His Character". Screen Rant. Retrieved July 8, 2022.
- Gawley, Paige (July 7, 2022). "Miles Teller Says He's Had 'Conversations' With Tom Cruise About Possible 'Top Gun 3' (Exclusive)". Entertainment Tonight. Retrieved July 8, 2022.
- White, Peter (September 20, 2022). "'SNL': Miles Teller, Brendan Gleeson & Megan Thee Stallion To Host Opening Three Episodes Of Season 48". Deadline. Retrieved September 20, 2022.
- "The Hollywood Reporter & Samsung With The Cinema Society Host A Screening Of A24's 'The Spectacular Now'". Getty Images. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- "Miles Teller Engaged to Longtime Girlfriend Keleigh Sperry". People. August 22, 2017. Retrieved August 22, 2017.
- "Just Married in Paradise: See the First Photos From Miles Teller and Keleigh Sperry's Elegant Wedding in Maui". Vogue. September 2, 2019.
- Ross, Martha (November 16, 2021). "Miles Teller finally says he's vaccinated after new Taylor Swift video and months of controversy". The Mercury News. Retrieved February 21, 2022.
- "The Q&A ... with Hollywood actor and loyal, long-time Phillies fan Miles Teller". Philly Voice. March 22, 2017. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- "Anna Kendrick and Miles Teller star in trailer for Get A Job". Empire. Retrieved July 9, 2022.
- "'Thank You for Your Service' and 'Only the Brave' Establish The Ethos Of A New Decade For Miles Teller". Decider. March 21, 2018. Retrieved July 9, 2022.
- "Why Miles Teller Hesitated To Accept His Role In Top Gun: Maverick". www.slashfilm.com. Retrieved July 9, 2022.
- Sarah (June 23, 2022). "Review: Spiderhead starring Miles Teller and Chris Hemsworth is very watchable but light on meaning". www.laineygossip.com. Retrieved July 9, 2022.
- Lodderhose, Diana (October 3, 2016). "Miles Teller Sails To 'The Ark and The Aardvark'". Deadline. Retrieved January 24, 2022.