Miles Alexander Teller (born February 20, 1987) is an American actor. Some of his films include The Spectacular Now, Whiplash, The Divergent Series, War Dogs, Bleed for This, and Thank You for Your Service.
|Born||February 20, 1987|
Teller was born in the Philadelphia suburb of Downingtown, Pennsylvania. His mother, Merry, is a real estate agent, and his father, Michael, is a nuclear power plant engineer. He has two older sisters, Erin and Dana. His paternal grandfather was of Russian Jewish descent, and his ancestry also includes English and Irish. He lived in Pennsylvania and Delaware before his family moved to Citrus County, Florida, when Teller was twelve. While attending Lecanto High School, he played the alto saxophone in a rock band, was a drummer for a church youth group band, and was president of the drama club. He also played piano and guitar, and was on the baseball team, hoping to turn professional. Teller worked as a server at a restaurant called Crackers. He earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree at New York University Tisch School of the Arts, and studied method acting at the Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute. In 2007, Teller was a passenger in a car that lost control at 80 mph (130 km/h) and flipped eight times. He has multiple scars on his face from the accident.
Teller appeared in many short films between 2004 and 2010. After graduating from Tisch School of the Arts in 2009, he made his major film debut in Rabbit Hole (2010), after Nicole Kidman handpicked him for the role. Teller starred in the stage musical Footloose in high school, and later starred in the 2011 remake film of the same name. In 2013, he starred in 21 & Over and The Spectacular Now, opposite Shailene Woodley. In Damien Chazelle's second film Whiplash (2014), Teller played a drummer who tries to impress his abusive jazz teacher (J. K. Simmons), which earned him nominations for the Gotham Independent Film Award for Best Actor, the Satellite Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture and the BAFTA Rising Star Award. Teller received further recognition for playing Peter Hayes in Divergent (2014), and the film's sequels, Insurgent (2015) and Allegiant (2016). He has also played Mister Fantastic in the reboot film Fantastic Four (2015), arms dealer David Packouz in War Dogs (2016), and Vinny Paz in the biopic boxer film Bleed for This (2016). In 2017, he starred in two biopic films, Only the Brave and Thank You for Your Service.
Teller is a fan of the Philadelphia Phillies, Philadelphia Flyers, and Philadelphia Eagles. Since 2013, he has been in a relationship with model Keleigh Sperry. They were engaged at the Molori Safari Lodge in the Madikwe Game Reserve, South Africa, on August 20, 2017, and got married on September 1, 2019, in Maui, Hawaii.
|2012||Project X||Miles (College Jock)|
|2013||The Spectacular Now||Sutter Keely|
|21 & Over||Miller|
|That Awkward Moment||Daniel|
|Two Night Stand||Alec|
|2015||The Divergent Series: Insurgent||Peter Hayes|
|Fantastic Four||Reed Richards / Mister Fantastic|
|2016||The Divergent Series: Allegiant||Peter Hayes|
|Get a Job||Will Davis|
|War Dogs||David Packouz|
|Bleed for This||Vinny Pazienza|
|2017||Only the Brave||Brendan "Donut" McDonough|
|Thank You for Your Service||Adam Schumann|
|2021||Escape from Spiderhead||Post-production|
|2022||Top Gun: Maverick||Bradley Bradshaw||Completed|
|TBA||The Ark and the Aardvark||Gilbert (voice)||In production|
|2009||The Unusuals||James Boorland||Episode: "Boorland Day"|
|2019||Too Old to Die Young||Martin Jones||10 episodes|
|TBA||The Offer||Al Ruddy||Upcoming miniseries|
|2007||A Very Specific Recipe||Lee|
|2010||The Track Meet||Andrew|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2013||Sundance Film Festival||Special Jury Prize for Dramatic Acting (shared with Shailene Woodley)||The Spectacular Now||Won|
|Alliance of Women Film Journalists||Best Depiction of Nudity, Sexuality, or Seduction||Nominated|
|Indiana Film Critics Association||Best Actor||Nominated|
|MTV Movie Awards||Best Kiss (shared with Shailene Woodley)||Nominated|
|Best Breakthrough Performance||Nominated|
|2014||BAFTA||Rising Star Award||Whiplash||Nominated|
|Gotham Independent Film Awards||Best Actor||Nominated|
|MTV Movie Awards||Best Male Performance||Nominated|
|Best Musical Moment||Nominated|
|Satellite Awards||Best Actor||Nominated|
|2015||CinemaCon Award||Ensemble Award (shared with Kate Mara, Michael B. Jordan, and Jamie Bell)||Fantastic Four||Won|
|Teen Choice Awards||Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Scene Stealer||The Divergent Series: Insurgent||Nominated|
|2016||Golden Raspberry Awards||Worst Screen Combo (shared with Kate Mara, Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Bell)||Fantastic Four||Nominated|
- Teller, Miles [@Miles_Teller] (February 20, 2014). "Happy bday to me..." (Tweet). Retrieved January 19, 2014 – via Twitter.
- "Miles Alexander Teller Voting Record". Find The Data. Florida Department of State. Archived from the original on November 10, 2013. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- Setoodeh, Ramin (January 23, 2014). "Miles Teller on his Breakout 'Whiplash' Role and Blushing for Nicole Kidman". Variety. Retrieved June 19, 2017.
- "Rabbit Hole presskit" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on November 5, 2014. Retrieved April 23, 2012.
- Persall, Steve (November 11, 2014). "Snoopy? How rising star Miles Teller, a Lecanto High graduate, found acting (w/video)". Tampa Bay Times. Florida. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
Teller's father, Mike...; His household was musical 'controlled chaos' with Miles, sisters Erin and Dana, and mother Merry.
- Lewis, Tim (August 22, 2016). "Miles Teller: 'I felt extremely misrepresented'" – via www.theguardian.com.
- Greco, Patti (August 27, 2013). "Miles Teller on The Spectacular Now, Moonwalking, and the Divergent–Hunger Games Comparisons". Vulture.com (New York). Retrieved December 10, 2013.
...my two older sisters — Dana, who is like eighteen months older...
- "Miles Teller". Vogue Italia - L'Uomo Vogue. February 9, 2015. Retrieved May 8, 2018.
- Miller, Gerri. "Hollywood Now: That Awkward Moment, Labor Day, Somewhere Slow". InterfaithFamily. Archived from the original on February 9, 2014. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
Teller, who is Jewish on his father's (father's) side, and Christian on his mother's side...
- O'Hare, Brian (November 14, 2016). "Something to Believe In: Bleed For This' Ben Younger, Miles Teller and Aaron Eckhart Will Their Way to Greatness". MovieMaker. Archived from the original on December 12, 2016. Retrieved June 19, 2017.
So how did English/Irish/Russian-Jewish Teller from Lecanto, Florida...
- Whitty, Stephen (March 15, 2015). "Miles Teller on 'Insurgent', 'Whiplash' and his not-so-secret crush". NJ.com. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- Swanson, Carl. "Miles Teller on Awkward, Fame, and Efron". Vulture.com (New York). Archived from the original on February 22, 2017. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
Teller played baseball, saxophone, and drums—in a church youth-group band, briefly
- Connor, Katie L. (August 30, 2013). "Unexpected Crush Alert: Miles Teller". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved December 10, 2013.
I was Homecoming King but I was in all AP classes. I played alto saxophone in Jazz Band and drums in a rock band. I was the president of the Drama Club. I was in National Honor Society and Student Council for a little bit.
- Weston, Hillary (October 7, 2014). "Miles Teller: Cinema's Next Great Bad Ass?". Blackbook. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- "Mr Fantastic Miles Teller on baseball dreams and growth spurts". Belfast Telegraph. February 6, 2015. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- Apatow, Maude (August 8, 2013). "Maude Apatow Gets the Scoop from Miles Teller on 'The Spectacular Now'". Teen Vogue. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- Morris, Alex (December 2, 2014). "How Miles Teller Drummed His Way to the Top". Vulture. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- Kaufman, Amy (October 8, 2014). "'Whiplash' director, stars march to a friendly beat — off-screen". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 22, 2015.
- Valiente, Alexa (August 19, 2016). "Miles Teller on How a Car Accident that Nearly Killed Him Changed His Life". ABC News.
- Yamato, Jen (November 8, 2010). Miles Teller on Rabbit Hole, Nicole Kidman and Cutting Footloose. Archived August 20, 2011, at the Wayback Machine Movieline
- Durbin, Jonathan (2011). Miles Teller. Interview
- Weinstein, Joshua L. (May 26, 2011). Miles Teller Joins Relativity's '21 and Over.' The Wrap
- Hynes, Eric; Jeremy Kinser; Nate von Zumwalt (January 26, 2013). "2013 Sundance Film Festival Awards Updates". Sundance Film Festival. Sundance Institute. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- Gleiberman, Owen (January 17, 2014). "Sundance: 'Whiplash' is the movie that could make Miles Teller a star". Entertainment Weekly. CNN. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- Denham, Jess (January 7, 2015). "Baftas 2015: Jack O'Connell, Margot Robbie and Shailene Woodley among rising star nominees". The Independent. Retrieved January 7, 2015.
- Williams-Shaw, H. "'Divergent' Sequels Get Release Dates; Director Neil Burger Not Returning". Screenrant. Retrieved June 7, 2015.
- Kroll, Justin (February 19, 2014). "'Fantastic Four' Cast Revealed". Variety. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "'What's the Deal?': Jeff Sneider on 'Fantastic Four' Casting, Fan Expectations (Video)". The Wrap. February 21, 2014.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (February 12, 2015). "'Whiplash' Star Miles Teller Joins Jonah Hill In 'Arms And The Dudes'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- "Aaron Eckhart, Miles Teller Board Vinnie Pazienza Boxing Biopic". Variety. February 3, 2014. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- "Miles Teller's Allegedly Unvaccinated Ass Shuts Down Production on Godfather Series". Vanity Fair. September 3, 2021. Retrieved September 13, 2021.
- "The Q&A ... with Hollywood actor and loyal, long-time Phillies fan Miles Teller". Philly Voice. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- "The Hollywood Reporter & Samsung With The Cinema Society Host A Screening Of A24's 'The Spectacular Now'". Getty Images. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- "Miles Teller Is Engaged to Longtime Girlfriend Keleigh Sperry". People. August 22, 2017. Retrieved August 22, 2017.
- "Just Married in Paradise: See the First Photos From Miles Teller and Keleigh Sperry's Elegant Wedding in Maui". Vogue. September 2, 2019.
Media related to Miles Teller at Wikimedia Commons