The Belfast Telegraph is a daily newspaper published in Belfast, Northern Ireland, by Independent News & Media. Despite its unionist tradition, today the paper has a significant readership both among Protestants and Catholics.
|Owner(s)||Independent News & Media|
|Founder(s)||William & George Baird|
|Political alignment||British Unionism|
|Headquarters||Belfast Telegraph House |
33 Clarendon Road
Belfast, Northern Ireland
|Sister newspapers||Sunday Life|
It was first published as the Belfast Evening Telegraph on 1 September 1870 by brothers William and George Baird. Its first edition cost half a penny and ran to four pages covering the Franco-Prussian War and local news.
The evening edition of the newspaper was originally called the "Sixth Late", and "Sixth Late Tele" was a familiar cry made by vendors in Belfast City Centre in the past.
The Belfast Telegraph was entirely broadsheet until 19 February 2005, when the Saturday morning edition was introduced and all Saturday editions were converted to compact. The weekday morning Compact Edition was launched on 22 March 2005.
In 2015, the Telegraph launched the magazine supplement Family Life.
The paper now publishes two editions daily, Belfast Telegraph final edition and the North West Telegraph which is distributed in Derry.
The Belfast Telegraph was named as Best UK Regional Newspaper of the Year 2012 by the Society of Editors Regional Press Awards.
- "The Belfast Telegraph". voxeurop.eu. Retrieved 2018-11-16.
- "Steve Dyson reviews the Belfast Telegraph, Irish News and News Letter". holdthefrontpage.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-11-16.
- "The Social Geography of Violence During the Belfast Troubles, 1920-22" (PDF). hummedia.manchester.ac.uk. Retrieved 2018-11-16.
- "Belfast Telegraph expands Saturday coverage". Belfast Telegraph. 9 February 2005. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "Ulster wakes up to new early Telegraph". Belfast Telegraph. 21 March 2005. Archived from the original on 22 July 2012. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "New Family Life Magazine Launches!". BelfastTelegraph.co.uk. April 17, 2015.
- Canning, Margaret (28 May 2012). "Belfast Telegraph is named best regional daily in the UK at prestigious awards ceremony". Belfast Telegraph. Archived from the original on 19 April 2013. Retrieved 11 November 2015.