|Owner(s)||Independent News & Media|
|Founder(s)||William & George Baird|
|Political alignment||British Unionism|
|Headquarters||Belfast Telegraph House
33 Clarendon Road
Belfast, Northern Ireland
|Sister newspapers||Sunday Life|
It was first published as the Belfast Evening Telegraph on 1 September 1870 by brothers William and George Baird. Its first edition cost half a penny and ran to four pages covering the Franco-Prussian war and local news.
The evening edition of the newspaper was originally called the "Sixth Late", and "Sixth Late Tele" was a familiar cry made by vendors in Belfast City Centre in the past.
The Belfast Telegraph was entirely broadsheet until 19 February 2005, when the Saturday morning edition was introduced and all Saturday editions were converted to compact. The weekday morning Compact Edition was launched on 22 March 2005.
In 2015, the Telegraph launched the magazine supplement Family Life.
The paper now publishes two editions daily, Belfast Telegraph final edition and the North West Telegraph which is distributed in Derry.
- Circulation was 109,571 for the period July to December 2002.
- Circulation was 68,024 for the period January to June 2009.
- Circulation was 49,228 for the period January to June 2013.
- Circulation was 41,912 for the period January to June 2016.
- Circulation was 40,042 for the period July to December 2016.
- Circulation was 39,394 for the period January to June 2017.
- Circulation was 36,403 for the period July to December 2017.
The Belfast Telegraph was named as Best UK Regional Newspaper of the Year 2012 by the Society of Editors Regional Press Awards.
- "Belfast Telegraph expands Saturday coverage". Belfast Telegraph. 9 February 2005. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "Ulster wakes up to new early Telegraph". Belfast Telegraph. 21 March 2005. Archived from the original on 22 July 2012. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "New Family Life Magazine Launches!". BelfastTelegraph.co.uk. April 17, 2015.
- Plunkett, John (27 August 2009). "Regional ABC August 2009". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- Lambourne, Helen (2013-08-22). "Sales fall for newspapers in Northern Ireland". HoldTheFrontPage. Retrieved 2016-12-23.
- Greenslade, Roy (2016-08-22). "Ireland's daily newspaper sales fall by a further 5%". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2016-12-23.
- Canning, Margaret (28 May 2012). "Belfast Telegraph is named best regional daily in the UK at prestigious awards ceremony". Belfast Telegraph. Archived from the original on 19 April 2013. Retrieved 11 November 2015.