Michel Christian Alain Aupetit (born 23 March 1951) is a French prelate of the Catholic Church. He has been Archbishop of Paris since his installation on 6 January 2018. He was previously the Bishop of Nanterre beginning in April 2014 and before that an Auxiliary Bishop of Paris. Before becoming a priest, he was a doctor for more than twenty years.
Dr. Michel Aupetit
Michel Aupetit in 2016
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Appointed||7 December 2017|
|Installed||6 January 2018|
|Other posts||Ordinary of French Faithful of Eastern Rites (2018-)|
|Ordination||24 June 1995|
by Jean-Marie Lustiger
|Consecration||19 April 2013|
by André Vingt-Trois
|Birth name||Michel Christian Alain Aupetit|
|Born||23 March 1951|
|Motto||Je suis venu pour que les hommes aient la vie pour qu'ils l'aient en abundance|
Born in Versailles (Yvelines) on 23 March 1951, Michel Aupetit grew up in Chaville et Viroflay in the western part of the Île de France. He pursued a career in medicine, with studies that included time at Hôpital Bichat and Hôpital Necker. He practiced general medicine in Colombes from 1979 to 1990. He taught medical ethics from 1997 to 2006 at the Centre hospitalier universitaire Henri-Mondor in Créteil. He earned a doctor of medicine degree (Buchat, 1978) and a university diploma in medical ethics from the faculty of medicine of Creteil (1994), as well as a theology degree.
He then studied for the priesthood at the seminary of Paris and was ordained a priest for the Archdiocese of Paris on 24 June 1995 at the age of 44. He served as vicar first of the Church of Saint-Louis-en-l'Île from 1995 to 1998, and then of Saint-Paul-Saint-Louis from 1998 to 2001. He was also chaplain of high schools and colleges of the Marais from 1995 to 2001. From 2001 to 2006, he was assigned to the parish of Église Notre-Dame-de-l'Arche-d'Alliance, and deacon in the Pasteur-Vaugirard deanery from 2004 to 2006.
From 2006 to 2013 he was vicar general of the Archdiocese of Paris.
- Construisons-nous une societe humaine ou inhumaine?, Dumoulin, 2016
- La mort, et après?: Un prêtre médecin témoigne et répond aux interrogations, Salvator, 2009
- L'homme, le sexe et Dieu: Pour une sexualité plus humaine, Salvator, 2011
- Qu'est ce que l'homme?, Francois-Xavier de Guibert, 2010
- L'embryon, quels enjeux?, Salvator, 2008
- Contraception: la réponse de l'Eglise, Pierre Téqui, 2000
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 02.02.2013" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 2 February 2013. Retrieved 2 February 2013.
Il Rev.do Mons. Michel Aupetit è nato il 23 marzo 1951 a Versailles...
- "L'intérêt d'un diocèse comme celui de Nanterre, c'est la mixité sociale" (in French). Le Parisien. 19 April 2014. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- "Biographie de Mgr Michel Aupetit" (in French). L'Église catholique à Paris. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- Senèze, Nicolas (4 April 2014). "Mgr Michel Aupetit nommé évêque de Nanterre, Mgr Pierre-Yves Michel à Valence" (in French). La Croix. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "Rinunce e Nomine, 04.04.2014" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 4 April 2014.
- "Michel Aupetit nommé évêque de Nanterre" (in French). Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "A former doctor becomes archbishop of Paris". La Stampa. 7 December 2017. Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- "Mgr Michel Aupetit devient officiellement l'archevêque de Paris". Valeurs actuelles (in French). 6 January 2018. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- Pigozzi, Caroline (26 December 2015). "Entretien avec l'évêque de Nanterre". Paris Match (in French). Retrieved 25 November 2017.