Michael Green (writer)
Michael Green is an American writer and producer. In addition to writing for television, Green has written several feature film screenplays, including Logan, Alien: Covenant, Blade Runner 2049 and Murder on the Orient Express, all in 2017. For Logan, which he co-wrote with James Mangold and Scott Frank, Green was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay.
Green at the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con
|Genres||Film, television, comic books|
Life and careerEdit
Green grew up in Mamaroneck, New York, the son of a real estate developer. His family is Jewish, and his mother is Israeli. He attended Stanford University. After graduating, Green came back to New York and hustled his way into a junior development job at HBO, where he spent his workday reading other writers' scripts.
Green’s first television writing credit was on Sex and the City. He was the creator and writer of the 2009 NBC series Kings, a drama based on the biblical story of King David but set in an alternate present. Other television credits also include Everwood, Smallville, Jack and Bobby and Heroes.
In 2007, Green, along with the rest of the Heroes writing staff, was nominated for an Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series and the WGA Award for New Series. Heroes won for Favorite New TV Drama at the 33rd annual People's Choice Awards.
Green's feature writing career began with Green Lantern in 2011. He wrote or co-wrote four films released in 2017: James Mangold's Logan, Ridley Scott's Alien: Covenant, Denis Villeneuve's Blade Runner 2049, and Kenneth Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express.
In November 2017, a Death on the Nile adaptation was reported to be in active development with Green returning as screenwriter. By February 2018, Branagh and Green were both confirmed to return as director and writer respectively, as well as a set release date of November 2019.
A contributor to DC Comics, Green is the author and co-author of several graphic novels, including Batman: Lovers and Madmen. He co-wrote Superman/Batman and the reboot of Supergirl, with Mike Johnson as well as the Blade Runner comic series Blade Runner 2019.
|1998||Sex and the City||Writer||1 episode|
|2001–02||Smallville||Writer, co-producer and producer||7 episodes|
|2004||Jack & Bobby||Consulting producer||21 episodes|
|2002–05||Everwood||Writer, producer, supervising producer, and co-executive producer||14 episodes|
|2006–07||Heroes||Writer and co-executive producer||33 episodes|
|2009||Kings||Creator, writer and executive-producer||12 episodes|
Based on the Old Testament story of King David
|2012||The River||Writer and executive producer||8 episodes|
|2017–present||American Gods||Developed by (with Bryan Fuller), writer and executive producer||8 episodes|
Based on the novel by Neil Gaiman
|2020||Y||Showrunner, writer and Executive producer|||
Feature films creditsEdit
|2011||Green Lantern||Screenplay (with Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim and Michael Goldenberg)||Martin Campbell|
|2017||Logan||Screenplay (with Scott Frank and James Mangold)||James Mangold|
|Alien: Covenant||Story (with Jack Paglen)||Ridley Scott|
|Blade Runner 2049||Screenplay (with Hampton Fancher)||Denis Villeneuve|
|Murder on the Orient Express||Screenplay||Kenneth Branagh|
|2020||Call of the Wild||Chris Sanders|
|Jungle Cruise||Screenplay (with Glenn Ficarra and John Requa)||Jaume Collet-Serra|
|Death on the Nile||Screenplay||Kenneth Branagh|
|2008||Batman: Lovers and Madmen||Writer|
|Superman/Batman: The Search for Kryptonite||Writer (with Mike Johnson)|
|2009||Superman/Batman: Finest Worlds||Writer (with Mike Johnson)|
|2019||Blade Runner 2019||Writer (with Mike Johnson)|
Awards and nominationsEdit
- Emmy Award: Outstanding Drama Series – Heroes (2007 nomination shared with Tim Kring, (executive producer), Dennis Hammer (executive producer), Allan Arkush(executive producer), Greg Beeman (co-executive producer), Jesse Alexander (co-executive producer), Jeph Loeb (co-executive producer), Bryan Fuller (co-executive producer), Natalie Chaidez (co-executive producer), James Chory (produced by), Adam Armus (supervising producer), and Nora Kay Foster
- Writers Guild of America Award: New Series – Heroes (2007)
- Academy Awards: Best Adapted Screenplay nomination shared with James Mangold and Scott Frank for Logan (2018).
- Hollywood Reporter: "Meet the Most Famous Hollywood Writer You've Never Heard Of" by Andy Lewis July 20, 2017
- "Meet the Most Famous Hollywood Writer You've Never Heard Of". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 30, 2017.
- Sullivan, Michael (August 31, 2009). "Fox Set To Reboot Fantastic Four". Collider.com. Retrieved March 16, 2018.
- "'Prometheus 2' Lands 'Green Lantern' Writer; May Feature Multiple Michael Fassbenders (Exclusive)". TheWrap. March 24, 2014. Retrieved September 30, 2017.
- "Hugh Jackman's 'Wolverine' Lands 'Blade Runner 2' Writer Michael Green (Exclusive)". TheWrap. April 24, 2015. Retrieved September 30, 2017.
- "Murder on the Orient Express Remake Gets Writer". Slashfilm. March 11, 2015. Retrieved September 30, 2017.
- Kit, Borys (November 20, 2017). "Murder On The Orient Express Sequel In The Works". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 7, 2017.
- McNary, Dave (February 13, 2018). "Fox Moves Back James Cameron's Alita: Battle Angel". Variety. Retrieved February 13, 2018.
- Surette, Tim (January 16, 2018). "FX Is "Pretty Optimistic" About Y: The Last Man Adaptation". TV Guide. Retrieved July 12, 2018.