Martin Campbell (born 24 October 1943) is a New Zealand TV and film director, best known for directing Bond movies GoldenEye (1995) and Casino Royale (2006). He also directed The Mask of Zorro (1998), The Legend of Zorro (2005), and Green Lantern (2011). Campbell recently directed his new movie The Foreigner starring Jackie Chan.
Campbell at CES 2012 – Panasonic James Bond film 50th Anniversary panel
24 October 1943 |
Hastings, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
|Occupation||Television and film director|
|Awards||British Academy Television Award Best Director
Edge of Darkness 1986
Campbell has two sons, Fabrice Campbell and Tomas Campbell, and a daughter, Elina Campbell.
Life and careerEdit
Born in Hastings, New Zealand, Campbell moved to London, where he began his career as a cameraman in the late 70's. He went on to direct two James Bond films, 1995's GoldenEye, starring Pierce Brosnan, and 2006's Casino Royale, starring Daniel Craig, and was the oldest director in the series' history, at the age of 62 (beating the previous record set by Lewis Gilbert, who directed Moonraker at the age of 59). He also directed the two recent Zorro films, The Mask of Zorro (1998) and The Legend of Zorro (2005), both starring Antonio Banderas and Catherine Zeta-Jones. Campbell also directed the 2011 film adaptation of the DC Comics superhero Green Lantern. Campbell recently directed The Foreigner (2017 film) starring Jackie Chan. 
On television Campbell directed the film Cast a Deadly Spell and had overseen some of the more action-oriented episodes from the TV series The Professionals (1977–1983); however, his best-known work is the 1985 BBC Television drama serial Edge of Darkness, for which he won the British Academy Television Award for Best Director in 1986. Campbell has also directed a movie remake of Edge of Darkness, starring Mel Gibson and Ray Winstone, and released in 2010. Campbell directed the first episode of the US TV series, Last Resort.
- The Sex Thief (1973)
- Three for All (1975)
- Eskimo Nell (1975)
- Intimate Games (1976, Uncredited)
- Criminal Law (1988)
- Defenseless (1991)
- No Escape (1994)
- GoldenEye (1995)
- The Mask of Zorro (1998)
- Vertical Limit (2000)
- Beyond Borders (2003)
- The Legend of Zorro (2005)
- Casino Royale (2006)
- Edge of Darkness (2010)
- Green Lantern (2011)
- The Foreigner (2017)
- Across the River and into the Trees (TBA)
- The Professionals (1978–1980; 5 episodes)
- Minder (1980; 2 episodes)
- Shoestring (1980; 1 episode)
- Reilly: The Ace of Spies (1983; 5 episodes)
- Charlie (1984 4-part miniseries)
- Edge of Darkness (1985; 6-part miniseries)
- Screen Two (1986; 1 episode "Frankie and Johnnie")
- Cast a Deadly Spell (1991)
- Homicide: Life On The Street (1993; 1 episode Three Men and Adena)
- 10-8: Officers on Duty (2003; 1 episode)
- Last Resort (2012; 1 episode)
- "Birds Remake Director Martin Campbell Flies the Coop". DreadCentral.
- J. O'Connor, John (September 10, 1991). "Review/Television; A Detective and Sci-Fi In Los Angeles Magic". The New York Times.