Maximillian Michael Brooks (born May 22, 1972) is an American actor and author. He is the son of comedy filmmaker Mel Brooks and actress Anne Bancroft. Much of Brooks's writing focuses on zombie stories. He is a lecturer at the Modern War Institute at West Point, New York.
Max Brooks at BookExpo in 2019
Maximillian Michael Brooks
May 22, 1972
|Alma mater||Pitzer College (B.A.)|
American University (1994)
Michelle Kholos (m. 2003)
Early life and educationEdit
Brooks is dyslexic and attended Crossroads School in Santa Monica, California. He studied at Pitzer College in Claremont, California, where he earned a bachelor's degree in history in 1994. He spent a semester at the University of the Virgin Islands. He also attended graduate school at American University in Washington, D.C.
His first book, The Zombie Survival Guide (2003), published by Three Rivers Press, describes in depth the origin and lives of zombies. The book was followed up by The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks (2009), a graphic novel depicting several of the events detailed in the first book's latter section.
In 2006, Brooks followed with World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, which deals with the war between the human race and zombies. Paramount Pictures acquired the movie rights, and Brad Pitt's production company, Plan B Entertainment, produced the film. In the October 2006 issue of Fangoria Magazine, Brooks stated that he would not be writing the screenplay for the motion picture, as he felt he was not an accomplished enough screenwriter to "do it right" (J. Michael Straczynski wrote the first version of the screenplay).
In 2011, he wrote the foreword for Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Zombies, a 300-page fiction book written by Matt Mogk.
In 2013, Avatar Press released The Extinction Parade, a comic book series based on Brooks' 2011 short story.
In 2014, Broadway Books published The Harlem Hellfighters, a graphic novel which portrays a fictionalized account of the entirely African American 369th Infantry Regiment's experiences in World War I, written by Brooks and illustrated by Caanan White. Sony Pictures has purchased the rights to create a film version of the novel, with Caleeb Pinkett and James Lassiter producing on behalf of Overbrook Entertainment.
In August 2019, Brooks new book was announced which is titled Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre. It is about the cryptid Bigfoot. It is set to be released on May 12, 2020.
Acting and voice-over workEdit
Brooks has a number of other creative credits. As an actor, he has been seen in Roseanne, To Be or Not to Be, Pacific Blue, and 7th Heaven. He also has a career voicing animation; his voice has been featured in the animated shows Batman Beyond, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, Justice League and All Dogs Go to Heaven: The Series. During the start of the 3rd season of Lost Tapes, he was cast as himself in the zombie episode, telling the audience about how zombies come to be. He also appeared on Spike TV series Deadliest Warrior, in which he represented the zombie team in the "Vampires vs Zombies" episode, as one of the Zombie experts along with Matt Mogk the Founder of the Zombie Research Society. He also appeared on the Discovery Channel's Sons of Guns in a zombie gun build off ("Civilian vs. Military").
|1983||To Be or Not to Be||Rifka's Son||Movie|
|1992||The Public Eye||Teen at Thompson Street||Movie|
|1992||Roseanne||Snarky Customer||Episode: "Terms of Estrangement: Part 1"|
|1997||Pacific Blue||Marty Rosen||Episode: "Avenging Angel"|
|1999||7th Heaven||Waiter||Episode: "It Happened One Night"|
|1999||Melrose Place||Messenger||Episode: "How Amanda Got Her Groove Back"|
|1999||The Wild Thornberrys||Lead Dog (voice)||Episode: "Polar Opposites"|
|2000||Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles||Lt. Bernstein (voice)||Episode: "Swarm"|
|2000||Godzilla: The Series||(voice)||Episode: "Underground Movement"|
|2000||Batman Beyond||Howard Groot / Drew (voice)||6 Episodes|
|2000||Buzz Lightyear of Star Command||Tech #2 / Ranger #2 / Punk-Goon #2 (voice)||2 Episodes|
|2001||Justice League||Howie||2 Episodes|
|2010||Satan Hates You||Reporter||Movie|
|2010||Lost Tapes||Himself||Episode: Zombies|
- Brodesser-Akner, Taffy (June 21, 2013). "Max Brooks Is Not Kidding About the Zombie Apocalypse". The New York Times. Retrieved April 30, 2014.
- "Max Brooks". Modern War Institute. April 7, 2016. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- Townsend, Allie (July 26, 2010). "Q&A: Zombie-Survival Expert Max Brooks". Time.
- "Mel Brooks Is Always Funny and Often Wise in This 1975 Playboy Interview". The Daily Beast Company LLC. Retrieved July 4, 2015.
- "The cinematic Zionism of Mel Brooks". The Jerusalem Post. August 12, 2012. Retrieved January 31, 2017.
- Glader, Sue. "Max Brooks, Author * The Yale Center for Dyslexia & Creativity". Retrieved March 29, 2016.
- Fangoria Magazine (Oct. 2006).
- "'Raise the Dead' Series Collected in Hardcover with Forward by Max Brooks". Comic Book Resources. August 10, 2007.
- Manning, Shaun (April 1, 2010). "Brooks Wins 'Hearts and Minds'". Comic Book Resources.
- Horror Novel Reviews Max Brooks ‘Closure, Limited and Other Zombie Tales’ Review Retrieved August 14, 2015
- Lo Wang, Hansi (April 1, 2014). "The Harlem Hellfighters: Fighting Racism In The Trenches Of WWI". NPR. Retrieved April 12, 2014.
- Ford, Rebecca (March 7, 2014). "Sony Nabs Max Brooks' WWI Graphic Novel 'The Harlem Hellfighters'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 12, 2014.
- "The Great Wall". Retrieved December 4, 2017.
- "Max Brooks is writing a Minecraft novel! Oh yes!". mojang.com. Retrieved February 27, 2017.
- Squires, John (August 29, 2019). "'World War Z' Writer Max Brooks Returning With Sasquatch Massacre Novel 'Devolution'". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved September 19, 2019.
- "Deadliest Warrior Comic-Con 2011 Panel – Episode 300a"[permanent dead link]. Spike. July 22, 2011
- Brodesser-Akner, Taffy (June 21, 2013). "Max Brooks Is Not Kidding About the Zombie Apocalypse". The New York Times. pp. 2–3. Retrieved April 30, 2014.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Max Brooks|