Mavelikara is a taluk and municipality in the Alappuzha district of the Indian state of Kerala. Located in the southern part of the district on the banks of the Achankovil River. The name Mavelikara is believed to be turned out from the words Maveli or Mahabali, the mythical king of Kerala, and Kara means land. This land is believed to be the place where king Mahabali knelt before Vamana, offering his head for Vamana to keep his feet. The town boasts about a rich historical and cultural background. The Chettikulangara Devi Temple, known for the Kumbha Bharani festival is located near the municipality.The place is home to one of the 108 Shiva temples of Kerala created by Lord Parashurama, the Kandiyoor Mahadeva Temple. It was also a major centre of trade and commerce in ancient Kerala and the erstwhile capital of the rulers of Onattukara. As a result of the close association with the Travancore Royal Family, Mavelikkara gained modern facilities well ahead of other places in the state. It is one of the oldest municipalities of the state. Even before India attained independence, Mavelikara had a super express transport service to Trivandrum.
|• Body||Municipal Council|
|• MP||Kodikunnil Suresh|
|• MLA||R Rajesh|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Nearest cities||Harippad (9 km) Kayamkulam ( 9 km)|
According to the 2001 Indian census, Mavelikara town has a population of 28,440 with males constituting 47% of the population. The average literacy rate is 86.4%, much higher than the national average of 59.5%, with male literacy at 87% and female literacy at 85%. Approximately 10% of the population is under 6 years old.
Kerala State Road Transport Corporation has a sub depot at Mavelikkara (Station Code: MVKA) which is one among the 46 sub depots in the state. The KSRTC sub depot at Mavelikkara has an inter state bus service which is operated to Tenkasi every day; 2 trips morning & evening via Kayamkulam,Adoor.
Mavelikara railway station (Station Code:MVLK) is a mainline station in the Trivandrum Division of the Southern Railway Zone (India), with connections to New Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Pune, Mangalore, Bhopal, Guwahati, Nagpur and Jammu. Other nearby stations are Kayamkulam Junction railway station, Chengannur Railway Station, Haripad railway station and Kollam Junction railway station Tenkasi Tirunelveli punalur
Local industries in and around Mavelikkara include:
Several small-scale industries are present in the Industrial Estate (an initiative of SIDCO) located at Kollakadavu.
Mavelikara has its own constituency in the Lok Sabha. Until the 2002 Lok Sabha Delimitation took effect in 2008, the constituency consisted of Chengannur, Mavelikara, Kayamkulam, Pandalam, Thiruvalla and Kallupara. Since then, the assembly constituencies have comprised Changanassery, Kuttanad, Mavelikara (SC), Chengannur, Kunnathur (SC), Kottarakkara and Pathanapuram. The constituency is now reserved for a scheduled caste candidate..
The cultural capital of Alappuzha is Mavelikkara. Mavelikara was once part of the principality of Onattukara and has been a centre of religious harmony, culture and arts for several centuries.
As a testament to its link to that flourishing centre of Buddhist culture, Mavelikkara is one of the rare places in Kerala where one can find the Statue of Buddha in Seated Position, which dates back to the 9th century AD. .Mar Ivanios the pioneer of Reunion Movement is from this holy socio-cultural land. He is from the Medayil Panicker Family situated at the center of the Mavelikara Town.
- Raja Ravi Varma, artist
- Ravindra Varma, minister for Labour and Parliamentary Affairs in the Morarji Desai Ministry in India from 1977 to 1979
- R. Marthanda Varma, India's first neurosurgeon and developer of a surgical technique for treating Parkinson's disease
- P. G. N. Unnithan, the last Diwan (Prime Minister) of independent Travancore
- Madava Warrier (Late), Advocate
- C. M. Stephen, Leader of Congress and the INTUC
- Marthanda Varma Sankaran Valiathan, Indian cardiac surgeon and former president of the Indian National Science Academy
- Archbishop Aboon Geevarghese Mar Ivanios, founding father of the Syro–Malankara Catholic Church
- Geevarghese Mar Osthathios, senior metropolitan of Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church, theologian, orator and writer
- Abu Abraham, cartoonist and writer
- Yesudasan, cartoonist
- Mavelikkara Velukkutty Nair, Carnatic mridangam player
- Mavelikkara Prabhakara Varma, Carnatic singer
- Mavelikkara Krishnankutty Nair, Carnatic mridangam player
- Mavelikkara Ponnamma, actress
- Ramesh Chennithala, home minister, leader of the Opposition in the Kerala Legislative Assembly
- Mavelikkara S. R. Raju, Carnatic mridangam player
- Narendra Prasad, college professor, actor, author
- Divya Pillai, actress
- P. C. Alexander, principal Secretary to former Prime Ministers Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi
- Zacharias Mar Athanasios, 3rd Bishop of Tiruvalla - Cherian Polachirackal, originally from Mavelikkara
- T K Madhavan, Reformist leader of modern Kerala
- Venniyil Govinda Panicker, Freedom fighter(First arrested leader in Vaikom Satyagraha, One of the founders of Chennithala Mahatma High School).
- Rahul Alex Panicker, award-winning innovator, entrepreneur, scientist
- Vishnu S. Warrier, Author, Educational Reformer, Joint Secretary, Bharatiya Shikshan Mandal (Kerala)
Places of worshipEdit
- Ancient Durga Bhadra Devi Temple Ponnaramthottam
- Chettikulangara Devi Temple, founded in AD 823, is a Bhagawathy Temple. The major festival is Chettikulangara Kumbha Bharani.
- Kannamangalam south mahadevar temple......
- Ponnaramthottam Bhadra Durga Devi Temple near Power House and Court Mavelikara(Ponnaramthotam Patham udayam festival is famous)
- Mattom Mahadeva Temple,
- Sri Maruthakshi Devi temple, Mavelikara
- Thiruvairoor Sree Mahadevar Temple, Chunakkara, "Sarwam Swayambhoo Temple"
- Kandiyoor Sree Mahadeva Temple, also known as Dakshina Kashi
- Sree Krishna Swami Temple
- Malimel Bhagavathi Temple, Kurathikad
- St Mary's Orthodox Cathedral
- St Marys Malankara Catholic Cathedral Church
- C.S.I. Christ Church
- C.S.I. Ascension Church
- St Kuriakose Orthodox Church
- St Gregorios Orthodox Church
- St.Joseph Malankara Catholic Church, Puthiyakavu-Mother Parish of Late Archbishop Servant of God Geevarghese Mar Ivanios
- St.Marys Malankara Catholic Church(Bethany Pally), kallumala
- St. John's Orthodox Valiyapally, Pathichira - St. John the Baptist, Thattarambalam P.O., Mavelikara - 690103
- St. George Orthodox Church, Karipuzha - St. George, Thattarambalam P.O., Mavelikara - 690103
- Immanuel Church of God (Full Gospel), Erezha South, Chettikulangara.690106
- St. Andrew's Marthoma Church, Kaitha North, Chettikulangara. 690106
- Parimanam Marthoma Church, Parimanam
- Indian Pentecostal Church of God (IPC)Bethel, Vadakkethundam, Kannamangalam South, Karipuzha Road, Chettikulangara. 690106
- Cherukole Marthoma Church, Cherukole
- Cherukole Marthoma Church, Cherukole
- st mary's orthodox cathedral, mavelikara, puthiyakavu
- St.Peter's Marthoma Church, Chennithala
- Thazhakara Mar Thoma Church, Mavelikara.
Thazhakara Mar Thoma Church, Mavelikara
- Mannalill Bhagavati Temple. Arunoottimangalam mavelikara
- Ramanallor Vishnu Temple, Vettiyar Mavelikara
- Shree Parabhramodya Temple, Varenickal
- Bishop Moore College, Kallumala, Mavelikkara
- Raja Ravi Varma College of Fine Arts, Mavelikkara
- Cherupushpa Bethany Senior Secondary School, Chunakkara, Mavelikara
- Peet Memorial Training College, Mavelikkara
- St. Mary's Cathedral Public School, Kallumala, Mavelikkara
- Bishop Moore Vidyapith, Kallumala, Mavelikkara
- Infant Jesus ISC school, Mavelikkara
- Bishop Hodges Higher Secondary School, Mavelikkara
- CNPPM Vocational HS, Kattachira
- K.K.M. Govt. V.H.S.S, Elippakulam
- Mar Ivanios College of Arts and Science, Kallumala, Mavelikkara
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Chennithala
- Crossland Public School, Kunnam, Mavelikara
- Mattom St. John's Higher Secondary School, Thattarambalam P.O., Mavelikara - 690 103
- Mattom St. John's H.S.S. Nursery & Primary School, Thattarambalam P.O., Mavelikara - 690103
- St. John's ITI, Pathichira, Thattarambalam P.O., Mavelikara - 690 103
- SREE NARAYANA CENTRAL SCHOOL, Cherukunnam, Thekkekara P.O, 690107
- Vidhyadhiraja Vidyapeetom, Mavelikara
- MSS HS Mavelikkara
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- Kerala State Road Transport Corporation
- "Assembly Constituencies – Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies" (PDF). Kerala. Election Commission of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2009. Retrieved 20 October 2008.
- ""Monuments-peeping into the past" Information & Public Relations Department, Government of Kerala". Archived from the original on 4 June 2007. Retrieved 10 March 2007.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mavelikkara.|