Martin Marić (born 19 April 1984) is a Croatian track and field athlete who competes in the discus throw. He has a personal best of 67.92 m (222 ft 10 in), achieved in April 2014 in Chula Vista, California. He also has 72.31 m (237 ft 2 3⁄4 in) in the javelin throw, achieved in May 2006. Martin Marić was a throws coach at the University Of Virginia 2012 - 2015. Maric spent the springs of 2010 and 2011 as a volunteer assistant coach at the University of Florida.
|Born||April 19, 1984|
|Height||1.97 m (6 ft 5 1⁄2 in)|
|Weight||120 kg (265 lb)|
World Anti-Doping AgencyEdit
In August 2015, World Anti-Doping Agency published a "Prohibited Association list". Martin Marić is one of the 130 athletes prohibited from associating in Track and Field athletics. Martin's ban last through 2016.
Martin Marić represented Croatia at the 2013 World Championships in Athletics – Men's discus throw in Moscow, Russia. Martin placed 27th at 2011 World Championships in Athletics – Men's discus throw in 60.61 meters.
Martin Marić represented Croatia at the 2011 World Championships in Athletics – Men's discus throw in Daegu, South Korea. Martin placed 27th at 2011 World Championships in Athletics – Men's discus throw in 60.61 meters.
Martin Marić represented Croatia at the Athletics at the 2009 Summer Universiade also called 2009 World University Games. Martin placed 7th at Athletics at the 2009 Summer Universiade – Men's discus throw in 58.37 meters.
Martin Marić represented Croatia at the Athletics at the 2007 Summer Universiade – Men's discus throw. Martin placed 8th at Athletics at the 2007 Summer Universiade – Men's discus throw in 56.32 meters.
As a competitor for the University of Georgia, Martin Marić attain 2006 All-American status in the discus by placing 6th at the NCAA Men's Division I Outdoor Track and Field Championships. In the javelin, Maric registered a throw of 237–3 feet, which improves his own seventh-longest mark in Georgia Bulldogs and Lady Bulldogs history.
After transferring to the University of California, he attained All-American Status in the discus by placing 8th at the National Collegiate Athletic Association championships. In his senior campaign, Martin won the NCAA Division I national collegiate championships by throwing the discus 196-3, beating Ryan Whiting of Arizona State Sun Devils by only 2 cm (1 in) on his final throw.
Maric graduated from California with a bachelor's degree in Political Economy of Industrial Societies in 2009.
|2001||World Youth Championships||Debrecen, Hungary||13th||Discus throw (1.5 kg)||49.12 m|
|2003||European Junior Championships||Tampere, Finland||2nd||Discus throw (1.75 kg)||58.59 m|
|2005||Mediterranean Games||Almería, Spain||9th||Discus throw||53.35 m|
|European U23 Championships||Erfurt, Germany||13th (q)||Discus throw||52.34 m|
|2007||Universiade||Bangkok, Thailand||8th||Discus throw||56.32 m|
|15th (q)||Javelin throw||65.15 m|
|2008||Olympic Games||Beijing, China||29th (q)||Discus throw||59.25 m|
|2009||Mediterranean Games||Pescara, Italy||6th||Discus throw||60.60 m|
|Universiade||Belgrade, Serbia||7th||Discus throw||58.37 m|
|2010||European Championships||Barcelona, Spain||10th||Discus throw||62.53 m|
|2011||World Championships||Daegu, South Korea||27th (q)||Discus throw||60.61 m|
|2012||Olympic Games||London, United Kingdom||17th (q)||Discus throw||62.87 m|
|2013||Mediterranean Games||Mersin, Turkey||1st||Discus throw||61.46 m|
|World Championships||Moscow, Russia||15th (q)||Discus throw||61.98 m|
- Martin Marić at IAAF
- Two-time Olympian Martin Maric was named assistant track and field coach in September 2012. Maric works primarily as the Cavaliers’ throws coach.
- The Prohibited Association List includes the name, nationality and end date of the disqualifying status of Athlete Support Personnel who have committed anti-doping rule violations. All Athletes are prohibited from associating with any such Athlete Support Personnel pursuant to Article 2.10 of the Code.
- UVa assistant coach embroiled in controversy
- WADA objavila popis 114 imena osoba suspendiranih zbog dopinga, među njima i Martin Marić, ezadar.hr, 15 september 2015
- Athletes currently suspended from all competitions in athletics following an Anti-Doping Rule Violation as at: 13.05.15.
- Martin Marić dobio dvije godine suspenzije zbog dopinga, jutanji.hr, 1 October 2014]
- Martin Maric University of Georgia track and field profile
- 2014 Georgia Track & Field Media Guide page 60
- Olympic Hopeful Q&A with Martin Maric
- Martin Maric University of California track and field profile