Mark Chao (Chinese: 趙又廷; Wade–Giles: Chao Yu-t'ing, born 25 September 1984) is a Taiwanese-Canadian actor and model. He made his television debut in the television series Black & White (2009), for which he won the Golden Bell Award for Best Actor. Since then, he has starred in films Monga (2010), Caught in the Web (2012), So Young (2013), Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon (2013), Chronicles of the Ghostly Tribe (2015) and the television series Eternal Love (2017).
|Other names||Chao Yu-ting|
|Alma mater||University of Victoria|
|Parent(s)||Allen Chao (father)|
Chao is the son of actor and television host Allen Chao. He graduated from the University of Victoria in Canada, with a double degree in sociology and economics. He started his career in the Taiwanese entertainment industry after he graduated.
Mark Chao made his debut in the television drama Black & White (2009). His role as the rash, righteous and no-nonsense cop shot him to fame and won him the Best Actor award at the 44th Golden Bell Awards. He then starred in his first film, Monga (2010). The gangster flick, directed by Doze Niu grossed more than NT$250 million (HK$61 million) in Taiwan, making it one of the most successful domestic productions. Chao won the Best Newcomer award at the Asian Film Awards for his performance as a solitary, self-loathing and intense gang member.
Chao's successive films boosted his recognition in China. Love (2012), directed by Monga director Doze Niu, became the highest-grossing Taiwanese film in the Mainland. He also starred in First Time alongside Angelababy, and reprised his role as Wu Yingxiong in the prequel of Black and White. The same year, he starred in Caught in the Web directed by Chen Kaige. The film drew than six million viewers and praise from critics. Mark won the Best Actor award for the Hong Kong and Taiwan category at the Huabiao Awards.
Chao then starred in Zhao Wei's directorial debut So Young (2013), playing an ambitious and nerdy China university student. The same year, he played Di Renjie in Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon, the prequel to the popular Detective Dee film directed by Tsui Hark.
Chao once again reprised his role as Wu Yingxiong in Black & White: The Dawn of Justice (2014), the sequel to Black & White Episode I: The Dawn of Assault. He won the Best Actor award at the 16th Huading Awards for his performance.
Chao was then cast to play Hu Bayi in Chronicles of the Ghostly Tribe (2015), adapted from the best-selling tomb raid novel series Ghost Blows Out the Light. The film, directed by Lu Chuan, was a hit at the box office but received mixed reviews in regard to its faithfulness to the novel. The following year, he starred in the Chinese-French film The Warriors Gate, directed by Matthias Hoene and filmed in English.
Chao made his return to television after 8 years in fantasy romance drama Eternal Love (2017). Though Chao's casting as the beautiful male lead was originally met with criticism, he eventually won praise for his acting. After the series aired, Mark experienced an explosive rise in popularity and increased film offers. Chao ranked 36th on Forbes China Celebrity 100 list in 2017.
In 2018, Chao starred in the romance film Till the End of the World, which was shot in Antarctica. He is also set to reprise his role in Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings. The same year, Chao was cast in Lou Ye's period drama film Saturday Fiction.
|Year||English title||Chinese title||Role||Notes|
|First Time||第一次||Gong Ning / Lu Xia|
|Black & White Episode I: The Dawn of Assault||痞子英雄首部曲:全面開戰||Wu Yingxiong|
|Caught in the Web||搜索||Yang Shoucheng|
|I Love You to Love Me||爱在一起|
|2013||So Young||致我們終將逝去的青春||Cheng Xiaozheng|
|Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon||狄仁傑之神都龍王||Di Renjie|
|2014||Black & White: The Dawn of Justice||痞子英雄之黎明升起||Wu Yingxiong|
|2015||Chronicles of the Ghostly Tribe||九层妖塔||Hu Bayi|
|2016||The Warriors Gate||勇士之門||Warrior|
|2018||Till the End of the World||南极绝恋||Wu Fuchun|
|Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings||狄仁杰之四大天王||Di Renjie|
|2019||Saturday Fiction||蘭心大劇院||Tan Na|
|2020||The Yin-Yang Master: Dream of Eternity||晴雅集||Qing Ming|||
|Year||English title||Chinese title||Role||Notes|
|2009||Black & White||痞子英雄||Wu Yingxiong|
|2017||Eternal Love||三生三世十里桃花||Ye Hua / Mo Yuan / Zhao Ge|
|Midnight Diner||深夜食堂||Customer||Special appearance|
|2020||Ordinary Glory||平凡的荣耀||Wu Kezhi|
|2021||The Ideal City||理想之城||Xia Ming|||
|Year||English title||Chinese title||Album||Notes|
|2009||"Rogue Justice"||無賴正義||Black & White OST||with Color Band|
|"Ruffian and Hero"||痞子英雄||with Jason Zou|
|2010||"Tonight Tonight"||N/A||Monga OST||with Ethan Juan|
|2012||"Cry Like A Little Child"||哭得像小孩||First Time OST|
|"Stand By Me"||N/A|
|"Rock n Roll Man"||N/A|
|"Me and you"||N/A|
|"We Are Not Opponents"||我們不是對手|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2009||44th Golden Bell Awards||Best Actor||Black & White||Won|
|2010||16th Shanghai Television Festival||Best Actor||Nominated|
|12th Taipei Film Festival||Best Actor||Monga||Nominated|
|Best New Actor||Nominated|
|54th Asia-Pacific Film Festival||Best Actor||Nominated|
|5th Asian Film Awards||Best Newcomer||Won|
|2011||11th Chinese Film Media Awards||Best New Actor||Nominated|
|2013||15th Huabiao Awards||Outstanding Chinese Actor||Caught in the Web||Won|
|2014||5th China Film Director's Guild Awards||Best Actor||So Young||Nominated|
|8th Asian Film Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Nominated|
|2015||16th Huading Awards||Best Actor||Black & White: The Dawn of Justice||Won|
|15th Chinese Film Media Awards||Most Anticipated Actor||Nominated|
|7th China Image Film Festival||Best Actor||Chronicles of the Ghostly Tribe||Won|
|2017||23rd Shanghai Television Festival||Best Actor||Eternal Love||Nominated|
|2017 China Quality Television Drama Ceremony||Outstanding Star of the Year||Won|
- Loh Chuan Junn (April 9, 2010). "Mark Chao: A magnet for trouble?". MSN.com. Archived from the original on April 7, 2014.
- "Q&A: Mark Chao Yu-ting". South China Morning Post. April 10, 2010.
- "《艋舺》曝新海报 阮经天赵又廷演热血古惑仔". Mtime (in Chinese). December 16, 2009.
- "'Uncle Boonmee' Wins Best Film at Asian Film Awards". The Hollywood Reporter. March 21, 2011.
- "赵又廷阮经天彭于晏柯震东领衔台湾电影新天王". Mtime (in Chinese). December 26, 2011.
- "赵又廷加盟《Love》 钮承泽遭"排挤"因太寂寞". Tencent (in Chinese). September 27, 2011.
- "No Signs of Slowing Down: The Renaissance of Taiwanese Cinema". HIFF. Archived from the original on 2016-08-17. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- ""星二代"赵又廷成娱乐圈新宠". Netease (in Chinese). June 14, 2012. Archived from the original on September 25, 2018. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- "《痞子英雄》电影版开机 赵又廷陈意涵全变打星". Sina (in Chinese). December 30, 2010.
- "Mark Chao to dominate screens". Shenzhen Daily. June 8, 2012.
- "China, Framed by the Cinema and the Web". New York Times. September 14, 2012.
- "Chinese film honors its excellence". CCTV.com. December 27, 2013. Archived from the original on April 12, 2017. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- "《致青春》曝两男主剧照 赵又廷韩庚隔空飙戏". Mtime (in Chinese). March 8, 2013.
- "独家专访赵又廷：我必须要面对、抛弃偶像的包袱". Mtime (in Chinese). October 2, 2013.
- "Angelababy and Mark Chao make a Dee-lightful couple". The Star Online. September 29, 2013. Archived from the original on October 12, 2017. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- "赵又廷回归《痞子英雄2》". Mtime (in Chinese). August 21, 2013.
- "'Dearest' wins big at 16th Huading Awards". China.org.cn. June 2, 2015.
- "Tomb raid novel turned into blockbuster". China.org.cn. December 15, 2015.
- "Mark Chao promotes an Upcoming Chinese-French film". China Radio International. November 16, 2016.
- "专访赵又廷：演《三生三世》总感觉自己像仙女". Tencent (in Chinese). February 28, 2017.
- "赵又廷演"夜华"爆红 《三生三世》落幕感性发文". Zaobao (in Chinese). March 3, 2017.
- "Actress Fan Bingbing Tops New Forbes China Celebrity List". Forbes. September 22, 2017.
- "Romantic Movie Till the End of the World Shot in Antarctic". Beijing Tourism. December 10, 2015.
- "New Detective Dee film set to thrill mystery fans". China Daily. May 10, 2017.
- "First look: Lou Ye's period drama 'Saturday Fiction' (exclusive)". Screen Daily. February 16, 2018.
- "《平凡的荣耀》预告片曝光 赵又廷白敬亭还原真实职场". ifeng (in Chinese). June 11, 2018.
- ""National Godess [sic]" Gao Yuanyuan married to Taiwanese Actor Mark Zhao". Sina. June 6, 2016.
- "郭敬明"阴阳师"集结赵又廷邓伦王子文春夏". Mtime (in Chinese). December 27, 2019.
- "赵又廷助阵剧版《深夜食堂》看片会". Mtime (in Chinese). June 2, 2017.
- "《理想之城》上海开机 孙俪赵又廷上演职场生存记". Netease (in Chinese). August 20, 2020.
- "欧洲万像国际电影节颁发20奖项". China.com (in Chinese). December 23, 2015.
- "23届上海电视节入围名单公布 《欢乐颂》获八项提名". ifeng (in Chinese). May 24, 2017.