Mahim Bora (6 July 1924 – 5 August 2016) was an Indian writer and educationist from Assam. He was elected as a president of the Assam Sahitya Sabha held in 1989 at Doomdooma. He was awarded with most notably with the Padma Shri in 2011, the Sahitya Akademi Award in 2001 and the Assam Valley Literary Award in 1998. Assam Sahitya Sabha conferred its highest honorary title Sahityacharyya on him in 2007.
Mahim bora with legendary actor Shashi Kapoor at padma awards 2011.
6 July 1924|
Sonitpur district, Assam
|Died||5 August 2016
|Occupation||Writer, critic, poet|
|Education||M.A. in Assamese from Gauhati University|
|Notable works||Edhani mahir hanhi, Kathanibari ghat|
|Notable awards||Padma Shri|
|Spouse||Lt.Mrs.Dipti Rekha Bora|
Mahim bora ,Born on 6 July 1924 in Ghopesadharu, a tea estate in Sonitpur district .He spent his childhood in his home village Ramtamuli Chuk, Hatbar.
He did his primary schooling from Primary Hatbar L.P. School, Hatbar M.E. Kuwarital Combined M.V. School. He passed Matriculation from Kaliabar Govt, Aided High School and did Intermediate from Nowgong College, Nagaon (Assam) in 1946. He did B.A. from Cotton College, Guwahati (Assam) and M.A. in Assamese literature from Guwahati University,Guwahati.
After taking his M.A degree he first joined service as a teacher at Kaliabar H.E.School, Nagaon & Kamrup Academy, Guwahati.He was assistant editor of Rangghar Children Magazine (now defunct) and also worked as conductor of Gaonlia Raijole in All India Radio, Guwahati.He later joined as an Assamese lecturer in J.B.College, Jorhat (Assam), and lastly he shifted to Nowgong College, Nagaon permanently and retired as Head of the Assamese Department. He was also the founder lecturer of A.D.P college and Girl's college Nagaon.
i) One of the founder teacher of Kaliabar Girls H.E School, Hatbar, Nagaon 1944.
(ii) The founder associate, Kanak Lata Library (now defunct).
(iii) The founder member of ‘Arun Sewa Samity’.
iv) Founder Member, Natya Sangha.
He was also the Chief editor of literary magazine "Arunachal".
He was also a member of Advisory board for Assamese Sahitya Akademi.
He was President of Nowgong District Sahitya Sabha, Assam Sahitya Sabha:Kavi Sanmilan (1978) and Assam Sahitya Sabha (1989–90).
He married Dipti Rekha Hazarika of Jamuguri on 1 May 1957,(she was former Principal of Nagaon Gov't Girls School).He was father of 2 Son.His wife died on 20 Jan of 1999.His younger son Lt.Dr.Abhijit Bora died on 2005.He spend his retired life with his elder son,2 daughter in law, his 3 loving grand children's and sharing his knowledge with his fellow Nagaon citizen's in his Nagaon Home (Tejimola).
Bora's chief anthology of poems was Rangajiya(The Red Dragon-fly, 1978). In his short stories, he was an observer of folk and rural situations. He was a regular contributor of short stories to various periodicals.
Short Story collection:
Kathanibari Ghat (1961), Deha Garaka Prem (1967), Moi Pipali Aru Puja (1967), Bahubhuji Tribhuj (1967) , Akhan Nadir Mrityu (1972), Rati Phula Phul (1977), Borjatri (1980), Mor Priya Galpa (1987) and Collection of Essays- Chinta Bichitra (1989), Sahitya Bichitra (1989),
Novels: Herua Digantar Maya (1972), Edhani Mahir Hanhi (2001), Banduli Phular Rang (2007) and Putala Ghar (1973)
Children literatures: Batris Putalar Sadhu (1976) and Tezimala Aru Cindarela (2007)
Translations: Raja Rammohan Ray
Edited Book:Sankardevar Nat (1989)
Poetry Collection: Ranga Jia (1978), Jonamanir hanhi; Radio Plays : Laru Gopalar Prem, Laru Gopalar Bibah, Laru Gopalar Ghar-Sansar, Padum Kunwari (1951), Nirmal Bhakat (1951), Pansha Sar, Garakhia Bhim (1951), Tinir Tini Gal,Tup,Mas aru Manuh,Batar Akosh Bagari Edited by T. Goswami, Memoir 'Pakhi Loga Din' edited by G.C. Das, Pabandha Bisitra Edited by G.C.Das.
- Padma Shri award in 2011 in the field of Literature and Education by the Government of India
- Sahitya Akademi Award (for Assamese) in 2001 for his novel Edhani Mahir Hahi.
- Assam Valley Literary Award (1998)
- Chhaganlal Jain award for his collection of stories Galpa Samagra in 1966 .
- Assam Publication Board literary award
for Rati PhuLa Phul in 1980.
- "Mahim Bora - Indian Review - Critiques and Writings from across India and the World over !: Literature". Indianreview.in. 2013-05-29. Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- "Axom Xahitya Xabha (The Literary Society of Assam) | Assam Portal". Assam.org. Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- "Press Information Bureau English Releases". Pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- (PDF) https://web.archive.org/web/20130203061840/http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/Padma%28E%292011.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-02-03. Retrieved 2013-06-10. Missing or empty
- TI Trade (2011-01-26). "The Assam Tribune Online". Assamtribune.com. Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- "Sahitya Academy Awards : Assamese Books & Authors". Indiapicks.com. Archived from the original on 17 May 2013. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- "Akademi Awards Information". Sahitya Akademi. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- "Literary Awards". enajori.com. 2011-05-05. Archived from the original on 2013-05-22. Retrieved 2013-06-10.