Madhubani is a town municipality and headquarter of Madhubani district. Madhubani is situated in the Indian state of Bihar. It comes under Darbhanga Division. It lies 26 km northeast of Darbhanga town and was part of the erstwhile 'Bettiah Raj'. The Madhuban Raj in Madhubani was created as a consequence. The word "Madhuban" means "forest of honey" from which Madhubani is derived, but sometimes it is also known as "madhu"+"vaani" meaning "sweet" "voice/language". Madhubani is the cultural heart of Mithilanchal, being the birthplace of many literary people and home to Madhubani Paintings and Rajnagar Palace Complex. It is said that Madhubani is the world's second city who adopted democracy. It is the core heart of Mithlanchal region and is known for its hospitality and culture. It is also known for its diverse food, culture and Maithali language.
Heart of Mithila
Clockwise from top: Madhubani City skyline from Madhubani Railway Station,Kali Mandir, Police Line mandir,Hanuman Mandir,School Student.
|Elevation||56 m (184 ft)|
|• Official||Maithili, Hindi, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-BR|
|Sex ratio||1000/942 ♂/♀|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Madhubani|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Madhubani, Bisfi|
- Madhubani occupies a total of 3501 km2.
- Main Rivers are Kamla, Kareh, Balan, Bhutahi Balan, Gehuan, Supen, Trishula, Jeevachh, Koshi and Adhwara Group.
- High Flood Level is 54.017 m.
- Whole District is under Earthquake Zone 5.
- Total Cropped Area - 218381 Hect.
- Barren /Uncultivable Land - 1456.5 Hect
- Land under Non-agricultural use - 51273.24 Hect
- Cultivable Barren Land - 333.32 Hect
- Permanent Pasture - 1372.71 Hect
- Miscellaneous Trees - 8835.90 Hect
- Cultivable Land - 232724 Hect
- Cropping Intensity - 134.23%
As of 2011[update] India census, Madhubani Town had a population of 166,285. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Madhubani Town has an average literacy rate of 71.06 %, just above the national average of 62.39 %: male literacy is 78.81 %, and female literacy is 53%. In Madhubani Town, 16% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Madhubani railway station (It is awarded by Indian Railway for 2nd most beautiful railway station in India.)lies on the East Central Railway. It is connected directly to all the major cities(Delhi, Kolkatta, Mumbai, Lucknow, Kanpur, Ludhiana, Amritsar, Ranchi, Patna, Surat, Varanasi, Prayagraj, Puri etc) of India.
- Janki Express
- aynagar - Puri Weekly Express
- Saryu Yamuna Express
- Shaheed Express
- Jaynagar - Samastipur Passenger
- Jaynagar - Rajendra Nagar Terminal
- Jaynagar - Anand Vihar Terminal Garib Rath Express
- Jaynagar - Kolkata Weekly Express
- Swatantrata Senani Express
- Ganga Sagar Express
- Jaynagar - Mumbai LTT Weekly Antyodaya Express
- Jaynagar - Ranchi Express
- Jaynagar - Howrah (Dhuliyan) Passenger
- Jaynagar - Samastipur DEMU
- Kamla Ganga InterCity Fast Passenger
The nearest airport Kavi Kokil Vidyapati Darbhanga Airport which is 30 km away from Madhubani Darbhanga Airport is a military air force base. The runway length is 9,000 feet. It is now upgraded for civil aviation and scheduled flights to Mumbai, Bengaluru and New Delhi will be started by SpiceJet.
but Rajbiraj Airport is the currently operational airport roughly 79 km away in Nepalese town Rajbiraj .
Shree Airlines operates daily flights between Rajbiraj and Kathmandu. People can also take their flights for the different cities of India from the Lok Nayak Jayprakash Narayan International Airport which is 181 km away from Madhubani and present in the capital city of Bihar Patna.
Laukaha is a nearby town close to the border of Nepalese town of Thadi. Laukaha in India and Thadi in Nepal are a part of one of the agreed route for Mutual Trade between India and Nepal and import and export to Nepal happen via Laukaha. Nepal Government of Nepal has set up a dedicated customs office in the town. and Government of India has set up a Land Customs Station with a Superintendent level officer.
- Madhubani Medical College
- Ram_Krishna_College(RK college)
- JN College
- JMDPL Mahila College
- DNY College
- Millat Teacher Training College
- Watson_High_School,_Madhubani(SNSDNG HS)
- Suri School(GMSS HS)
- Shiv Ganga girls School
- Indian Public School
- Polstar Public School
- Regional Public School
- Central Public School
- Vivekanand Mission School
- Delhi Public School
- Ayachi Mishra
- Udit Narayan
- Aditya Narayan
- Alok Nath
- Lalit Narayan Jha(Maithil Media)
- Birbal Jha
- Narendra Jha
- Mahasundari Devi
- Gajendra Thakur
- Sriram Jha
- Dhirendra Brahmachari
- Anil Jha Vats
- Arknath Chaudhary
- Ganganath Jha
- Chaturanan Mishra
- Shakeel Ahmad
- Mohammad Shams Aalam Shaikh
- Mohan Mishra
- Nitish Mishra
- Lalit Narayan Mishra
- Jagannath Mishra
- Ram, Bindeshwar (1998). Land and society in India: agrarian relations in colonial North Bihar. Orient Blackswan. ISBN 978-81-250-0643-5.
- "Madhubani | India | Britannica.com". britannica.com. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "MADHUBANI Pincode". citypincode.in. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "Maps, Weather, and Airports for Madhubani, India". fallingrain.com. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- "India Nepal Trade Agreement. India-Nepal Foreign Treaty of Trade Agreement". www.eximguru.com. Retrieved 12 September 2019.
- "Department of Customs, Nepal - Custom Contact Offices". www.customs.gov.np. Retrieved 12 September 2019.