Mäntyharju is located in the Finnish lake region
Location of Mäntyharju in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Jukka Ollikainen|
|• Total||1,210.98 km2 (467.56 sq mi)|
|• Land||981.76 km2 (379.06 sq mi)|
|• Water||229.23 km2 (88.51 sq mi)|
|Area rank||79th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||155th largest in Finland|
|• Density||6.01/km2 (15.6/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.6% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||13.6%|
|• 15 to 64||60.6%|
|• 65 or older||25.7%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19%|
It is located in the Southern Savonia region. The municipality has a population of 5,905 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 1,210.98 square kilometres (467.56 sq mi) of which 229.23 km2 (88.51 sq mi) is water. The coastline is almost 1,520 kilometers (940 mi). The population density is 6.2 inhabitants per km².
The summer houses or cottages located in the countryside are part of the culture of Finland where most Finnish families spend their summer holidays. Mäntyharju is the municipality which has the fifth most summer houses in Finland. Some of the reasons for Mäntyharju's popularity involve its many pure lakes and a relatively short distance to the Finnish capital Helsinki of approximately 200 kilometres by car. The municipality also has a direct, high-speed train connection to the capital area. Because of the many summer houses, the population of Mäntyharju more than doubles during the most popular summer holiday times.
Art Centre Salmela in Mäntyharju hosts one of Finland’s largest cultural events in July-August.
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Statistics Finland
Media related to Mäntyharju at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Mäntyharju – Official site